You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official 2013 Ashes Thread

A_S

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Australia, cause no one here wants the cunt any where near the fucking crowd let alone the pitch.

Was it just that it was early morning here and my ears hadn't woken up properly or could I hear 'Bopara' chants in the T20 game v NZ? :whistle:

Anyway, Compton has made runs against the Aussies in their tour 'opener'. Best way to respond to his axing and will keep the pressure on Root to deliver early in the series.

Nice to see Pattinson and Starc in the wickets too, as they are crucial to what slight chance we have in this series.

So with one more warm-up game to go, the Aussie team is looking something like:

1) Watson

2) Cowan

3) Hughes

4) Khawaja

5) Clarke

6) Faulkner

7) Haddin

8) Pattinson

9) Siddle

10) Harris

11) Lyon

I'd say that is a reasonable chance for the 1st Test. Note the bolded players are the only ones who are certainties though.

Moving on to England, will Bairstow bat at 6, given the apparent reluctance to move Prior up from 7?

Moving on to England, will Bairstow bat at 6, given the apparent reluctance to move Prior up from 7?

Yes he will, no doubt about that, the selectors like Prior at 7.

Think it is just a choice between Finn and Bairstow otherwise the team picks itself.

Think Bairstow will get the nod due to his batting giving him the edge. Finn is the quicker bowler, Bairstow however is the most likely to get reverse swing.

Can you really afford to leave Clarke at 5?

I think on paper we blow you away.

Cook

Root

Trott

Kev

Bell

Bairstow

Prior

Swann

Broad

Anderson

Finn

But the game aint played on paper.

Big concerns for you have to be Watson and Clarke, you are just an injury or falling out away from cannon fodder.

Fuck Australia are gonna get battered looking at them lineups. Common rain or a miracle

We hope so.

Was chatting to a mate who was saying how he hoped it would be such a close series for the sake of cricket.

When I asked him if the Aussies would have had the same attitude or just enjoy humiliating us he shut up.

As Gatting would agree, when you have the Aussies down, keep on kicking them.

We hope so.

Was chatting to a mate who was saying how he hoped it would be such a close series for the sake of cricket.

When I asked him if the Aussies would have had the same attitude or just enjoy humiliating us he shut up.

As Gatting would agree, when you have the Aussies down, keep on kicking them.

Too fucking right. It's how it should be, as one of the oldest and best rivalries in world sport. I'll bet the Aussies wouldn't want it any other way so that when they do get the Ashes back at some stage (hopefully sooner rather than fucking later!) it'll be well-deserved.

As a man of 30, I was proper spoilt growing up, as England last won the Ashes in '87 when I was 4, so too young to remember. So as I got older, all I can remember is Australia beating England, usually convincingly. It seemed like it would last forever, but like all good things, it came to an end.

I still maintain it won't be the whitewash some are expecting, even if I'm not confident of a series win.

Too fucking right. It's how it should be, as one of the oldest and best rivalries in world sport. I'll bet the Aussies wouldn't want it any other way so that when they do get the Ashes back at some stage (hopefully sooner rather than fucking later!) it'll be well-deserved.

As a man of 30, I was proper spoilt growing up, as England last won the Ashes in '87 when I was 4, so too young to remember. So as I got older, all I can remember is Australia beating England, usually convincingly. It seemed like it would last forever, but like all good things, it came to an end.

I still maintain it won't be the whitewash some are expecting, even if I'm not confident of a series win.

I fully agree mate, well not about you winning them back soon but you know what I mean. Gatting made those comments and then we didn't win down under for 30 odd years, you never know when a tide is going to turn, enjoy every moment of it.

I know you guys love your cricket and I expect this thread to be one of the busiest on the forum over the next couple of months. While you're waiting for the Ashes to start, you might like to try a couple of games I've created on Sporcle. The first asks you to name every batsman to have scored an Ashes test century since 1981, and the other asks you to name every bowler to have taken at least 5 wickets in an Ashes test innings, also going back to 1981. Have a go and see how well you can do. There are 'like' links for Facebook, Twitter and so on, so it would be much appreciated if you could spread the word because the more hits a game gets, the more likely it is that the Sporcle mods will verify and publish a game.

Batsmen that have scored a century in an Ashes series since 1981 Quiz by iDom - Sporcle Games & Trivia

Ashes bowlers to take 5 or more wickets in an innings since 1981 Quiz by iDom - Sporcle Games & Trivia

Mills has just done a 90mph deliver which has hit Swann on the wrist, his spinning hand.

Not good and he is in a lot of pain!

and now he has hit Bresnan on the helmet.

Swann has stayed on, but looks in a lot of pain - he should probably go off really.

Swann has history of injuries. Obviously this is just one that could have happened to anyone but why risk even playing him this close to the start of the Ashes?

Batsmen need to get into form following injuries, not so much with bowlers. The nets get the action flowing back into your game.

If Swann misses out not the ECB only have themselves to blame. He shouldn't be playing now.

My tickets came today for the Old Trafford Test, probably be rained off for all 5 days now that I've become all excited.

Yeah, got mine delivered too today, proper excited when I saw the LCCC on the envelope. What day(s) are you going Yozzer? I'm there for the Friday, staying in a hotel in the city centre afterwards, gonna get wasted I reckon.