You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Courtesy of the official site,Holloway is class.

Ian Holloway claims Alex Ferguson still has a long way to go to overcome Liverpool.

The Tangerines boss believes there is no club with a better tradition, support or atmosphere than LFC, saying nobody has managed to emulate us in terms of being a "real football club".

Holloway said: "I just hope that things go well for Liverpool because the tradition of that football club, the way their fans are, that song they sing at the start - that's a real football club.

"I want to make Blackpool as famous, if not more famous, which is going to be impossible because even Fergie hasn't done that yet, he hasn't quite beat Liverpool yet."

Holloway went on to speak of his admiration for Reds boss Kenny Dalglish as both a player and a manager, adding that he was looking forward to going head to head with him on Wednesday night.

Watch Holloway's words now

He said: "Kenny Dalglish is a legend and I hope it goes well for him because he deserves that status in my opinion.

"I took my wife on holiday once up in Scotland and I had a lot of driving to do and I wanted her to relax and she bought me his book but in a cassette form before CDs. I stuck it in and it was just fantastic hearing his dulcet tones talking to me, telling me about his life. It was just absolutely fantastic.

"I cannot remember a player better then Kenny ever in my whole life and the epitome of it for me was to see him score the winning goal that got Liverpool the double. To be able to do that as player/manager I think was quite wonderful.

"He's a fantastic fellow who I'd like to know better but I won't get a chance because he's now working again and he'll be opposite me in the dugout - which will be another wonderful thin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TesticleOReilly
Anyone have any up to date stats for honours that us and the scum have won?

We're 3 ahead, I think, if my fading memory serves me right. That's counting everything, tho', charity shield, all that bollocks, 'cause you can bet your bottom gonad that if it was the Johnstone's Paint Trophy that took them past our haul they'd claim it.

He mentioned something else too...saw it on SSN this morning (I think!).

Anyways, he talks about the first time, a few years back, when he met Kenny at some managers conference. Holloway was player manager at that stage. He went up and asked Kenny for his autograph, "'cause I thought he was a genius of a player".

"I can't tell you what he said to me, 'cause he thought I was taking the mick!".

Fair play to Holloway. Top man.

Guest TesticleOReilly
I took my wife on holiday once, up in Scotland, had a lot of driving to do and I wanted her to relax, and she bought me his book, but in a cassette form, before CDs, and I stuck it in and it was just fantastic hearing his dulcit tones, talking to me, telling me about his life, it was just absolutely fantastic. Up in Scotland as well, how fitting is that, y'know, but I don't ... I can't remember a better player than him EVER in my whole life, and I think the epitome of it for me was to see him score, the winning goal that get them the double, and the goal in the European Cup final, and to be able to do that as player manager, I think it was quite wonderful, and I asked him, I had one chance, I met him, and I asked him for his autograph (laughing), it was at a manager's association thing, and he told me well I can't tell you what he said, but the second word was 'off' and the first one started in 'F' 'cause he thought I was taking the mickey. He didn't realise (he was) an absolute football genius, which I thought he was one, the admiration I had because I was Bristol Rovers player manager and I found it almost impossible (to be both), and he said to me "it wasn't me, it was the staff I had around me" which again is typical him.

He's a fantastic fella, who I'd like to know better, but I won't get a chance 'cause he's now working again, and he'll be opposite me in the dug-out, which is another wonderful thing. I just hope things go well for Liverpool, but not on Wednesday night, because the tradition of that football club, the way their fans are, that song they sing at the start, that's a real football club, and I wanna make this one as famous, if not more, which is going to be impossible, 'cause even Fergie hasn't done that yet, has he, he hasn't quite beat them yet, but Kenny's a legend, and I hope it goes well for them 'cause he deserves that status, in my opinion.

Holloway gets it. And sometimes we even forget. It doesn't matter how many trophies they win. They don't just want to beat us, they want to BE us. And they never can. No matter what Ferguson does, they can never be us.

Even if they overtake us, we will still be Liverpool FC and that will still mean more to an awful lot of people around the globe.

Guest San Don

Holloway's a red!

Think he says it on the BBC site, he was thinking of chucking it in and building chicken coops instead! The King told him not to be a soft lad, think about things then get back into it again.

Which is what he did and look where he is now.

Love holloway to keep Blackpool in the PL but I hope we get 3 points tomorrow.

Holloway's one of a selected few managers I respect (which is a very small list). When he had a bit of trouble a couple of years ago I always wished he'd make it into the PL.

Was hoping that Sky wouldn't rip him apart this season with his personality and I'm made up he's done well (appart from our games)

Got a lot of time for him. Hope he does well in the tricky 'second season'.

Love him, he can come to us anytime (not as manager though), PR possibly.

PL managers

Yes No Not bothered

Coyle Ferguson Mancini

Holloway Wenger Moyes (no he doesn't these days)

Ancellotti Redknapp Pulis

Di Matteo Bruce (but getting better) Pardew

Martinez Hughes Akram

Houllier McArthy

McLeish Kean

Love him, he can come to us anytime (not as manager though), PR possibly.

