You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v Spurs

Disappointed in the tempo to the play, thought we would have been at them from the off.

I personal would of liked European footy next season, most likely would have seen some of the other youngsters given a good run out.

Carroll looked so slow and lethargic. Hope he doesn't go to the u21s tournament, looks like he needs a rest.

Disappointing way to end last game of season at home, but so much to look forward to next season.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. We've just been played off the park at home by the fifth best club's squad players. And, let's be frank, even if we add a few decent players, the top four squads are deeper and will likely improve this summer.

Not doom and gloom, anyway: it'll just take time (a couple of years), in my view.

But we've also hammered the best, second best and fourth best teams with ease at home this season. In fact, we've the best record in the division against other top six teams this season.

It's foolhardy to draw such sweeping conclusions from individual matches. Ultimately, it will depend on how consistent we are against the 15 other teams in the league. Sweep them aside 90% of the time and we're challenging for the title. Over-analyse them and tailor our style to each team ala previous managers and we won't.

Kenny is very astute. The team selection today would have told him a lot. It would have shown him very clearly what happens when you don't play players to their strengths, and, how badly we need to spend another thirty five million.

That team today showed no inclination to play in the Europa League next season, cos that's what they were playing for. Personally, I don't give a shit about the Europa, although it probably means more income for the club, obviously.

We really missed Raul. Our midfield couldn't fire up.

If Raul was not fit so be it: but to put Dirk Kuyt (the in form striker) back in the midfield, leaves me lost for words.

Carroll doesn't have the killer Kuyt instinct yet, and has a lot of hard work to do to show he can play up to speed as part of a team.

There's no way that was a Spurs penalty, but, going two down finished us, end of story. We didn't really deserve the draw anyway, but we might have sneaked an equaliser.

I think we'll beat Villa, but I have a feeling Spurs will beat us to 5th.

Does it really matter?

one bad game and suddenly people is going "oh my god we are soooo bad..." and stuff like that.

Yes we played bad, but if you are a top 6 team its not that difficult to defend a 2-0 with 30 mins to go. King and Dawson looked solid for most of the game, and when they got the penalty we actually was looking better with Johnson and Flanno going forward.

Carroll had a bad game. So did most of our other players. Give him time, he is a young player who also needs to develop. Give him time and im sure he will deliver.

Webb is a cunt. Nuff said. Not even close to a penalty wich killed the game off.

We are not going to win every match, because this is the best league in the world, and there is 38 tough games. You cannot expect us to perform on such a high level as we have done recently for 38 games. Everybody will have bad games and we had one today, so stop the talk about who isn't good enough for our squad, and "we are not ready for a title push next season". Because you just cannot judge that on this particular game. If you do then you are a moron.

But we've also hammered the best, second best and fourth best teams with ease at home this season. In fact, we've the best record in the division against other top six teams this season.

It's foolhardy to draw such sweeping conclusions from individual matches. Ultimately, it will depend on how consistent we are against the 15 other teams in the league.

That match aside, and other one-off matches aside, do you honestly think we'll finish above Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, and Spurs? Or, as required, even two of them? It's possible, of course, but I think - without dramatic squad change this summer - we'll be well short of that level. I'd bet on and improved but unspectacular fifth. But hope you're right.

It's foolhardy to draw such sweeping conclusions from individual matches. Ultimately, it will depend on how consistent we are against the 15 other teams in the league.

Yep! Not worried at all about this result, don't want any part of EL and Spurs will have to worry about that, all we need to make sure is that we beat the dross, that's how the Mancs done it this year and nearly every year, for too long we've been focussed on the 'big games' but if you win enough small games then you don't even need to turn up for the big ones, although it's nice to do both of course!

We really missed Raul. Starting Shelvey for Rual, and then bringing Carroll off the bench would have been the way to go, IMO.

Agreed.

"Liverpool striker Andy Carroll has returned to training after a knee injury and could be on the bench. Midfielder Raul Meireles was forced off at Fulham with a minor hamstring problem but is expected to be fit."

I'd love to know where the Beeb get their inside info from lmao.

Disappointing.

Not the end of the world giving us all a little reality check, as maybe expectations were getting a touch ambitious and we were thinking some of these players are better than they really are.

