You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sut

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensible Soccer was the most playable game for me on the SNES, not sure how popular it was though?

It was too easy on the snes. Preferred it on the PC.

Super Tennis was a brilliant game.

I preferred Mario Kart on the N64.

Super Soccer was good fun.

Street Fighter II was epic.

I enjoyed Royal Rumble, which was a WWF game.

Kevin Keegan Football management was quite good as well.

Bomberman was enjoyable.

Shame about the 2 controller ports on the Snes. 4 player bomberman ranks as my favourite game to play with 3 friends and a crate of beer.

Mario Kart on the 64 was way more playable, and the introduction of an easy 4 player set up made the game as playable as long as you had friends.

Shame about the 2 controller ports on the Snes. 4 player bomberman ranks as my favourite game to play with 3 friends and a crate of beer.

Mario Kart on the 64 was way more playable, and the introduction of an easy 4 player set up made the game as playable as long as you had friends.

No way. Mario kart on the snes has still not been beaten to this day

Hmm, the N64 game definitely 'seemed' easier. Maybe it's just because I put more hours into it, I couldn't even unlock Rainbow Road in the SNES version.

You could still do a little hop in the N64 version, they also added a powerslide boost so you could gain extra speed out of every corner.

Sadly I now live in a time and place where gaming is behind me :(

It may be but wasn't it dumbed down slightly? I seem to remember they did away with the little hop you could do to power slide round the corners but I might be talking out of my arse.

You are talking out of your arse.

You could get four player on the Snes, but you had to buy an adaptor. I had Jimmy Connors Tennis and my mate had Superbomberman both four players and we use it a few times.

I think the majority of hardcore Nintendoers rank the original Mario Kart above the 64 incarnation, as woody says. I kind of sucked at it, and didn't think it was that good. Too many power-ups for a racing game.

I think the majority of hardcore Nintendoers rank the original Mario Kart above the 64 incarnation, as woody says. I kind of sucked at it, and didn't think it was that good. Too many power-ups for a racing game.

Completed both versions, but always preferred N64 as it looked alot better, although i never actually owned either!

Both quality though.

It was certainly rated higher by the critics. From wikipedia

Since being released Super Mario Kart has been listed among the best games ever made several times. IGN ranked it as the 15th best game ever in 2005, describing it as "the original karting masterpiece" and as the 23rd best game ever in 2007, discussing its originality at time of release.[5][43] The Age placed it at number 19 on their list of the 50 best games in 2005 and in 2007 Edge ranked Super Mario Kart at number 14 on a list of their 100 best games, noting its continued influence on video game design.[12][13] The game is also included in Yahoo Games UK's list of the hundred greatest games of all time which praises the appealing characters and power ups and 1UP.com's "Essential 50", a list of the fifty most important games ever made.[11][44] The game placed 13th in Official Nintendo Magazine's 100 greatest Nintendo games of all time.[45] Guinness World Records ranked it at number 1 on a list of the top 50 console games of all time based on initial impact and lasting legacy.[15]

Several sequels to Super Mario Kart have been brought out for successive generations of Nintendo consoles, each receiving commercial success and critical acclaim.[51] The first of these, Mario Kart 64 was released in 1997 for the Nintendo 64 and was the first Mario Kart game to feature fully 3D graphics.[52] Although reviewers including IGN and GameSpot felt that the single player gameplay was lacking compared to its predecessor, the simultaneous four-person multiplexer modes – a first for the Nintendo 64 – were praised

Super Mario Kart remains one of my favourite games, and pisses all over the N64 version.

Without getting all super-nerdy about it, it was far more about your ability to control your kart than the N64 version, where the weapons were far too powerful. Three red shells?!? And a blue shell that automatically takes out the leader?!? Get the fuck out of here!

Pilotwings, nice work Sut.

BTW, Snes mariokart was far superior game. The control and handling of the karts was just about perfect. But you had to put the hours in to really master it. Needless to say I wasted months and months on it.

This - it coincided with my university life, and I spent a significant amount of time getting stoned playing Mario Kart...

It was the control that was so great and there was nothing more satisfying than getting a race on the button. Bowser or Donkey Kong on 150cc could really shift!

It may be but wasn't it dumbed down slightly? I seem to remember they did away with the little hop you could do to power slide round the corners but I might be talking out of my arse.

Correct, it was indeed. For real MarioKart fanboys the SNES version is the "purest" racer in the series and many of the additions (and omissions) to the N64 version did not go down well.

I don't know, I didn't play it, but I loved the N64 version anyway.

But you're right.