You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalglish: Stewart Downing is better than I thought

Guest LFD

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Enrique needs to improve his attacking and his decision making on the ball if he wants to be a Spain regular.

When you have Downing ahead of you of course you'll attack less and defend more.

His decision making is good. Nothing wrong with that. Even when under pressure he pass the ball well. Calm whenever under pressure and he is also skillful and not afraid to bring the ball up.

The only thing he needs to improve is his positioning. Sometimes got caught up easily.

When you have Downing ahead of you of course you'll attack less and defend more.

His decision making is good. Nothing wrong with that. Even when under pressure he pass the ball well. Calm whenever under pressure and he is also skillful and not afraid to bring the ball up.

The only thing he needs to improve is his positioning. Sometimes got caught up easily.

And his final ball. It's normally shit.

The only error I remember from Enrique this season was against the mongrels when he allowed Rafael to cross for Park to score, other than that he has been solid and very reliable........his run out of defence and subsequent crossfield pass against Wolves which led to one of the goals was absolutely top class.

that was more like it, shouldn't matter whether we are playing Brighton or Barcelona, he needs to have that confidence to beat his man and get a cross in instead of cutting back inside and passing backwards everytime

not every cross came off for him but would rather see him do that than be no threat at all

its a confidence/mentality thing with Downing not a lack of quality

Really won me over with his performance today, the guy is fast becoming one of my favourite Liverpool players.

When the chips are down you need Redmen with balls the size of this lad's balls. Must admit I was sceptical at first - taking a punt on a player whom you've plucked from obscurity always carries the element of risk - but Stewie has been a revelation. I know he's only been here a few months but I'd like to thank this great servant of the club for everything. That goal against Oldham Athletic; the assist today; all those times he pulled us out of the shit with his unerring ability to strike the post.

So much negativity in this thread; look, players of his ilk don't come around often so let's just enjoy him while we can. He's bound to have ambitions - his talent demands it - and it's only a matter of time until the mid-table clubs start sniffing round.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

FUCK OFF DOWNING YOU SHITHOUSE TWAT

Really won me over with his performance today, the guy is fast becoming one of my favourite Liverpool players.

When the chips are down you need Redmen with balls the size of this lad's balls. Must admit I was sceptical at first - taking a punt on a player whom you've plucked from obscurity always carries the element of risk - but Stewie has been a revelation. I know he's only been here a few months but I'd like to thank this great servant of the club for everything. That goal against Oldham Athletic; the assist today; all those times he pulled us out of the shit with his unerring ability to strike the post.

So much negativity in this thread; look, players of his ilk don't come around often so let's just enjoy him while we can. He's bound to have ambitions - his talent demands it - and it's only a matter of time until the mid-table clubs start sniffing round.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

FUCK OFF DOWNING YOU SHITHOUSE TWAT

Post of the century.

Stewart Downing is determined to transform his fortunes after admitting his form has been affected by the ‘culture shock’ of swapping Aston Villa for Liverpool.

The England winger cost £20million when he joined Liverpool seven months ago but only created his first goal in 30 appearances for the club in last Sunday’s 6-1 win over Brighton.

With Craig Bellamy fit to face Cardiff in the Carling Cup final on Sunday, Downing’s place in Liverpool’s Wembley team is vulnerable and he said: ‘I have been on the bench sometimes, whereas at other clubs I have been used to playing every week more or less.

‘That has been hard to get used to. It has been a little bit of a culture shock. But I have adapted to that and you just have to be ready when you get called upon.

‘It has been a bit up and down for me but you have just got to keep your head down and keep working hard.’

Downing added: ‘I expected pressure but I didn’t expect it to be as big as it has been. You are under the microscope every day.’

But the 27-year-old has said he will knuckle down, adding that Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish watches everything.

'The easy thing is to spit the dummy out and point out everything around that is going wrong,' he said.

'I have had some good games and some indifferent games and I have been on the bench sometimes when I have been used to playing every week.

'That has been a bit hard getting used to but I have adapted quite well, I think But the only thing you can do is keep training well.

'If you are not training well you won't be picked - Kenny addressed that on day one.

Read more: Stewart Downing feeling the pressure at Liverpool | Mail Online

Still, nice to know he's even better than Kenny thought he was eh.

The only 'culture shock' Downing has faced is moving from a city that's stuck in the 70's, where they still point at airplanes with awe and reverence, to a city that has running water and electricity for more than six hours a day and new fangled 'coffee shops'.

Grow a set, get your head down and fucking graft for the opportunity that millions would crawl over broken syringes for.

Shit hair as well.