You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Help for Heroes

Elmyn Noos

I think saying that the military is used for corporate interests simply way over-estimates the intelligence needed for a modern military campaign.

Get the desperate dim fucks to sign up

Telll them its for queen and country

Fit up a country whose oil/resources/poltical support we need/like/want

Manipulate tabloids to get Facebook mongs/ military families behind offensive

Send in OUR BOYS

Roll out Dame Vera Lynn/Bob Hope/Jim Davidson/Lenny Henry/Cheryl Cole.

Send half-legged grunting spastics home on live TV to x-factor style soundtrack.

Have gibbering hand-clapping british public teary-eyed as they talk of heroes, watching them lift themselves off wheelchairs to Coldplay as some celeb wipes away a tear. "The doctors said they would never walk again but ....."

It really does bore the shit out of me.

SOOOO.. You're a cunt. Fuck up at school. Join the army. Go abroad and die you tedious twats - but seriously, do it quietly will you.

ha ha I think my point came across a bit wrong there, but I must agree sometimes I am a cunt.

Ha ha ha. Really? Does he know where you live?

You quoted him thus "I don't really care what you fuckin scrotes say", and he is either current british military, or ex british military (nightclub doorman/Sainsburys shoplifter-watch). I know intelligence is relative, but this is really only apt if your relatives are lemmings.

No, I'm on the tills.

I think saying that the military is used for corporate interests simply way over-estimates the intelligence needed for a modern military campaign.

Get the desperate dim fucks to sign up

Telll them its for queen and country

Fit up a country whose oil/resources/poltical support we need/like/want

Manipulate tabloids to get Facebook mongs/ military families behind offensive

Send in OUR BOYS

Roll out Dame Vera Lynn/Bob Hope/Jim Davidson/Lenny Henry/Cheryl Cole.

Send half-legged grunting spastics home on live TV to x-factor style soundtrack.

Have gibbering hand-clapping british public teary-eyed as they talk of heroes, watching them lift themselves off wheelchairs to Coldplay as some celeb wipes away a tear. "The doctors said they would never walk again but ....."

It really does bore the shit out of me.

SOOOO.. You're a cunt. Fuck up at school. Join the army. Go abroad and die you tedious twats - but seriously, do it quietly will you.

Noos makes me want to retire again. I cant compete with this genius nor would I wish to. Had I dreamt a thread as good as this one I'd wake up and apologise to Noos. And I dunno why people keep saying you are taking the piss about this cos its that cold hard truth. Help for fucking heroes!! WTF!

Edited by dennis tooth
  • Upvote 1

I had this discussion with a bell on facebook the other week, he was posting those retarded chain messages like "POST THIS IF U THINK EVERY ONE OF R BOYZ IN IRAQ IS A HERO"

I was like.. here's a list of heroes:

Surgeons, nurses, ambulance crew, firemen/women, stuff you'd say 'aw thats a good thing to do' if your kid told you he/she wanted to grow up to be one.

Soldier? Hero? Your a fucking paid killer. I hold you in the same esteem as the guy who fixes my motorbike occasionally and the fella who paints my house. I'm happy you do a decent job but you ain't a hero.

I'm coming off a bad cunt here but seriously - seeing parents weeping on telly pisses me off - your lad went out there to earn money, he knew the risks.

• 3 years later...

What did everyone think of the Invictus Games?

On the surface a very positive things I'm sure, but was this just more of the glamorisation of 'our boys', was it just another part of the propaganda machine? 

I've got to admit, I only caught bits of the closing ceremony, and James Blunt crowd surfing along with Prince Harry cheer leading was nearly enough to make me puke!

On the surface a very positive things I'm sure, but was this just more of the glamorisation of 'our boys', was it just another part of the propaganda machine? 

I've got to admit, I only caught bits of the closing ceremony, and James Blunt crowd surfing along with Prince Harry cheer leading was nearly enough to make me puke!

I thought nothing could be more pointless and less deserving of TV air-time than the Commonwealth Games. Until this cringe-worthy shit-fest.

• Upvote 1

A games sponsored by a deodorant is a bit demeaning isnt it?

Well i really enjoyed the six second clip i couldn't avoid watching, although Harry will have to up his game in future if he's ever going to hit the heights of his uncle Edwards its a Royal Knockout, that show portrayed Britain at its best.

If they're that good, they can  go in the Paralympics. If not, why are they any more worthy of attention and praise than someone who loses a leg in a car crash or industrial accident?

Since 2001 facile, unquestioning support for the military has become absolutely de rigeur and no debate is permitted. All instigated by cunts working for the S*n but lapped up by the rest of the supposedly independent media for rating/sales.    

