You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Liverpool target £32m creative trio - Liverpool FC

Liverpool target £32m creative trio

Liverpool are reportedly looking to inject some creativity this summer and will make moves for three attacking targets in the hope that one or more of those approached will move to Anfield.

Director of Football Damien Comolli has identified Barcelona attacker Jeffren as a potential target whilst Kenny Dalglish continues to court Blackpool playmaker Charlie Adam and will enter the race to sign Aston Villa contract rebel Ashley Young.

All three targets are within the Merseyside club's price range and all would help provide ammunition for January arrivals Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll. Liverpool's new owners have no qualms about investing significant funds on players who have good sell on value and are keen to avoid paying for players over 30 years of age.

The purchases of Suarez and Carroll were covered by the sales of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel and as such Dalglish will be given plenty of money to spend this summer when the Scot is expected to sign a long term deal after a successful period as caretaker boss.

23 year old Barcelona man Jeffren has struggled to make an impact and may jump at the chance of a new challenge and a move for the Venezuela born former Spanish Under 21 international would be similar to the move that Comolli secured for Giovani dos Santos during his stint at Tottenham.

Scottish international Charlie Adam has set his heart on a big move this summer and some sources believe that the former Rangers man is very interested in a move to Liverpool but could be swayed into a move to Old Trafford.

Ashley Young would help add much needed width to Liverpool's attack, especially as Maxi, Joe Cole and Dirk Kuyt offer a less direct threat from the wings, however the Aston Villa man is also the subject of interest from Man United.

The England international seems likely to leave Villa Park having run down his contract and with only a year left on his current deal come the summer, Gerard Houllier will probably elect to sell now rather than keep an unhappy player and lose him for nothing at the end of next term.

Liverpool star set for an Italian job

Published 23:00 28/03/11 By David Maddock

Napoli head the queue for Liverpool midfielder Lucas, who has not yet been offered a new Anfield contract.

The Brazilian international is closing in on the last 12 months of his current deal, and there have been no moves from within the club to extend.

That suggests his days on Merseyside are numbered, with the club already preparing their transfer plans for the summer under new director of football Damien Comolli.

The fact that talks have not even opened suggests it is now unlikely to happen, and Serie A side Napoli have taken note.

The Italians are ready to offer around £3million, which could be enough for them to get their man as Liverpool are hoping to get ready-made replacement Charlie Adam from Blackpool for a similar figure, given that he too will only have a year remaining on his contract at the end of the season.

james mccarthy wud be a decent signing good passer and got a good strike on him.. we need a clever reader of a game type centre half.. how about ciaran clark from the villa. get him cheap as ged is makin such a mess of them..

Fuck off. Seriously... is WOULD so fucking hard to type? WUD? Jesus wept.

james mccarthy wud be a decent signing good passer and got a good strike on him.. we need a clever reader of a game type centre half.. how about ciaran clark from the villa. get him cheap as ged is makin such a mess of them..

Maybe Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Aiden McGeady, Richard Dunne, Shay Given, Niall Quinn, Liam Brady, and Johnny Giles, too?

There's so many flaws in Adams' game I just can't see him being a successful first choice here, or for any top level team.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lucas but I'd much prefer him to stay than Adams being signed.

I gotta agree with the flaws in Adam's game. He's not particularly athletic/fitness levels are not very high. He doesn't close down the opposition particularly well.

I think he can do the "Xabi" role, but he'll not offer the defensive side of Xabi's game... at least not until he learns the role a bit more. I think his game intelligence will get him growing into Xabi's role really well, though.

Meireles can press, as he's very athletic, and seems to be able to run endlessly for most of the game... but he can't do it every game.

I would much rather see a more athletic, defensive minded player coming into the first team to help Meireles and Gerrard press.

From IFA website.

SIXTEEN-year-old Ryan McLaughlin has had an action-packed year. The Northern Ireland Under-17 international helped his school Saint Mary's to Senior Cup success on Saint Patrick's Day and makes the move to Liverpool this summer.

On the international front, however the talented full-back has just as much to look forward to. McLaughlin is currently in Belgium with the rest of Paul Kee's Under-17 squad for a UEFA European U17 Championship Elite Round mini tournament.

A member of last year's squad, McLaughlin believes that experience can only be a good thing. “Having that experience is very useful, you have that experience and you know what you're up against and you know what you've got to look forward to.

“There are a couple of us, including Gareth Deane who have a year behind us and that will certainly help us. Hopefully it can help Paul (Kee) and Paschal (Vaudequin) to have us on board.

“It will be great to test ourselves against some of the best sides in the world. I believe we still have enough quality to mix it with the best. With a positive attitude anything can happen. In the last campaign we dealt well, even when we without key players. The 6-1 win against Azerbaijan showed this.”

The former Lisburn Youth and Glenavon player shares this optimism for his own career.

“Things are going really well. I've signed for Liverpool on a three year contract and move over later this year. Hopefully I can play well over there and do enough to earn a renewal of my contract and we'll see where things go.”