You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't think you'll get the answer you want, Durango.

But, like our current inability to attract players from the top drawer, we can't attract managers of a similar ilk. So it's either opt for a journeyman or take a punt on youth and potential. FSG have taken a punt on youth and potential. The same way we're going to have to with players.

I'd hardly call Van Gaal,AVB etc etc journeymen, would you?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to cheer you up, I reckon there will be some real transfer activity at the club over after this weekend is done with.

Just be fucking patient, start another football quiz thread or something.

you're all over the fucking shop on this thread

Tom Werner's interview playing on SSN today seems to encapsulate so much about the current debate about the owners; their much repeated mantra about wanting to see the club back at the top level but with no explanation about how this might realistically be achieved, no news on the stadium, being ready to spend money but only from what the club earns, the faith they are putting in Rodgers to make decisions and bland statements about Carroll being 'on the team' for the moment or somesuch.

He speaks very well without actually saying anything. I was beguiled by these 'shrewd businessmen' when they first came in and the way they appeared to go after the club with such intent supported by the way they had transformed the Redsox's fortunes. I feel much less confident now

Tom Werner is a multi-millionaire with an impressive reputation for being a media expert; he didn't get there by giving straight answers to questions.

Vague generalities with a layer of encouragement. "Progress" "Vision" "Potential". These are keywords, say them as often as you can as quickly as you can.

Money has clearly been the single biggest factor in determining the league winners since the advent of the Premier League. Arsenal could arguably claim to have briefly bucked the trend of relying on financial muscle to generate success. However, Chelsea, both Manchester clubs and even Blackburn all depended upon their financial clout to provide a competitive advantage. C’est la vie.

From the outset FSG have made it clear that they have no intention of throwing their own money at our problems and that responsibility rests with the club to finance its affairs. Personally I don’t have a problem with this approach as a) they have been upfront about their intentions and b) our club was facing extinction until they came on board. There is nothing to suggest that there was a queue of benevolent benefactors waiting in the wings during our darkest hours. In fact, the club only attracted two substantive bids despite being on the market for months.

If appears we are going to have to be shrewder and more efficient than other clubs if we are to return to former glories. I would describe FSG’s performance to date as “middling” at best – the fact that they have boosted revenues and honoured their promise to reinvest profits in the squad has to be weighed against things like the Suarez debacle and their failure to appoint a CEO.

Ian Ayre strikes me as a capable Managing Director and he has displayed an aptitude for negotiating sponsorship deals, expanding the brand into new markets, and increasing corporate facilities. However, I am much less convinced about his ability to juggle a dual role of MD/CEO. The day to day running of club operations demands dedicated attention. The CEO should be the one politicking with the FA, liaising with the manager / club lawyers / board in relation to player negotiations, overseeing our PR strategy, nipping the Suarez situation in the bud, ensuring that our HR needs are being met at all levels of the club etc. This is one obvious area where FSG can make immediate improvements.

There are some tentative signs that we may be moving in the right direction - a redevelopment of Anfield looks increasingly likely and a process of engagement appears to be underway with a view to securing the land required from adjacent homeowners, new management and scouting teams have been installed, commercial revenues have increased significantly, efforts are being made to address the bloated wage bill, and the excellent work all those involved with the Academy have undertaken appears to be on the cusp of bearing fruit.

Rodgers appointment represents the acid test for FSG. Brendan is undoubtedly FSG’s man and it will be telling to see what sort of backing he receives. I think we underachieved last season although we did have more than our fair share of bad luck with injuries to key men and Suarez’s disputed suspension being two key contributing factors. I honestly believe we have a better squad than either Everton or Newcastle and it remains to be seen how Spurs and Arsenal will shape up without Modric and Van Persie respectively.

In terms of our prospects, Rodgers has already taken steps to address our biggest deficiency last season by bringing in Borini. The US Tour has provided the fringe / younger members of our squad with ample opportunity to show what they can contribute and our manager should have a clear picture of the areas which require an upgrade upon his return to the UK. Rodgers is plainly trying to introduce a different tactical setup and appears to favour a more structured approach. I am hopeful that many of our younger players such as Henderson and Shelvey will improve significantly when given more defined roles on the pitch.

