You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anne Williams e petition

Guest San Don

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anne Williams: Thank you all - Liverpool FC

Anne Williams has today taken a major step in her battle to get justice for her son Kevin after over 100,000 people signed an e-petition.

Kevin was just 15 years old when he died at Hillsborough and his mother launched the online e-petition as part of an appeal into overturning the accidental death verdict placed on him.

Today's developments mean that a government debate could now take place, looking at the possibility of a new inquest into Kevin's death.

Mrs Williams thanked everyone who had shown their support.

"Thank you everyone, honestly, from the bottom of my heart for signing and supporting me," she said.

"It's been 23 years of living with lies and I cannot go away until I get justice for Kevin."

Two days ago 35,000 names were on the petition. Then, in a remarkable forty eight hours, that amount trebled to take the count up to the required figure of over 100,000 signatures.

Anne said: "I just can't believe it. The way it was going down last night and then came the support.

"It's the last day today and I wasn't sure when they were going to stop the petition, whether it was twelve o'clock this morning or twelve o'clock tonight because it doesn't say - it's been nerve-wracking.

"We got there. I just cannot believe it."

Mrs Williams has always said that Kevin was still alive at 4pm and did not die from traumatic asphyxia. Original inquests into the disaster ruled all the victims were dead by 3.15pm.

"I have been lied to from the outset and I cannot live with these lies," she added. "If he got a new inquest it would change the cause of death and it's in the interest of justice that he does because I cannot live anymore with the lies.

"Also, this will help all the other 95 families as well. Kevin died at 4 o'clock and he was save-able."

For the discussion to go ahead Anne will also need the support of MPs and today she confirmed she will get in touch with her local MP, Stephen Moseley.

Anne added: "Hopefully now this e-petition will help me with my submission to the Attorney General.

"I want the Attorney General to look at the evidence again and send Kevin's case back to the divisional court recommending a new inquest into the death of my son."

EDIT it also closed with 113,222.

very pleased

Guest San Don

Heard this on the M6 driving home tonight! Its great news. I really didnt think we'd be able to pull this one off considering how few had signed up on Monday.

Everyone deserves a big pat on the back for achieving the target. Anne Williams gets a fighting chance for the real truth to come out.

But let's never forget, the fight for justice is still not won yet.

To watch the numbers steadily increase over the day as more and more people signed it was incredible. I just kept hitting refresh, willing the figures to increase. Every click saw 100s more people adding their names in support. Every signature made a difference. Even those who didn't/couldn't sign, have been made aware.

I can only hope now that those responsible will be made to answer the question, finally, about what happened to Anne Williams' boy.