You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO: Dave U - Rafael van der Vaert.

Kopite

It is not often that we here on liverpool.is run gossip transfer stories. When we publish a story on a possible transfer we only do so if the story comes from the official lfc site or from certain people at the Echo.

It has happened a few times though, that we run a story that has not been run in the papers nor on the net and in those instances the information comes from people we know and trust in Liverpool. Those stories have almost always turned out to be true although they have not been many over the years. Today we recieved information on a story that is very interesting and it came from our most trusted source on these matters.

People are running out of superlatives to describe the talent of RVDV, Ajax player and dutch international. Past being promising, he has developed into a very good player. The news we heard is that he is set to be a Liverpool player next season.

Of course nothing is certain until a press conference has been held and papers signed but our source says that a deal has been finalized, both with club and player. The outcome of our last two games could matter, not because of the prospect of CL football next season but because of financial implications. CL money isn´t crucial though but loosing out on it would mean that it´ll be harder to finance the deal and more money would have to come from player sales.

It is bad to raise peoples expectations if things don´t come true but in this instance we just couldn´t keep quiet, especially because of the source. I any case it is crystal clear that if this deal is sealed, it will be the biggest transfer deal of LFC for many years.

As I'm saying there, I don't publish transfer gossip. I read all of it, but as we know, very few are genuine. I have had one really good source in the past, but the posts I get from him are very few and far between. Last time I heard from him was about 7 months ago. He has never let me down, and that is the reason why I decided to publish it. I don't want to get too excited when it comes to transfer dealings, and I thought when I saw this that this was too good to be true. If someone else would have told me that, I would have said to the person to get real, never going to happend that we could get both Cissé and VdV. Do you belive this or not? Up to you. I belive it coming from this source (even though its hard to belive), but time will tell. Even though this seems to be in the bag, there is a long way to go. Win next two games, and we are in different financial ballgame.

Click here

I've read this on YNWA too.

Come on Dave, is there any truth in this?

Haven't heard anything other than the rumours doing the rounds on forums.

It's common knowledge Liverpool want him, but so do a lot of other teams so I'll believe it when I see him being paraded in front of the press telling everyone how it's his lifelong dream to play for the club etc

Mourihno and Van der Vaart? Far too good to be true. After the last two seasons, I can't believe we'll successfully negotiate two such positive, top class moves.

However, if we are seriously trying to sign the Dutchman, does that mean Michael is on his way? I know he's played some of his career in midfield and on the flanks, but VdV's prefered position is second striker. So with this possibility and with Cisse coming, are we planning for life without Owen?

The alternative is to play him next to Gerrard, but that would place an even higher imperative on us strengthening the centre of the defence, as they'd be more exposed without Didi there.

All-in-all, these rumours seem to require us to find a magic money tree and the board to grow a massive set of balls. Neither scenario seems likely to me. Shit.