Downing, Cole, Aquilani and Carroll have woefully underperformed since coming to the club but hopefully they can show more of the performances that persuaded our previous managers to buy them if they are afforded another chance. Our squad should also be boosted by the emergence of Robinson, Suso and Sterling amongst others.

It will be exciting to see how Rodgers faces up to the formidable challenge that our club presents. He will quickly learn that teams sit off at Anfield far more than they ever would against the likes of Swansea. I will be much more optimistic about our prospects if we succeed in bringing in one or two players with the ability to take on and beat a player with trickery and pace as this would allow us to open up space in a condensed final third. All too often last season we monopolised possession but lacked penetration against the lesser teams. The goal this season must surely be to at least challenge for a Champions League place. It will be easy to measure the extent of the owners’ ambitions if we achieve qualification as we will see how they utilise the financial windfall.

Ideally I would like us to become a self sustaining club with a thriving youth setup along the lines of Ajax or Borrussia Dortmund. I think we need to adopt a long term strategy if our ownership model is going to be successful. The introduction of FFP, if it actually comes to pass, should accelerate our development by allowing us compete on a more even playing field. Ultimately I don’t think the Man City or Chelsea approach is sustainable as their success will only last as long as they can outspend everybody else. Time will tell how we get on but it would be great if everybody could once again get behind the club as the infighting and bickering over the past few years has been deeply unpleasant. Onwards and upwards.

Which manager isn't ever a gamble?

I applaud FSG for doing it if anything. I;'m sure they could have thrown a massive contract at some twat like Capello or AvB and then given them £30m to get on with and then sacked them 18 months down the line when we yet again didn't get near the title. But I think it's a brave move to do what they did and look for managers with some substance, and a modern understanding of the game, and who understood what Liverpool were all about.

Not for one second am I envious of Spurs with AvB, that's just as big a gamble, if not more. AVB had a win rate of 47.5% at Chelsea, compare that with Hodgson's rate of 41.94% or Kenny's rate of 47.3% in his second spell with us. How is that more of a gamble than Rodgers, realistically?

Football management is 75% about character, and 25% about technical/tactical knowledge, in my opinion. Ferguson passed on his knowledge to McLaren, but McLaren couldn't dominate a room like Ferguson can. Steve Bruce thought he had the chat but he didn't have the brains, Mourinho dominates his team, but also has the ideas. AvB needs to be respected and admired before the players will take his teaching on-board, and I just dont think he'd have been strong enough at this club.

Kenny should never have been hired, let alone sacked.

But then we can trace all this back to the sacking of Benitez, which was the ground zero in our recent footballing history.

Anyway.

I think people, you included, just need to settle down a little bit. I'll be first in line with a burning torch and pitchfork if FSG fuck us around, but quite honestly this is unchartered territory for this club to be so adrift of the leaders of the division. We've not known a period like this for 50 years quite honestly, where we're not realistically in the front pack. So quite how you can judge FSG on what they should and shouldn't be doing is beyond me at this point.

Hang on. 'some twat' like Capello or AVB?

So you're saying Rodgers is a braver choice and has a better understanding of the modern game than Villas-Boas? Who is younger and has won a league title and a European title?

Please explain.

I can't wait for this, it seems unlikely that you will be able to make yourself look a bigger twat than you have already effortlessly managed, but this could be your chance: go for it!

Money has clearly been the single biggest factor in determining the league winners since the advent of the Premier League. .

A very good post overall.

The only point that I disagree with you on is that FFP plays to our advantage – I believe the reverse is true.

Man U and Arsenal are kicking in an extra £1.5m+ at the gate per game and £30m minimum on CL football.That is a mountain for us to climb. City have a £400m naming rights deal behind them and the opportunity to raise cash/mitigate losses, by dumping surplus playing staff. Chelsea, CL winners, in the most expensive part of London, one of the worlds great cities will be able to cobble together a naming rights deal to balance the books.

