You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats are what they are, stats. It's more the opinions some try to attach to them that are bollocks.

Luckily we have experienced, successful professionals in charge of looking at the stats and forming the opinions that matter.

Guest Gucci_Ledge

Alot of rash thinking lately RE: Raul.M. 4th is our minimum requirement next season after 2 years out of it we're on the edge of falling into the 2nd tier. We're involved in a straight shootout with Arsenal on that front, we aren't in a position to be losing any goal threats and players with pace, as over the last 10 years or so we've been hindered by a lack of goals and pace compared to our rivals. He's not the best player in the world but he's a quality player who has the knack of popping up with important passes and goals.

Hoping any move breaks down and he stays. You can never have enough good players in a squad especially in centre midfield where we had to rely on Spearing and Poulsen numerous times last season. All our midfielders will get games as we will be actively trying to win both domestic cups for the first time in years and we always get loads of injuries and yellow card suspensions before big matches anyway.

Alot of rash thinking lately RE: Raul.M. 4th is our minimum requirement next season after 2 years out of it we're on the edge of falling into the 2nd tier. We're involved in a straight shootout with Arsenal on that front, we aren't in a position to be losing any goal threats and players with pace, as over the last 10 years or so we've been hindered by a lack of goals and pace compared to our rivals. He's not the best player in the world but he's a quality player who has the knack of popping up with important passes and goals.

Hoping any move breaks down and he stays. You can never have enough good players in a squad especially in centre midfield where we had to rely on Spearing and Poulsen numerous times last season. All our midfielders will get games as we will be actively trying to win both domestic cups for the first time in years and we always get loads of injuries and yellow card suspensions before big matches anyway.

Agree with the jist of what you're saying. I think hes a decent goal threat and a great player to have in and around the opposition box.

His deficiencies clearly lie in the the more physical side of the game.

Not necessarily arguing in favour of Raul because I can understand the logic behind selling him. But I think its a shame to see him go. Hes a good player whos played a big part in numerous wins this year.

But if we can get in and around the same money we paid for him and put it towards other areas of the team then so be it.

ridiculous sale and not justifiable anyway you look at it. One of the best performers last year and oozed class. The squad will be much weaker without him as I don't see Stevie G playing a full season and Raul is a decent replacement with a bit of attacking flair and mobility, which the others in midfield don't have.

Senseless as lack of squad depth has been an issue for the last few years.

Agree with the jist of what you're saying. I think hes a decent goal threat and a great player to have in and around the opposition box.

His deficiencies clearly lie in the the more physical side of the game.

Not necessarily arguing in favour of Raul because I can understand the logic behind selling him. But I think its a shame to see him go. Hes a good player whos played a big part in numerous wins this year.

But if we can get in and around the same money we paid for him and put it towards other areas of the team then so be it.

..... it was his first season the most physical league in europe FFS!

..... it was his first season the most physical league in europe FFS!

Indeed, but as many have pointed out he does shit out of a lot of tackles and doesn't put himself about much.

For what its worth I don't think its a valid reason to sell him. But I can understand where others are coming from.

If it was up to me I wouldn't even contemplate selling him but thats just me.

*Awaits "stats are all bollocks" argument*

All stats aren't complete and utter bollocks. But those ones are.

20110709-xyan-92kb.jpg

The echo has obviously been asked to help make Meireles' departure as painless as possible, as far as the fans are concerned. Nothing like a "big tough english guy bails out faggy foreigner" narrative to ease it along.

Pathetic really.

All stats aren't complete and utter bollocks. But those ones are.

The echo has obviously been asked to help make Meireles' departure as painless as possible, as far as the fans are concerned. Nothing like a "big tough english guy bails out faggy foreigner" narrative to ease it along.

Pathetic really.

Adam is Scottish (;

lack of squad depth has been an issue for the last few years.

The squad has been as deep as any other clubs. The problem was that it had several players for each position who were not good enough. We've been paying tens of millions every season to players who spent most of the season sitting in the stands watching games.

Now we can't get rid of these shit players because no other club wants them.

The squad has been as deep as any other clubs. The problem was that it had several players for each position who were not good enough. We've been paying tens of millions every season to players who spent most of the season sitting in the stands watching games.

Now we can't get rid of these shit players because no other club wants them.

Well surely the solution isn't to flog those who are good enough to be squad players!

Guest San Don

I dont recollect meireles weighing in with important goals. Of the 5 he scored last season, only one was what I'd call 'important' and that was the one against chelshit.

But, as I said, his weakness is in his inability to tackle. You cant have a midfield player who doesnt tackle imo.

If its a question of a few people on an internet forum being indignant about meireles being sold (if he is being sold) or the King deems him surplus to requirements, I know where my trust is going.

I can't really argue with Prentice's article there.

Well I can.

Meireles made 79 tackles, lost 24 and won 55.

Adams made 75 tackles, lost 13 and won 62.

Meireles played 2545 minutes while Adam played 3051 minutes.

So in the real world Meireles makes more tackles than Adams and he wins more as well, what a load of fuckin bollocks from Prentice, he should be ashamed of himself.

Since Gerrard is named in the article let me add than in his last 3 seasons he has won 39, 34 and 37 tackles.

The article is actually so fuckin stupid I`m not sure if I`m awake or not.

Well I can.

Meireles made 79 tackles, lost 24 and won 55.

Adams made 75 tackles, lost 13 and won 62.

Meireles played 2545 minutes while Adam played 3051 minutes.

So in the real world Meireles makes more tackles than Adams and he wins more as well, what a load of fuckin bollocks from Prentice, he should be ashamed of himself.

Throw Henderson into the mix with his 62 tackles 21 lost and 41 won in 3219 minutes and it's pretty clear ball winning isn't the focus here.

It is Adam, not Adams. Why is a lot of people putting an 's' at the end of his name?

Prentice's article and Code's stats just prove that most of the time stats are just used to suit an agenda. Not always, but a good lot of the time they are.