You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I work as an independent security consultant, and business has never been better.

Whether that's down to the recession or not, I don't know.

My core clients haven't changed much, but I am getting a lot more referrals for sub-contracting from a couple of the bigger firms and it's at the point where I can now cherry pick the better jobs rather than having to take on the shit work I did when I first started out.

I'm an IT analyst, work tends to be cyclical. Companies think "we want to do this" or "we used to do this now we do this", so you get bought in. Then further down the line they ask those questions again so you get redeployed or moved out. Been made redundant twice and it will happen again I just accept it and get on with it. I've never had more than a week out of work so touch wood that will continue as I'm a hands on analyst rather doing something more nebulous like project manager etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

Just been made redundant out of the blue. Complete surprise.

The reasons are bullshit but i've been offered a very good package.

Do i fight it and possibly lose a lot of the package or just accept that they're all cunts, take the money and run?

Do i fight it and possibly lose a lot of the package or just accept that they're all cunts, take the money and run?

Shite news mate. I'm hazy here, but seem to remember you're Local government?

Depends on your line of work. Think I'd take it and try my luck elsewhere. LG is a shit place to be at the mo', and I understand if you've started the pension its kind of difficult to move private for it. But I think I'd be fairly confident of getting another job quickly enough that most of the severance package wouldn't be spent.

Good luck with whatever happens tho'.

Virtually all the management at my place has been laid off. I'm not exaggerating here, but there are only about five 'managers' now covering five offices across Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales covering about 100 staff, they're all high level bosses too, there is only one operating as a 'day-to-day' ground level middle manager. This makes things unworkable unless people 'step up' and fill the gaps, which we're all doing without the adequate training and remuneration. People slag off their bosses, but try not having one at all but still being expected to produce a product and coordinate what you're doing with other people - it's stressful to say the least.

Sorry to hear that, Matty. I hope you get something soon so that your day-to-day living doesn't eat into your package.

Are you in a postion to fight it? And having been made redundant, would you want your job back or is the package enough to give you time to consider your options and take your time to find something else?

If that is the case its an opportunity you may not get again

Had to attend a meeting this morning regarding my options following a restructuring at work.....one of the options being a voluntary redundancy package equivlaent to one week's pay for every year you've been in th epost up to a max of 12 years....are they fucking serious?

The other 'options' being a choice betwen shit and shitter

Further installments to follow....

On the subject of redundancy packages, I saw my sister last weekend who told ne she gadgets just taken a package based on a month's salary for every year worked. Now that was worth taking

Virtually all the management at my place has been laid off. I'm not exaggerating here, but there are only about five 'managers' now covering five offices across Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales covering about 100 staff, they're all high level bosses too, there is only one operating as a 'day-to-day' ground level middle manager. This makes things unworkable unless people 'step up' and fill the gaps, which we're all doing without the adequate training and remuneration. People slag off their bosses, but try not having one at all but still being expected to produce a product and coordinate what you're doing with other people - it's stressful to say the least.

This is the sort of thing I was alluding to. I'm in the position of that 'day-to-day' ground level middle manager - I have to cover London and the South West. Many of those still in jobs are having to cover two or three posts. The threat hanging over your head is "think yourself lucky to have a job and whilst we're not going to give you any annual pay increases other people in the same industry have experienced pay cuts - stop complaining and get on with it". I think many employers have exploited the current situation to increase workloads whilst freezing or cutting wages.

Personally I'm nearing the end of my tether and close to chucking it all in - I ended up in hospital last year with a minor heart problem and I don't intend on returning. When I get home from work I've got so little energy left for the family and any of my personal stuff. Many of my colleagues are in the same boat. The British 'presenteeism' culture - long additional unpaid hours of course means less jobs, probably lower productivity and quality of work, and employee burnout with the state carrying the associated health costs. In my case, like many others, it's debt (mortgage, cards etc) and the consumption cycle that keeps me on the treadmill.

Thanks for advice and sympathy people.

I work in a not for profit public company ie a quango but a successful one.

Thinking about it i wouldn't want to work there anymore and it's a lot of cash - it'll pay off 2/3 of my mortgage so i'll view it as a great opportunity to start something more interesting and worthwhile...that's the idea anyway

Thanks for advice and sympathy people.

I work in a not for profit public company ie a quango but a successful one.

Thinking about it i wouldn't want to work there anymore and it's a lot of cash - it'll pay off 2/3 of my mortgage so i'll view it as a great opportunity to start something more interesting and worthwhile...that's the idea anyway

You're certainly not going to get that chance again. Go for it....and keep us posted.

This is the sort of thing I was alluding to. I'm in the position of that 'day-to-day' ground level middle manager - I have to cover London and the South West. Many of those still in jobs are having to cover two or three posts. The threat hanging over your head is "think yourself lucky to have a job and whilst we're not going to give you any annual pay increases other people in the same industry have experienced pay cuts - stop complaining and get on with it". I think many employers have exploited the current situation to increase workloads whilst freezing or cutting wages.

Personally I'm nearing the end of my tether and close to chucking it all in - I ended up in hospital last year with a minor heart problem and I don't intend on returning. When I get home from work I've got so little energy left for the family and any of my personal stuff. Many of my colleagues are in the same boat. The British 'presenteeism' culture - long additional unpaid hours of course means less jobs, probably lower productivity and quality of work, and employee burnout with the state carrying the associated health costs. In my case, like many others, it's debt (mortgage, cards etc) and the consumption cycle that keeps me on the treadmill.

I can relate to all that BCP. It's sickening how they pile more and more work on people, the idea of someone having a 'worth' has gone out the window in the last two years. For the job I'm doing now I would have had a company car and a seven grand payrise five years ago, not to mention a title to go on my CV.

It's true what you say about stress too, mine has definately gone through the roof in the past, and I've seen at least half a dozen people go off longterm sick with stress, a couple have never recovered.

But still, the shareholders are placated.

• 2 weeks later...
A 3rd party has just been appointed as the CIO for our division. A meeting has been called for 10am with audio available for those that can't attend. Redundancies are the rumours... I joined in sept for more job security. Will know more shortly.

Bad times. Fingers crossed for you mate

I can relate to all that BCP. It's sickening how they pile more and more work on people, the idea of someone having a 'worth' has gone out the window in the last two years. For the job I'm doing now I would have had a company car and a seven grand payrise five years ago, not to mention a title to go on my CV.

It's true what you say about stress too, mine has definately gone through the roof in the past, and I've seen at least half a dozen people go off longterm sick with stress, a couple have never recovered.

But still, the shareholders are placated.

I am suffering something similar, it is the title on the CV that annoys me.

I do loads more than my job description entails and I have never shirked away from additional responsibility, but my job title is still the same. It would help me no end going for another job somewhere else as the flattening of the management structure (here and elsewhere) makes promotion even harder.

As of today I'm out of work again. I'm away on Holiday for a couple of weeks and I'll worry about it when i get back.

Sorry to hear that....No. More than sorry. Thats shit. Hope you manage to get something sorted soon