The idea that we can return to the CL, let alone win it or challenge for the PL on a self sustaining basis is a fantasy. Leeds were the last team to take on the top flight, and win, on football alone, over two decades ago.

LFC needs capital investment in the team, and in the stadium, now.

Tom Werner is a multi-millionaire with an impressive reputation for being a media expert; he didn't get there by giving straight answers to questions.

Vague generalities with a layer of encouragement. "Progress" "Vision" "Potential". These are keywords, say them as often as you can as quickly as you can.

"Irish wristwatch"; try saying that as often and as quickly as you can

Yes, but also failed miserably in this league with Chelsea. I can see the reasons they avoided Villas Boas, though I would have been happy enough with him.

He may have failed at Chelsea,

but like Mourinho and Benitez in 2004,

he was one of the most sought young coach's in Europe,

Who,besides us (cheap option)was banging a drum for Rodgers

Is that supposed to be a poem? If no, why have you written it like that?

I am not trying to convince you about Rodgers. As I said orginally, you won't get the answer you are looking for.

FSG went for youth and potential. We'll see how it pans out and if they were right or not.

I am not trying to convince you about Rodgers. As I said orginally, you won't get the answer you are looking for.

FSG went for youth and potential. We'll see how it pans out and if they were right or not.

No they never,

they went for a cheap option and dressed it up as being,

forward thinking and progressive,

Rodgers is the biggest gamble we taken with a manager in modern times

No they never,

It was obviously a subjective view just like yours is.

Time will tell if you are right, or FSG.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No they never,

The cheap option. Hmn. Nope, the cheap option was keeping Kenny. Paying Swansea millions to release Rodgers, and millions to Kenny and his staff, quite simply isn't the cheap option.

Guest davelfc
The cheap option. Hmn. Nope, the cheap option was keeping Kenny. Paying Swansea millions to release Rodgers, and millions to Kenny and his staff, quite simply isn't the cheap option.

It depends, if you think Kenny would have wanted to challenge for the top then Rodgers challenging for 4th would be the cheaper option.

I don't believe (and I know I am not alone) that our owners want to or can afford to challenge city or chelsea.

That doesn't mean that a decent manager cannot challenge them, it just doesn't make it that likely.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. Likewise it's taken some pretty clever work to convince some that Rodgers is not a fucking huge risk, maybe if I snap my fingers a load of people will suddenly wake up screaming.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It depends, if you think Kenny would have wanted to challenge for the top then Rodgers challenging for 4th would be the cheaper option.

Well, they can set whatever transfer budget they like? As for Rodgers... doesn't seem like the sort to just settle for 4th and not care about anything but the weekly pay packet.

Likewise it's taken some pretty clever work to convince some that Rodgers is not a fucking huge risk, maybe if I snap my fingers a load of people will suddenly wake up screaming.

It was a bigger risk to stay with Kenny, in my honest opinion. I think Rodgers will do very well, assuming there's another couple of additions to be made.

Guest davelfc
Well, they can set whatever transfer budget they like? As for Rodgers... doesn't seem like the sort to just settle for 4th and not care about anything but the weekly pay packet.

It was a bigger risk to stay with Kenny, in my honest opinion. I think Rodgers will do very well, assuming there's another couple of additions to be made.

I'm sure Rodgers will and does work very hard, there are plenty of managers that have been sacked and have worked hard though. I'm sure none of them really wanted to fail.

I thought it was more sensible to stick with Kenny, give him that other year and give Rodgers another year to prove himself in the premiership. I keep going back to the Ipswich fiasco with Burley.

It really doesn't matter now, Rodgers is the man in charge and I support him. It's not going to be pretty here if the happy clappy brigade stop taking their medication though.

It really doesn't matter now, Rodgers is the man in charge and I support him. It's not going to be pretty here if the happy clappy brigade stop taking their medication though.

Who are the 'happy clappy brigade'? Those not willing to write Rodgers off before a ball is kicked?

If so, sign me up.

Them hotbeds of football Watford and Swansea-with a pedigree like that I can see why your raving about Rodgers.