You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UEFA Cup

JohnnyH

Excited to see who we get, I proper cant wait for the season to get going

It's obviously a bit different for Liverpool than City, since (generally speaking) it's a bit new to us still...

But I still get a buzz out of foreign fans visiting and hopefully going away with a good feeling (but zero points!). European nights are special.

The only downside is that it's hard to afford sometimes and the atmosphere down a bit when there's not a full house. I'm not trynna start a 'can't fill your ground' argument - I think it's something all clubs face with the economy, crap timing and fixture congestion to boot.

I think one problem for Liverpool will be you're a real scalp... there'll be a lot of clubs / players dying to play at Anfield and will play out of their skins against you.

It's the whole slog from August to the knockout rounds in the new year, plus the Thursday/Sunday schedule that give this competition its current poor standing imo.

It is basically the UEFA cup but massively overbloated at the start. When it gets to the last few rounds, it definitely feels like the old UEFA cup. The standard is usually very good at that stage.

I think they should look at the teams dropping in from the CL as well. I know we have benefited but it just seems wrong and unfair to teams that have been in from the start. The CL teams will have already made more money from 6 group games than continuing in another competition.

Agree with the winners getting at least a CL qualifying place (3rd round maybe). Group stage would probably be pushing it.

It's a good introduction to Brendan to being the manager of a European campaign. Hopefully we go all the way. The Uefa cup is not as special as it once was, but hey, it's another European campaign. It isn't the CL and it's upsetting that we allowed it to get to the point that even fucking Chelsea get to win that. We need to have this one final fling with the Uefa though and get back to the CL next year by hook or by crook.

The Thursday night games is something I have a problem with though from a personal perspective as it means our PL games will be on Sundays and that makes it far more difficult ofr me travel wise I have to take the Mondays off every time I'm over.

The possibility of making it a long weekend with Thursday and Sunday games opens up a bit more though and if we are playing home before the Arsenal game that is exactly what I will do.

For those interested in the Saturday vs Sunday debate this is the difference

Without Europa League last season this is how it looked like before Christmas:

Saturdays: 11 games

Sundays: 4 games

Mondays: 1 game

Tue/Wed: 1 game

Only 5 of those Saturday games were played at 3pm local time. One of the Sunday games was played then because an opponent had to play Thursday night.

I don't care what day we're playing, it's great to be back in Europe.

I think I read something about the seeded teams playing at home last in the last round of qualifiers before the group stage.

Can anyone confirm this?

If I'm correct that should mean we will play at home on the Thursday before the Arsenal game.

Do anyone know?

A lot of football to be played before the 3rd Qualifying round is clear about what seeded teams are through.

But we are certain to be one of the highest ranked teams in that draw and from past experience, the seeded teams are away first.

Edit: Sorry, I meant play-off round.

Edited by gumps

I think I read something about the seeded teams playing at home last in the last round of qualifiers before the group stage.

Can anyone confirm this?

If I'm correct that should mean we will play at home on the Thursday before the Arsenal game.

Do anyone know?

The only time top seed clubs are guaranteed to play at home second leg is the round after the group phase. When you have won your group.