• Upvote 2

If they're that good, they can  go in the Paralympics. If not, why are they any more worthy of attention and praise than someone who loses a leg in a car crash or industrial accident?

Since 2001 facile, unquestioning support for the military has become absolutely de rigeur and no debate is permitted. All instigated by cunts working for the S*n but lapped up by the rest of the supposedly independent media for rating/sales.    

It's hardly surprising that, for e.g, waving the national flag, or sticking it on your car, is seen as very right wing. Patriotism has been hijacked. Pro war? Patriot. Anti-war? Traitor. Unfortunately, like for so much else, hateful cunts like Murdoch frame the narrative.

Last week some time the other half asked "Do you mind if I put The Invictus Games on?" while I was distracted on here.  Wasn't really listening and didn't know that's what it was called, just said go ahead.  Few minutes later I looked up at it, then at her, swore a bit, and it got turned off.  Last I've heard of it.

Because that's the point? Why restrict trooping the colour to the military too? Or why restrict golf to men,

I don't understand why that is the point though. There are plenty of charities like the spinal injuries association and headway that do great work for individuals with life-changing injuries, and they do get a degree of royal patronage, but they don't get anything like the coverage that this got. People with life-changing injuries suffer from self-esteem issues, isolation and a lack of focus irrespective of  how they were injured, so why do the BBC, the press and the royal family devote so much attention to this particular sub-group of seriously injured people? God save the Quense.

• Upvote 1

I had to laugh at that Ellie Goulding "Oh yah I got a call direct from Prince Harry and we're kind of mates and I just couldn't say no. I am kind of into running and a healthy lifestyle so this is all great!"

She might as well have said "I really have no idea why I am here, or what I am doing!"

If they'd asked her about her support and what the possible repercussions could be, she would probably have said "Oh I no nothing about drumming!"

I don't understand why that is the point though. There are plenty of charities like the spinal injuries association and headway that do great work for individuals with life-changing injuries, and they do get a degree of royal patronage, but they don't get anything like the coverage that this got. People with life-changing injuries suffer from self-esteem issues, isolation and a lack of focus irrespective of  how they were injured, so why do the BBC, the press and the royal family devote so much attention to this particular sub-group of seriously injured people? God save the Quense.

I get where you're coming from, but do you not think that wider exposure of issues that effect people who need help creates a ripple of goodwill, rather than cannibalising potential media coverage or funds from similar causes?

In my - admittedly limited - experience people tend to be more open to giving when there's one high profile cause that gets coverage, whether it's the most deserving or not.

• Upvote 1

I get where you're coming from, but do you not think that wider exposure of issues that effect people who need help creates a ripple of goodwill, rather than cannibalising potential media coverage or funds from similar causes?

In my - admittedly limited - experience people tend to be more open to giving when there's one high profile cause that gets coverage, whether it's the most deserving or not.

Perhaps so, but wasn't that awareness raised by the paralympics and re-emphasised by the Commonwealth games?

It's sad if people need to have soldiers highlight disability issues, and I feel instinctively uncomfortable at anything that glories in the martial, especially with royal assent.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps so, but wasn't that awareness raised by the paralympics and re-emphasised by the Commonwealth games?

It's sad if people need to have soldiers highlight disability issues, and I feel instinctively uncomfortable at anything that glories in the martial, especially with royal assent.

Yeah, it has focussed a bit too heavily on the military side for my liking but then I guess it's an angle to get attention with, and the whole point was to go back to the birth of the Paralympics, to the original Stoke Mandeville games for ex servicemen who - rather than simply needing charitable support - required camaraderie and a goal to work towards. It's a side to things that I think was slightly missing in the Paralympics coverage, as there were fewer competitors in the early stages of disability there.

While I am as cynical as anybody over the way the military is portrayed by government and in the press, I have to commend an ex-serviceman who came along to my son's sixth form graduation last week, organised through Help For Heroes.  He'd been shot, set on fire, run over etc in the course of his duties as a serving soldier.  completely blind in one eye, and almost blind in the other, and with numerous other injuries, his talk was not about bravery under fire or such guff, it was essentially about making the most of what you have, rather than focussing on what you don't.  A plain speaking Yorshireman, it was a fantastic speech, full of humour, humility and life lessons for those kids who were prepared to listen.  I found it truly inspirational, as did most of the others there, and afterwards at the drinks reception I went over to congratulate him and told him how his words had inspired me.  

To me, that's the acceptable face of the military complex.  Such a pity it has to place people in such a position that they have to display courage, fortitude, determination and bravery after the damage is done.  

• Upvote 5