You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Terry to be charged

Teflon Don

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From The Guardian:

John Terry to face criminal charges over alleged racist abuse | Football | guardian.co.uk

The Crown Prosecution Service has announced that John Terry will face criminal charges relating to an alleged racist slur aimed at the QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

Terry, who denies wrongdoing, will appear before West London magistrates' court on 1 February 2012.

The news follows the CPS's recent confirmation that it had received additional evidence, thought to be new video footage of the incident, which allegedly occurred during Chelsea's defeat at Loftus Road on 23 October.

Shortly after the allegations were made, Terry issued a statement saying: "I've seen that there's a lot of comments on the internet with regards to some video footage of me during the game. I'm disappointed that people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand. I would never say such a thing, and I'm saddened that people would think so."

Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor for London said: "I have today advised the Metropolitan Police Service that John Terry should be prosecuted for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments allegedly made during a Premier League football match between Queen's Park Rangers and Chelsea on 23 October 2011.

"The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case.

"Mr Terry will appear before West London Magistrates' Court on 1 February 2012. He is now summonsed with a criminal offence and has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that nothing should be reported which could prejudice his trial."

The development follows Tuesday's decision by the Football Association to ban the Liverpool striker Luis Suárez for eight matches and fine him £40,000 after he was found guilty of misconduct, regarding the use of "insulting words" towards Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

An interesting development.

From the FA's point of view, this is good news, as it takes the responsibility out of their hands. If he is guilty, they can punish him with a playing ban with no risk. If he is innocent there will be no pressure on them to do anything.

Which begs a question.Might Suarez have been better advised to raise the stakes and challenge Evra to make a criminal complaint?

This is what is supposed when a person has racially abused another. What happened to Suarez is a farce.

This is worse and the racist tag will stick with him much more than Suarez.

Prosecuting John Terry "in public interest" with "sufficient evidence" and "realistic prospect of conviction", CPS says

An interesting development.

From the FA's point of view, this is good news, as it takes the responsibility out of their hands. If he is guilty, they can punish him with a playing ban with no risk. If he is innocent there will be no pressure on them to do anything.

Which begs a question.Might Suarez have been better advised to raise the stakes and challenge Evra to make a criminal complaint?

Far better off I would have thought.

Evra's original claim of 10 times would have seen to it being thrown out.

What will the FA do then? I've got a feeling they'll simply act like it's been dealt with once the police have finished with him.

Or would that not be allowed to let happen?

If he gets found guilty they will have to ban him.It would have to be more than 8 games IMO.

Suarez never denied what was said between the two from what has been reported,only contested that it was racist abuse.Terry has claimed to have said nothing.