Thought Spurs played very well. Especially at the start they kept the ball, were clever in possession and deservedly took the lead. Modric is brilliant and he just kept them ticking and he always keeps the ball. King and Dawson were also both brilliant for them, although I think slecting Carroll played to their strengths which helped them. I think we would have been better going for Kuyt upfront with Suarez and trying to hurt them with our movement, as King and Dawson want us to cross balls at the that's what they are good at heading.

Carroll was disappointing, as he has been since he arrived bar the Man City game. I really don't think he brings the best out of Suarez, although it must be said the service to Carroll today was poor. Having said that he hasn't been dominant in the air since he has arrived and he had one really good opportunity with his head that he made a mess of.

But what disappointed me most was the how flat anfield was. The crowd were on top form. Also our tempo was not quick enough, which is odd because it has been really impressive under Dalglish. Another thing that was poor was our movement, we didn't have many options in possession and again that hasn't been the case under Dalglish. We really need to show more urgency, play quicker and to and pressurise Spurs more.

For some reason Lucas was not running around like he has been, we didn't keep the balll good enough and we had a lack of ideas and invention in the final third. It should be noted we were missing some of our best players in Gerrard, Agger, Kelly and Meireles - but I would still have thought we would have tested Spurs more.

At 1-0 though I always thought we had a chance, but then Webb decided to give that shocking decision and it was basically game over. I thought Flanagan was arguably our best player today, and although I think it was a foul (which is debatable), contact was outside the area - he should never be allowed to ref against us again, as he is clearly biased... god knows how many penalties he has given against us over the years.

Carragher and Skrtel also did well and Suarez has flashes of brilliance in the first half, but clearly Spurs knew if they kept him quiet they'd go a long way to keep us quiet and it worked. With Suarez not orchestrating proceedings we didn't have anyone else who could step up the mark, with Meireles and Gerrard missing. Spearing tried and I would have subbed Lucas rather than him personally, I also thought Shelvey gave us a burst of urgency when he came on with his shot and a couple of driving runs and crunching tackles... but then he didn't kick on from that early impression.

Johnson was probably my man of the match, as he was out of position, was solid defensively and was one of our most threatening players when he got forward.

When we have Gerrard in the team and a few more top players which we'll hopefully see after the summer, we won't be reliant on Suarez. But currently we are and Redknapp was right in nulifying him and we didn't have an answer unfortunately.

That match aside, and other one-off matches aside, do you honestly think we'll finish above Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, and Spurs? Or, as required, even two of them? It's possible, of course, but I think - without dramatic squad change this summer - we'll be well short of that level. I'd bet on and improved but unspectacular fifth. But hope you're right.

Well, it's very possible that we'll finish above Spurs this season still, and we undoubtedly would have if we didn't have a poor manager at this level for more than half the season. With the right signings, I don't see why not. Arsenal didn't look like winning the title in 96-97, but clinched it the following year.

I'm not expecting the title, but I do think we have an excellent shot at the top four. Afterall, we've swept aside most teams we've played since January, hence our excellent place in the form table.

When you are trying to predict placings, its a whole lot simpler, easier and more insightful when you make a list of the managers rather than the clubs!

Yep! Not worried at all about this result, don't want any part of EL and Spurs will have to worry about that, all we need to make sure is that we beat the dross, that's how the Mancs done it this year and nearly every year, for too long we've been focussed on the 'big games' but if you win enough small games then you don't even need to turn up for the big ones, although it's nice to do both of course!

Indeed.

As much as I liked and respected Rafa, he'd treat games against Reading like he would Chelsea, when you simply need to do it the Manc way - Smash the shit and save the analysis for the top five or six teams. Man Utd are more or less identical EXCEPT for when they take on a side of decent quality, at which point they become a much more reserved, sometimes negative outfit.

Not really. We've just been played off the park at home by the fifth best club's squad players. And, let's be frank, even if we add a few decent players, the top four squads are deeper and will likely improve this summer.

Not doom and gloom, anyway: it'll just take time (a couple of years), in my view.

