You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mendoza

Did Argo win, then?

just watched it now. It was decent but nothing more than that. Solid 7.5/10.

Seen several way better movies in 2012 that Argo, like.

Weird.

Also, if was up for Best Film, how come Afleck wasn't up for Best Director?

Also weird.

It was always going to win. A movie in which movie producers help rescue American hostages from Iran was always going to win, especially when it's being judged by movie producers for the oscar :whistle:

"The satire site The Onion apologized for an Oscar night tweet that jokingly called Quvenzhané Wallis, the 9-year-old star of "Beasts of the Southern Wild," a crude word for female genitalia.

The joke outraged many readers and shocked executives at Fox Searchlight, the studio behind her Oscar-nominated film. The furor was immediate enough that The Onion, which thrives on borderline jokes, took the unusual step of deleting the tweet within about an hour.

"Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhane Wallis is kind of a cunt, right?" the Onion tweeted.

The joke, of course, was the idea that anyone would say anything offensive about the sweet-faced Wallis. But the site was immediately accused of racism and sexism, as well as trying to hide behind irony.

"It was crude and offensive -- not to mention inconsistent with the Onion's commitment to parody and satire, however biting," Steve Hannah, the Onion's CEO, said in a statement. "No person should be subjected to such a senseless, humorless comment masquerading as satire."

He added that the individuals responsible would face disciplinary action and the publication would tighten its procedures for Twitter.

The disgust over the tweet was immediate. One distressed Fox Searchlight executive showed the tweet to a reporter at the post-Oscars Governor's Ball, wondering who would write something so offensive. But Fox Searchlight declined to comment on the record.

Wallis, also attending the party, appeared unaware of the tweet as she twirled solo on the dance floor to Frank Sinatra tunes, sung by Michael Feinstein.

Wendell Pierce, an actor who starred in "The Wire" and "Treme," urged the Onion to name the writer behind the joke.

"Identify the writer," he wrote in a tweet. "Let him defend that abhorrent verbal attack of a child. You call it humor, I call it horrendous."

Hahaha

• 1 year later...

Given the time differences, it's an interesting coincidence that tonight's Oscars ceremony will be happening at roughly the same time as the start of the Oscar Pistorius trial, and that both will involve legless people who have previously stumbled down red coloured carpets, but for quite different reasons.

• Upvote 1

Given the time differences, it's an interesting coincidence that tonight's Oscars ceremony will be happening at roughly the same time as the start of the Oscar Pistorius trial, and that both will involve legless people who have previously stumbled down red coloured carpets, but for quite different reasons.

Brutal. 

Glad the best actor won best actor.

Indeed. McConaughy has been terrific recently. I'm also glad that Alfonso Cuaron won Best Director for Gravity because he has been a consistently excellent director since making his breakthrough over a decade ago. That said, both Chiwetel Ejiofor and Steve McQueen were unlucky to miss out on those respective awards despite making a brilliant film which was justifiably awarded Best Picture. Cate Blanchett has been nominated numerous times without winning the big one so as an Academy favourite, she's finally landed the Best Actress award. Perhaps the biggest loser on the night was American Hustle, which had a nomination in all the major categories but didn't win any.

Best Picture: 12 Years A Slave

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)

Best Actor: Matthew McConaughy (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita N'yongo (12 Years A Slave)

I too thought WOWS was the years best film. Easily.

I thought 12 Years A Slave was bang average. Very worthy but it's been done before far, far better. Mississppi Burining, Roots, The Colour Purple, even Django all piss all over 12 Years imo.

I thought Cuaron was a very worthy winner for Best Director. I saw Gravity in 3D at the pics and I was completely gripped, enthralled, real edge of the seat stuff, and with 2 actors as limited as Bullock and Clooney and such a spartan canvass to work with that's a great achievement.

Thought McConaughy was brilliant, but I thought DiCaprio was even better. That lad just gave a breathless tour de force, a career best moment, and he should have won imo.

Haven't seen Blue Jasmine, but not a big fan of Cate Blanchett or of Woody Allen tbh.

Unlike Stig though I though Leto was brilliant as the AIDS riddled tranny in Dallas Buyers Club, but I thought Daniel Bruhl who played Nikki Lauda in Rush was simply amazing. Thought he should have scooped the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

Haven't seed Dallas Buyers Club or 12 years a slave to be honest 

Its not Leto's acting, its his eyes. Fucking freak me out them bastards. 

Mississippi Burning is a fucking great film. 

Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films i've seen in years but Di Caprio was better in Blood Diamond as far as an oscar goes I reckon. Who won it over him that year? 

EDIT: Just checked, it was Forest Whittaker for Last King Of Scotland. Also up was Will Smith for Pursuit of Happiness. 

Tough crowd. 

Haven't seed Dallas Buyers Club or 12 years a slave to be honest 

Its not Leto's acting, its his eyes. Fucking freak me out them bastards. 

Mississippi Burning is a fucking great film. 

Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films i've seen in years but Di Caprio was better in Blood Diamond as far as an oscar goes I reckon. Who won it over him that year? 

EDIT: Just checked, it was Forest Whittaker for Last King Of Scotland. Also up was Will Smith for Pursuit of Happiness. 

Tough crowd. 

Didn't think DiCaprio was especially fantastic in Blood Diamond. Thought Forest Whittaker was fully deserving for his take on that mentalist Idi Amin. Thought McEvoy was excellent too.

Didn't think DiCaprio was especially fantastic in Blood Diamond. Thought Forest Whittaker was fully deserving for his take on that mentalist Idi Amin. Thought McEvoy was excellent too.

I rated him. But I do love that film. He also looks older in it than any other film he has done. even the Titanic. 

• Upvote 1