You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

There is a clear and distinct change in pace. Character/relationship development is fundamentally changed from what it was. I think not commenting on that would be more bizarre,

Yep, me too. If that's all it was, it'd have posted 'yeah, there is a different pace now'. It's more than that, though. According to the article I was responding to, it's now the daftest show on TV, complaining about things that were explained on the show.

I think some of the recent criticism has been justified. There's definitely been more holes in the writing since they moved past the source material. 

Is GOT still entertaining as hell? Yes of course it is. The criticism of the recent lapses in logic and time are coming from those that were expecting a masterpiece which, at one time, the show threatened to be. 

You've got to be kidding yourself to argue that the whole "kidnap one of the dead to show Cersei" is a logical storyline and the execution of it, while visually awesome, just didn't make any sense. For instance, do white walkers now have the ability to swim down to the bottom of a lake and attach chains around a dead dragon's neck before hauling him out? 

The show will still deliver, but it's not above the criticism of late. 

• Upvote 1

You didn't notice the day/night cycle? Also, air travel is majorly faster than moving the king and all his shit.

For me, I don't know if another show that comes close to GoT, and I think I've watched every major TV series made in the last 30 years, or close to it. If we had forums like this when half the shit considered to be 'top 10', we'd be picking holes in those more often, I reckon.

Yep I did my point was that if they were waiting that long wouldn't they freeze? Out there with no shelter.

Air travel is certainly faster but gendry had to run back, then they had to send a raven (how quick do ravens fly?) Then dany had to fly up.

My main gripe is that the series has a constant "flying in to save the day" at the critical moment. There were two in the last episode alone. The earlier seasons kept you off balance as people could die but now you don't really worry about them too much (except for tormund - thought he was a gonner).

As I've said above I'm still really enjoying it, but the change of pace has changed the look and feel of an amazing show to a bit of a Michael bay version of itself.

Yep I did my point was that if they were waiting that long wouldn't they freeze? Out there with no shelter.

Air travel is certainly faster but gendry had to run back, then they had to send a raven (how quick do ravens fly?) Then dany had to fly up.

My main gripe is that the series has a constant "flying in to save the day" at the critical moment. There were two in the last episode alone. The earlier seasons kept you off balance as people could die but now you don't really worry about them too much (except for tormund - thought he was a gonner).

As I've said above I'm still really enjoying it, but the change of pace has changed the look and feel of an amazing show to a bit of a Michael bay version of itself.

Michael Bay? Wow. Okay. 

The Raven thing was worked out and even if you were a person that got stuck on raven flying times but accepted dragons flying in the opposite direction to kill an army of the dead, it could have been done in half the time of the two day period shown the episode. I absolutely have a couple of things that make you think... hmm... but the raven thing isn't an issue, but maybe because that's because I know the distances and actually notice the things going on. I don't see why they'd freeze, either; plenty of protection from the cold in those animal skins. 

As for people dying... mate, you missed the amount of main characters who have died this season? Thoros of Myr and a Dragon died last episode! Olenna is brown bread, the Sand Sankes are dead, one of which is being watched rot away by her mother, who will meet the same fate. 

But anyway, I'm starting to feel like I did at the end of the Sopranos when I was defending 'the worst ending to a TV show ever'. 

So is it just me looking forward to Clegane Vs Zombie Clegane next week? Too many people whining about minor plot holes when they should be enjoying how story arcs are being tied up with satisfying endings. I personally don't want to see people walking for weeks on end to get somewhere. Show the highlights of the day trip and then get on with the action.

• Upvote 1

It does irk me a little bit when people talk about character development. Fuck me, they've spent 60 fucking hours developing these characters! I think people are having an issue placing this as part of the entire story rather than on its own. If it's a movie, this is the exciting pay off at the end.

Then there's people talking about their issues with certain little bits, most of which are easily explained by those who pay attention. For example, why did most wights die when the walker was killed and one not... watch it back! There's a couple of little things in there, but for me it's like getting a blowjob from the most beautiful woman on earth, then complaining about her having a freckle on her foot.

Spot on, we're in the final act. There are six episodes left, plus the one from this season. Comes a point when you need to forgo the character development, and suspend disbelief about the rate in which time passes off screen, in order for them to tell the fucking story.

• Upvote 1

I think the thing about Dany being infertile goes back to series one where she gets carried into the tent where the witch is doing blood magic on drogo. Ends up miscarrying and fucking her womb up I'm guessing.

Anyway, after that the witch says

"when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child."

The sun rising in the west could be something to do with dorne, having the sun as its sigil, seas going dry could be something about the Dothraki crossing the sea for the first time, and mountains in the wind could be the Mountain getting smoked by a dragon and his ashes blowing away.

Might be reading too much into it, but they've made a number of comments in this series about her being infertile so I'm guessing they are trying to get the point across before they reveal she's pregnant with a mini Jon snow.

• Upvote 1

I think the thing about Dany being infertile goes back to series one where she gets carried into the tent where the witch is doing blood magic on drogo. Ends up miscarrying and fucking her womb up I'm guessing.

Anyway, after that the witch says

"when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child."

The sun rising in the west could be something to do with dorne, having the sun as its sigil, seas going dry could be something about the Dothraki crossing the sea for the first time, and mountains in the wind could be the Mountain getting smoked by a dragon and his ashes blowing away.

Might be reading too much into it, but they've made a number of comments in this series about her being infertile so I'm guessing they are trying to get the point across before they reveal she's pregnant with a mini Jon snow.

Dorne did rise up against Cersei to the west of the Dothraki lands, then fell at King's Landing in the east of Westeros. The seas will be dry when they freeze over. The Wall looks like a mountain and isn't going to be standing long, I reckon.

The pacing has completely changed since it switched from being a screenplay based on a multi-layered novel series to a screenplay based on a plot outline. The result is something more exciting but more shallow which I expect suits the producers or we'd be waiting until the late 2020s to see how this all works out.