You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rob Jones

Bjornebye

He was quality, best rb I've seen at the club, followed by Arbeloa. It would have been a very interesting battle for the rb spot in the England team between him and Neville. Without the red specs on there wasn't much between the two to be honest.

Was you in a coma or something one Marcus Babbel played for us? Was better than both, absolutely world class before he got that weird disease.

Not to take anything away from Jones who was brilliant, think he gets slightely overated though. I've seen him described as one of our greatest defenders put in all time reds elevens and everything.

Markus Babbel was indeed top class, and it was a massive shame that GBS robbed him of his career. At the time we seemed to be on a run of good right-backs being stricken by illness and injury. He was very sound defensively and could contribute to the attack. Remember the Goodison derby when he charged the length of the field to find the net after we cleared an Everton corner?

Incidentally, a couple of months back on one of the transfer threads, I mentioned that I would like us to sign players who play for clubs that are expected to challenge for trophies and titles, at least on a domestic level if not Europe. My point was that these players know the mindset required to handle the pressure of expectation and will possess a bit more savvy when dealing with teams that park the bus. I'd also add that the players must remain hungry for success on the pitch (not been-there-done-that types after a big payday) and I'd also add that if the right player becomes available, we should be in the market to sign him even if he doesn't necessarily have the background or experience I've outlined above. We did this when signing the likes of Alonso, Torres and Arbeloa - players who were ready to make that step up.

The reason that I mention it here is that Markus Babbel fit that criteria perfectly. He'd been very successful with Bayern Munich and Germany, and knew he could cope with the weight of expectation.

honourary mention for Steve Finnan too who was very solid and reliable for us

Phil Neal is our all time RB though surely? Lawler was boss too for his sheer amount of goals

I'd disagree mate cos I reckon Stevie Nicol is the greatest full back (left or right) we've ever had. Nico was unbelieveable, one of the greatest players I've ever seen.

• 3 years later...

It wasn't actually; it's strange but the start to this season is just reminding me of when I started going to the game on a semi regular basis and my blind optimism seems to be returning, that in turn is reminding me of the awesome players we had back then.

• Upvote 1