You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I'm not making out it's a right wing forum Numero, im correctly stating that the main left wing candidate in the french elections yesterday would have his feet held to the coals if he offered up some of his veiws on here.

Politicians on the left get an easier ride on here than those to the right of them on the political spectrum, and that isn't even up for debate.

You seem to be complaining that they face any criticism at all.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I hope there's not some crazy result with Le Pen winning. There's lots of noise about the left abstaining and not voting for either. I hope that's overstated. 

I saw one guy getting interviewed on the news yesterday. He voted for Melenchon in the first round, but will be voting Le Pen in the run! I mean what the fuck?

How can you swing from left to far right in just a few weeks just because of your dislike for Macron's policies?

I don't like Macron, he's a twat, but I'd vote for him any day of the week before that vile fascist piece of shit!

3 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I saw one guy getting interviewed on the news yesterday. He voted for Melenchon in the first round, but will be voting Le Pen in the run! I mean what the fuck?

How can you swing from left to far right in just a few weeks just because of your dislike for Macron's policies?

I don't like Macron, he's a twat, but I'd vote for him any day of the week before that vile fascist piece of shit!

It's bafflingly stupid. It's a more extreme version of the 'I won't vote for Starmer because he's not Corbyn' approach which sees the likes of Johnson in power. It's so fucking idiotic to me. People are free to vote how they want, luckily I'm free to sneer at them. 

17 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Melenchon came right out after losing in the first round and stated not one vote should go to Le Penn. 

Macron should win this comfortably, It's the next election that'll determine France's fate, Macron can't run again and if the dire worldwide economic forecasts are correct it could become a shoot out between far left and far right.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

42% voted for that horrible cow. Worrying. The worlds fucked. 

Yeah, that’s way to high. The centre and the left really, really need to get to grips with this. Things have become so polarised that almost half of the west are voting for the likes of Johnson, Trump, and Le Pen. Fortunately the latter hasn’t got into power, but we need to be seriously careful. 

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, that’s way to high. The centre and the left really, really need to get to grips with this. Things have become so polarised that almost half of the west are voting for the likes of Johnson, Trump, and Le Pen. Fortunately the latter hasn’t got into power, but we need to be seriously careful. 

Riots in France now, calling it rigged. The world is at a serious tipping point. Has the gap between the so called left and right ever been so prevalent? 

There is something driving a serious division between society. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Riots in France now, calling it rigged. The world is at a serious tipping point. Has the gap between the so called left and right ever been so prevalent? 

There is something driving a serious division between society. 

World moves in cycles. Was the same in 30s Germany, centrist parties marginalized in favour of Communists and Nazis, both offering simple solutions to complex problems.

The far right and the far left often target the same voters with pledges to fix similar issues, just in different ways (jobs, housing etc). 

Back then it came after a financial crash too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

World moves in cycles. Was the same in 30s Germany, centrist parties marginalized in favour of Communists and Nazis, both offering simple solutions to complex problems.

The far right and the far left often target the same voters with pledges to fix similar issues, just in different ways (jobs, housing etc). 

Back then it came after a financial crash too.

Oh great. Can we finish the season before Poland get twatted this time? 

One minor bit of optimism is that in Europe at least, a lot of the far right has been underwritten financially by Russia.

Which, given the economic situation there and the fact that sanctions are going to start to really bite in a few months when they run out of foreign currency, is probably not going to continue in the future, at least not at the same level.

• Upvote 2