We were missing Gerrard, Meireles, Agger and Kelly (three of whom have been absent for most of Kenny's tenure). We've still outperformed both Spurs and City by 10 points since he took over. The squad does need significant strengthening but to say that we're along way from competing for the top 4 is a little defeatist, IMO.

Disasterous result, didn't see that coming. Only a few days ago, the talk was of 4th place, now we might end up with no European football next season. How many new signings and the remaining good players here that were going to stay, will that affect next season, who knows?

Some of the mongism about Andy Carroll in this thread would be astounding were this not the FF. The bloke's not really 100% fit is he. Mistake to start him today in my opinion but Kenny clearly wanted to give him the last 90 minutes at home this season. He's going to be a cracking player for us. Some of you really need to get a fucking grip.

Some of the mongism about Andy Carroll in this thread would be astounding were this not the FF. The bloke's not really 100% fit is he. Mistake to start him today in my opinion but Kenny clearly wanted to give him the last 90 minutes at home this season. He's going to be a cracking player for us. Some of you really need to get a fucking grip.

couldn't agree more!

Fuck off with the 'FF' bullshit. Spunking some money on a season ticket on here does not make any discussions on the merits of Andy Carroll's signing any more or less legitimate.

I don't think he is fit either, nowhere near it. I also think he will be a cracking player for us. But he was poor today and has been since he arrived, bar the Man City game.

I think we are allowed to say that.

i disagree mr lurtz

i am not sure he is an lfc player

i watched the fulham match with my mouth agape at the jaw dropping spectacular footy

i watched the spurs game and every other match bar city thinking 'he's shit'

Not the best last home game of the season, but hey ho.

Out of the europa isnt the worst thing we could have had this season to be fair, not too many months ago, we were looking at being in a relegation battle, so to be 6th and well safe is nothing to be ashamed of.

Injuries and a big change in the team layout today, with a few players who have just come back, and are maybe not fully match fit, with the added challenge of facing "Howard I love ManU Webb" 2-0 isnt the worst we could have had today.

That said, it doesnt meant we deserved that either, but thats footy for you.

Peno? not in a million, but as per with mr corrupt, it was never going to be easy either.

My only real gripe about today is, Maxi, and before those who are so short minded, they can only think of his hat-tricks of late, do try to be a bit more realistic.

He in my view, gave us nothing today, and was missing for more of the game than he was in it.

Dont get me wrong here, to score as he has, is no mean feat, but as ive always said about him, what does he give?

Take the last few games away, and he isnt good enough, sorry, pop up and score? great, pop up and score 3? even better, amazing even, but when you dont, you at the very least need to give your all for the rest of the team.

And his diving is really getting on my tits, this is Anfield, not ot or the den.

That said though, shame we lost, but its not the end of the world, the end of one season only leads to the start of another, and the next one is where we rise from this and show the rest what this place is all about.

19 is only a season away, and 20 another after that, im sure Kenny wants to better his previous stint with us, so onwards and upwards.

I don't think he is fit either, nowhere near it. I also think he will be a cracking player for us. But he was poor today and has been since he arrived, bar the Man City game.

I think we are allowed to say that.

That's a fair comment. He's not been great at all but that's because he hasn't been fully fit. I can't wait to see a fully fit Andy Carroll with Suarez playing off him and a decent winger or two. I'm referring to the "doesn't look like he has anything" or "all he does is slow the game down" mongy comments from the knowfuckalls who frequent the FF in flocks on a matchday.

Fuck off with the 'FF' bullshit. Spunking some money on a season ticket on here does not make any discussions on the merits of Andy Carroll's signing any more or less legitimate.

No, I don't believe I will fuck off if it's all the same to you. The FF has witnessed some fucking pathetic comments about our players and today is no different.

Edit: "he's shit". The latest in a long line of fucking stupid comments. I despair. I'm off to watch a film.

I enjoy the rubbish on FF as well as the many fantastically astute comments. I make plenty of rubbish ones myself. That's part of the fun, humour, seriousness and passion of following LFC.

Regardless of however much an obviously exclusive Grove of Academe the Members Forum is, I'm happy on FF.

Tight-fisted cunt that I am, I guess.

By the way, I reckon Carroll will be terrific too, and hasn't played particularly well so far apart from that brilliant Citeh display.