You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Clown re-writes history

Horus

Rick Parry defends decision to sell Liverpool to American duo in 2007 | Football | guardian.co.uk

The former Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has defended the decision to sell the club to George Gillett and Tom Hicks in 2007.

It has been widely-reported that Hicks and Gillett assumed control of the club despite a rival offer from Dubai International Capital (DIC) but Parry, who along with the then chairman and owner David Moores made the decision to sell to the American duo, insists that DIC were not in the running.

"It wasn't a case of us rejecting Dubai," Parry told London's Evening Standard. "They were the preferred bidder but they walked away."

The reign of Hicks and Gillett, which ended when Fenway Sports Group bought the club last year after a bitter court battle, was punctuated by public arguments between the two owners, between Hicks and Parry and disagreements between the then manager Rafael Benítez and the owners.

The much-heralded new stadium in Stanley Park failed to materialise and the club struggled under the weight of the large amount of debt which was placed on the club by Hicks and Gillett. Parry believes much of the difficulty stemmed from the fractious nature of the relationship between the owners.

"I think one of the fundamental [problems] was that they actually didn't get on terribly well with each other," Parry explains.

Parry left the club in 2009 and, despite the often haphazard nature of the Hicks and Gillet era, he feels that for a period of time at least things were going well.

"Don't forget and certainly until I left – which was 2009 – we were second in the league. The business plan was a net spend of £20m on players. And they'd over delivered on that. They took us pretty close to winning the Premier League in 2008-2009, within four points of Manchester United with a huge points total.

"So it wasn't all doom and gloom. Then, in 2009, for whatever reason, there didn't appear to be any net spend at all on the players. By which time they clearly realised that they probably needed to sell completely."

Parry also stressed that despite what seemed to be a hostile relationship, he remains on good terms with Benítez.

"You don't get into the business if you want people who are easy," he said. "You want people who are winners. He's very demanding and he's a perfectionist. But I'm still friendly with Rafael."

Guest ShoePiss

Black puddings at the ready. Actually there won't be any divide in this thread.

Rick Parry talking up Rick Parry. I thought he was working for NY Cosmos now, even though they don't have a team yet.

"for whatever reason, there didn't appear to be any net spend" - Why's that Rick you bubble headed cunt?

If DIC were the preferred bidders but had walked away, Parry is clearly implying that they had at least a few misgivings about Hicks & Gillett, despite what he goes on to say about them "over-delivering" up to 2009. If that was the case, why were he and Moores compelled to sell up anyway? We know that the cancers offered more per share, but given the doubts and the need for the new owners to be "proper custodians", it really does look like Moores and Parry were backed into a corner. And they were foolish in the extreme in allowing things to descend to that level.

DIC walked away because they were treat like shit by Moores and Parry who tried they're best to delay the deal to allow Gillett back to the table after letting Parry know that Hicks was now involved.

As far as DIC were concerned they had a deal to own the club and were making arrangements to come over and publically seal the deal.

Hopefully its all worked out in the end as Dubai have been well reported as having financial problems with the recession and Hicks/Gillett are just a painful memory.

No contest. Parry is a fuckin' idiot who sold up for easy money. Cancer and Aids tried to end our club with unbelievable greed. Those two cunts win hands down.

I disagree, I think Parry is the worst of all of those involved.

Hicks and Gillett were only doing what they do, they're investors who use leveraged buyouts to acquire something and then sell it on for a profit, their was nothing 'wrong' with what they did here, they were a known quantity for anyone who dared spare the time to do even a cursory Google search. Moores, to be fair, is a tool who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He relied on Parry as a highly-paid professional to conduct a search for reliable investors, to pay the right people to make the right checks on those investors, and then advise him of the best option. Parry failed in all of these things, whether down to incompetence or pure greed - for my money though he was the person most in the know and for that he deserves the majority of the blame.

Hicks and Gillett were only doing what they do, they're investors who use leveraged buyouts to acquire something and then sell it on for a profit, their was nothing 'wrong' with what they did here, they were a known quantity for anyone who dared spare the time to do even a cursory Google search. Moores, to be fair, is a tool who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He relied on Parry as a highly-paid professional to conduct a search for reliable investors, to pay the right people to make the right checks on those investors, and then advise him of the best option. Parry failed in all of these things, whether down to incompetence or pure greed - for my money though he was the person most in the know and for that he deserves the majority of the blame.

Thats my view, i did type something similar... only to lose it by hitting the back button, instead of hitting the return button... couldn't be arsed to re-typing it.

Black puddings at the ready. Actually there won't be any divide in this thread.

Rick Parry talking up Rick Parry. I thought he was working for NY Cosmos now, even though they don't have a team yet.

"for whatever reason, there didn't appear to be any net spend" - Why's that Rick you bubble headed cunt?

I have to take exception to that. I do not resemble Rick Parry's head in any way whatsoever.

This is exactly how i feel.

You can blame Moores, but Parry was his financial advisor for want of a better word.

Moores trusted Parry to do his job properly, Parry Did'nt, hence the mess was created.

Moores is a buffoon, albeit a red buffoon. But his total trust in Coco resulted in the worst decision in the club's history.