You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Remembrance Day

Malarkey

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Ok, two things to do here. Show me the conversation and how it went. If you're right then I'll tip my hat to you. Oh and this time of year? if a nonce is a nonce he's not more of nonce at Halloween. 

Secondly, answer my question like I answered yours. 

Here you go. The "they" is the whole of Bomber Command not just the Dresden pilots.  

On 06/11/2023 at 18:48, Captain Willard said:

The key word in that sentence is “but”. I regard the young men who risked their lives defending our freedom in the Second World War as heroes and a lot of people in this country do as well. That’s the point of Remembrance Sunday. More civilians (25,000) died in Dresden in 2 days than decades of this conflict.  Do you think Bomber command were war criminals for bombing German cities and if not why not ?  

Yes I do think they were war criminals by the very definition of the term. Of course they were just 'following orders' but so where the cunts at the Nuremberg trials.

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Here you go. The "they" is the whole of Bomber Command not just the Dresden pilots.  

The key word in that sentence is “but”. I regard the young men who risked their lives defending our freedom in the Second World War as heroes and a lot of people in this country do as well. That’s the point of Remembrance Sunday. More civilians (25,000) died in Dresden in 2 days than decades of this conflict.  Do you think Bomber command were war criminals for bombing German cities and if not why not ?  

Yes I do think they were war criminals by the very definition of the term. Of course they were just 'following orders' but so where the cunts at the Nuremberg trials.

It took until 1977 for the indiscriminate bombing of innocent civilians to be deemed a war crime but in my eyes any murder of innocent civilians in my eyes is a war crime. 

is that hard for you? 

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Ah right, I forgot that Bomber Command encompassed everyone in the RAF, or more specifically just the people that died. He was quite obviously referring to the people directing the operation, not the poor cunts tasked with carrying it out.

C'mon, ffs.

He's not making that distinction at all.  I don't know why you are trying to twist the plain text of the exchange to be something somehow less offensive, he's not. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

He's not making that distinction at all.  I don't know why you are trying to twist the plain text of the exchange to be something somehow less offensive, he's not. 

Subjective. I take a minute every year on remembrance Sunday for those that gave their lives. I'm not ignorant to the fact that war crimes were committed. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/11/2023 at 10:15, halewood pete said:

My dad on the right in a photo he sent to my mum during the war.

20181006_085215.jpg

My two Uncles fought in WW2,one was part of the Dunkirk retreat and the other was in the 8th Army. They were such 'big mouths' that I never even knew this until they'd both passed away. Real veterans usually want to forget more than remember. It's usually how you tell the genuine ones from the phonies. No stories about false heroics,only real stories about being scared shitless of dying while loads of their mates actually did. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

Nailed on these cunts end up disgracing themselves and fight with the police.

image.jpeg

Ignorant cunts do not give a toss about the veterans or any other of the stuff they are posturing about.

It is all just an excuse for the knuckle dragging morons (given to them by the lunatics in government) to drink carling, sing that dirge of a so called national anthem and the rest of their ignorant songbook and threaten and maybe even get a few digs in at a few people who have zero interest in any agg.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

No becuase it’s ridiculous fairytale nonsense. I thought you’d reached a low when you called  55,000 dead RAF servicemen “war criminals” but this is on a par. 

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

if you don't think this government is capable of that especially given the rhetoric from Braverman this week then you're thicker than I thought. As for calling the pilots who bombed Dresden war criminals, let's have some context. They dropped bombs on innocent civilians, you asked me are they war criminals then and I responded with that to me is a war crime. Are Israel currently at war with Hamas? if so, would you call the bombing of innocent people, hospitals and the like war crimes? 

Like I said, you've got the moral compass of a fucking gremlin that's been fed after midnight. 

@Captain Willard ? I knew you wouldn't answer the first or second time but the fact I keep have to asking is telling its own story. 

My politics aren't perfect, I don't mind being wrong or challenged. Sometimes I feel proud that I stand on the right side of history then I remember certain things and even things I've done and been part of. It's ok to get shit wrong. Now answer the question. 

Well that's awkward 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pro-palestine-march-protest-london-police-armistice-b2445123.html

"Royal British Legion backs pro-Palestine demonstrators’ right to protest amid march row"

‘The British armed forces play a vital role in protecting the rights and freedoms of everyone in UK society’

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Well that's awkward 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pro-palestine-march-protest-london-police-armistice-b2445123.html

"Royal British Legion backs pro-Palestine demonstrators’ right to protest amid march row"

‘The British armed forces play a vital role in protecting the rights and freedoms of everyone in UK society’

The true veterans will acknowledge the support they received from many Arabs loyal to the Allied forces during WW2. 12,000 Palestinians and over 5.5 fought with the Allies back then. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Expand  

I saw an interview with a veteran of Bomber Command - years ago, before they had a memorial - and he was saying that it was right that they weren't memorialised, because they were fighting for a world in which the kind of stuff they did would be unacceptable.

• Upvote 1