You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

just some of the players we have been linked to so far

Charlie Adam

Marc Albrighton

Jeffren Suarez

James McCarthy

Fernando Gago

Javier Pastore

Davide Santon

Christian Ansaldi

Philip Mexes

Ashley Young

Gary Cahill

Leighton Baines

Stuart Downing

Jose Enrique

Conor Wickham

Gael Clichy

Romelu Lukaku

Cameron Park

Oscar Wendt

Matt Jarvis

Diego Perotti

Nicolas Gaitan

Arda Turan

Andre Ayew

Sylvain Marveux

Aly Cissokho

Keisuke Honda

Aaron Lennon

Gareth Bale

Brad Freidel

Nicolas Douchez

Mamadou Sakho

Steven Defour

Dimitri Payet

Jeremy Menez.

Phil Jones.

Joey Barton

Axel Witsel

Nurin Sahin

Ezequiel Lavezzi

Hugo Lloris

plus the new names from todays papers

If we dont sign at least half of those players the owners can fuck right off!

Marin is a good player but is he a bit too similar to Suarez in the role that he plays? I think the likes of Mata, Young and Dzsudzsak are probably better suited to playing in attack with Carroll and Suarez and will give the side a better balance.

Agreed. He might be a bit too lightweight for the Prem, but his runs with the ball are probably the best in the Bundesliga (with Robbens). Always rated him higher than Özil at Bremen.

Don't know much about Marin, but I do think we need a player that is good at running with the ball at his feet. Don't think we've had a player with great abilitiy in that department since McManaman.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Young, very talented, needs some guidance to bring the best of him out... sounds perfectly suited.

The idea that a player is 'too lightweight' for this league is a total misnomer.

Really makes my shit itch when people bring up that excuse. Case in point, Modric or Julio Baptista, which of those was the one too lightweight for England?

Whatever 'winger' we do sign, I think it's important that he's not just one of those kick and rush, hit the byline types. Needs to be able to come inside and be able and find a pass and be able to play little one twos, be able to dribble past layers. That's my worry with Downing, he'd make us too predictable imo.

Not sure about the last point mate. Getting balls into the box may make you predictable but when you have Andy Carroll attacking them some teams will shit themselves. Add that ability with a speedy dribbler on the other flank and we are extremely versatile.

People keep saying that and I'm not convinced. I don;t think Downing's delivery is so good that he;s worth splashing the kind of money to would take to get him here. And he'd easily be marked out of the game at a club like Liverpool. Even Bale hasn't been anywhere near as effective now that teams are doubling up on him stopping him from hitting the byline, and he's a much better player than Downing. These days it's a job for the fullbacks to provide that kind of service.

What you want really is a player that can do a bit of both, but with Downing if you take away his delivery there's not much of a player there at all.

Bale's game is based off his speed, he tries to beat his man etc. Downing, while not being slow, is not a speedster, but he has the ability to get ball into the box. You dont need to beat a man to get a ball into the box, see David Beckhams entire career.

People keep saying that and I'm not convinced. I don;t think Downing's delivery is so good that he;s worth splashing the kind of money to would take to get him here. And he'd easily be marked out of the game at a club like Liverpool. Even Bale hasn't been anywhere near as effective now that teams are doubling up on him stopping him from hitting the byline, and he's a much better player than Downing. These days it's a job for the fullbacks to provide that kind of service.

How many assists have United's full-backs got this season?

How many did Cole provide for Chelsea last season?

Guest TK-421
What is the latest on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's future at Southampton?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You expect us to tell you?

Here's how it works: you post an article from somewhere, we all read it and go "hmm...interesting. Thanks, NewsBot".

;)

These days it's a job for the fullbacks to provide that kind of service.

How many assists have United's full-backs got this season?

How many did Cole provide for Chelsea last season?

Assists

Man Utd

Nani - 18

Giggs - 8

O'Shea - 3

Fabio - 1

Rafael - 1

Evra... erm none I think.

Chelsea

Kalou - 5

Malouda - 5

Ivanovic - 5

Cole - 4

Arsenal

Arshavin - 11

Walcott - 7

Sagna - 3

Clichy - 1

Liverpool

Kuyt - 8

Meireles - 7

Suarez - 5

Johnson - 2

Aurelio - 1

In fact there's only 2 full backs - Baines and Ivanovic - in the top 50 assists so far this season.

Official Site of the Premier League | Statistics