PL managers

Yes No Not bothered

Coyle Ferguson Mancini

Holloway Wenger Moyes (no he doesn't these days)

Ancellotti Redknapp Pulis

Di Matteo Bruce (but getting better) Pardew

Martinez Hughes AkramHoullier McArthy

McLeish Kean

Was wondering what happened to Wasim.

You can tell I'm not bothered, hardly seems worth remembering his name as those smart guys at West Ham have decided that now West Ham have started winning (1 defeat in 7 games, 4 wins) he must go and that other man with the Fat Head is required. How can sacking your manager make a difference eh? Crazy

Daily Star's version of the interview (from Newsnow):

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: Blackpool boss Ian Holloway's worry for Liverpool's Kenny Dalglish

BLACKPOOL BOSS IAN HOLLOWAY'S WORRY FOR LIVERPOOL'S KENNY DALGLISH

By Daily Star Reporter

IAN HOLLOWAY has warned Kenny Dalglish that he risks tarnishing his Anfield hero status by returning to manage struggling Liverpool.

Blackpool boss Holloway insists he will be going flat out tonight to ensure Dalglish’s first league game in charge for nearly 20 years ends in defeat.

Holloway is worried Dalglish’s brave decision could backfire – just as Alan Shearer’s did when he went back to Newcastle two years ago.

He said it would take time to transform Liverpool into serious title challengers and added: “They’ll come back again because of the passion of their fans. They’ve got their man now, they need to get behind him and get behind the team.’’

every silver lining has a cloud!

Daily Star's version of the interview (from Newsnow):

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: Blackpool boss Ian Holloway's worry for Liverpool's Kenny Dalglish

BLACKPOOL BOSS IAN HOLLOWAY'S WORRY FOR LIVERPOOL'S KENNY DALGLISH

By Daily Star Reporter

IAN HOLLOWAY has warned Kenny Dalglish that he risks tarnishing his Anfield hero status by returning to manage struggling Liverpool.

Blackpool boss Holloway insists he will be going flat out tonight to ensure Dalglish’s first league game in charge for nearly 20 years ends in defeat.

Holloway is worried Dalglish’s brave decision could backfire – just as Alan Shearer’s did when he went back to Newcastle two years ago.

He said it would take time to transform Liverpool into serious title challengers and added: “They’ll come back again because of the passion of their fans. They’ve got their man now, they need to get behind him and get behind the team.’’

every silver lining has a cloud!

What an awful article. Talk about misrepresenting the facts.

What an awful article. Talk about misrepresenting the facts.

then you'll love this one:

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

By Matthew Dunn

IAN HOLLOWAY has accused Kenny Dalglish of being a “skeleton in the closet” at Anfield over the past six months and feels only Jose Mourinho could have survived having such a strong figure in the background.

Dalglish has stepped away from an ambassadorial role to take control of team affairs after Roy Hodgson was sacked as Liverpool manager on Friday.

His return to Premier League football comes at Bloomfield Road tonight against a Blackpool team whose win at Anfield in October did as much as anything to damage Hodgson’s tenure.

But according to Holloway, last season’s manager of the year Hodgson did not stand a chance. “The whole thing about Liverpool was that Kenny was given the job of finding someone, then said he wanted it himself,” said Holloway.

“I’m not sure it was a good job for anyone else to take after that. Maybe Jose Mourinho could have dealt with it, but I’m not sure about anyone else. It’s really difficult when there was no stability first of all.

“Has Kenny ever really left? If there was ever a skeleton in the closet, it’s Kenny.”

Holloway, however, still wishes Dalglish all the best. He said: “Now it’s out in the open, I hope it goes well for him.

“He has this affinity, you hear him talk and it’s obvious how much he cares about Liverpool.

“Now I hope he has got what he wants and I hope he does brilliantly. It would be great if Liverpool were to turn back time.”

For all of his suspicions over Dalglish’s presence, the last thing Holloway wants is for the man whose autograph he once sought at a League Managers Association meeting to tarnish his good name.

“I don’t want the fans to ever turn on Kenny – he doesn’t deserve that,” said Holloway. “What Kenny can’t do is carry the can for all this.

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

“If he was young enough to play, he would make a huge difference but, when you’re on the line, sometimes no matter what you say, it doesn’t always have the same effect.”

“Look at Alan Shearer at Newcastle. That’s the best example. Luckily the fans still like him.” On that point, Holloway believes Liverpool fans need a reality check.

He said: “Expectation and tradition are fuelling that club. We had it at QPR. When we were playing them someone shouted, ‘You ain’t famous any more’.

“Liverpool fans have to realise the enormity of the money that has gone into other clubs is having a huge impact.

“Liverpool will come back again because of the passion of their fans, but my worry is they are too passionate at times.They need to chill out.”

Holloway has different expectations and said: “If we can take six points off Liverpool, how chuffed am I going to be?

“ I’ll be dancing round Sainsbury’s. I’ll swing the trolley round, saying, ‘How dare people say all that about us at the start of the year’.”

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football