You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Walkman, yay or nay?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Walkman, yay or nay?

• Of course, I was raised right.
    • Well... it was a Sharp (or Panasonic etc.), but I'm saying yeah.
    • Nope.
    • What's a cassette? (I'm 12)

YNWA etc...

So, hands up who had a proper Sony Walkman at one point? I remember getting one for xmas and being disappointed it wasn't the yellow waterproof version. Why the hell would I need a waterproof walkman? It was a chunky plastic number, whereas my dad had this awesome, sleek metal model. Sexy.

walkman-logo.jpg

Some lad at school had one with digital controls. Wanker. The joy was in the huge buttons on the sides. I remember listening to it in art class when I sat on a rickety old stool and it broke. Weeks to get over that humiliation.

of course - probably one of the most significant and memorable items i ever bought as a kid.

i remember saving up all my newspaper route money for our big trip to america (too expensive and exclusive in canada at the time). i didn't care about anything except acquiring that walkman.

the original design (as shown) was a bit fragile, but i graduated to a water-resistant plastic model after that.

i listened to it daily for years.

I had a Walkman but it wasn't a top branded one, it was one that came from the petrol station after collecting tokens. Think I got the walkman and my sister got a small electronic keyboard.

A few years later I bought a portable CD player and then later a mini-disk player. Who'd have thought of something like an iPhone back then?

Sony Walkman for me. Auto reverse and megabass option; sweet. I only threw mine out a few years ago, it wasn't a top end but still a Sony; pretty sturdy little bugger (actually it wasn't that small, I had to adapt a few coat pockets to get it in).

I used to rewind tapes on a biro to 'save' the batteries of course.

My brother was given one for his birthday, it was top end. Not a Sony but real expensive, ultra compact and only took one battery. My dad was ranting about the "incredible sound quality" and then proceeded to reverse over it in his Vauxhall, it didn't sound incredible after that.

Can't believe the Owen-Up on this poll.

*shakes head*

Guest ShoePiss

That big yellow 'waterproof' one was the sony sports, wasn't that waterproof I found.

retro_ipod_case.JPG

Funny that the first picture I find is where someone has gutted the sports case and used it as an ipod case.