You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Broughton

RedEagle

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Martin Broughton prepares to watch his final Anfield game as Liverpool Chairman this evening, he has written a message to all supporters in the official match programme.

This evening's game is my last home fixture as Chairman of Liverpool Football Club.

It was always my stated intention to stand down once the sale was completed and I am happy that the club is now in good hands.

This has been one of the most memorable experiences of my working life and I would like to wish Liverpool and its supporters every success for the future.

The last seven months have been a pleasure and a privilege for me to serve this fantastic sporting institution.

Everybody associated with the club can now look forward to an exciting future with the right owners and the club on a secure financial footing.

I am proud to have been your Chairman during this turbulent time and would like to place on record my thanks to all of you, for the support you gave me, Christian Purslow, Ian Ayre and all the staff during this period.

Liverpool FC will always hold a special place in my heart as a result of the relationships I have forged over these past months.

Top man.

His legacy:

- Helped rid the club of G&H; but

- Replaced Rafa with Hodgson because the media told him to.

I'll not reflect fondly on his tenure.

Seriously? Well then you have absolutely no sense of perspective. Managers come and go, however the club was seriously fucked with the 2 cunts at the helm. He got rid of them so he is a fucking hero. You on the other hand...

Seriously? Well then you have absolutely no sense of perspective. Managers come and go, however the club was seriously fucked with the 2 cunts at the helm. He got rid of them so he is a fucking hero. You on the other hand...

I have plenty of perspective on what happened, from both a corporate finance and footballing point of view.

But go on, mate, you make your Broughton banner. "Hero"? Fucking laughable.

I have plenty of perspective on what happened, from both a corporate finance and footballing point of view.

Hah, well you most likely even believe what you wrote above.

**Shakes head**

As Martin Broughton prepares to watch his final Anfield game as Liverpool Chairman this evening, he has written a message to all supporters in the official match programme.

This evening's game is my last home fixture as Chairman of Liverpool Football Club.

It was always my stated intention to stand down once the sale was completed and I am happy that the club is now in good hands.

This has been one of the most memorable experiences of my working life and I would like to wish Liverpool and its supporters every success for the future.

The last seven months have been a pleasure and a privilege for me to serve this fantastic sporting institution.

Everybody associated with the club can now look forward to an exciting future with the right owners and the club on a secure financial footing.

I am proud to have been your Chairman during this turbulent time and would like to place on record my thanks to all of you, for the support you gave me, Christian Purslow, Ian Ayre and all the staff during this period.

Liverpool FC will always hold a special place in my heart as a result of the relationships I have forged over these past months.

Top man.

'Martin don't go back to London, you can stay at my house'

400_F_12791012_DC04tUJtQA0IHebWgNIFSTkeDciEBfjF.jpg

His legacy:

When did MongIslander get a name change?

Broughton played a blinder. For a while a number of fans were wavering as we didn't know what was going on. As it turned out, he put in a bigger shift than he initially thought would be needed due to the immense effort required to oust G&H. Had G&H been men of their word then the sales process would have been smoother and Broughton would have been in and out with a big cheque for his trouble.

I'm sure he still left with a big cheque, but you won't find any right-minded fan objecting. He missed his first BA board meeting in ten years due to commiments as LFC Chairman. He was honest, informative and forthright in the interviews he gave, and he always carried himself with great dignity.

He is a leading British businessman and I'm sure he needed every ounce of that to do right by the club and see off G&H. He took care of the details and stood resolute in the face of attempted bullying and bluster at the eleventh hour by G&H. I'm sure he never imagined he would have to go to the High Court, but he was prepared to do whatever was needed to do the best by LFC.

So in my view he does, rightly, leave as a hero.

Top man Martin Broughton.

Tell me; what's your take on what Broughton achieved from a CF perspective? What made it particularly praiseworthy?

Under his leadership the course we were on, towards financial oblivion, was stopped in its tracks and new owners put in place. Broughton played and enormous part in seeing to that. Financially we are now £30M+ a year better off, due to loan interest not having to be paid.

Broughton did his job impeccably, even going to the High Court when he would never have expected that sort of hassle when he took the role on. He also has a possible $1.6Bn lawsuit hanging over his head due to doing what was right by the club and seeing off G&H.

Getting into the nitty gritty of what he may have done wrong seems churlish and ill advised at this stage of the game.

His legacy:

Do I get this right?

He managed to get rid of the owners who put the club on the very brink of its existence as we knew it.

He also played a part in appointing a manager who is not very good.

One could never have been rectified, the other could be rectified next week.

And you don't look back on his legacy fondly?

Beyond pathetic.

Do I get this right?

He managed to get rid of the owners who put the club on the very brink of its existence as we knew it.

He also played a part in appointing a manager who is not very good.

One could never have been rectified, the other could be rectified next week.

And you don't look back on his legacy fondly?

Beyond pathetic.

What's "pathetic" is that you'll not conceive that someone can have a different view to your own. What's "pathetic" is not taking the trouble to understand why someone might have a different point of view, and what qualifies them to have it. What's "pathetic" is pronouncing your own opinion effectively as fact when you clearly know absolutely about the subject in hand.

You have a superficial view based on a superficial understanding of what Broughton and his team did. Educate yourself properly, then perhaps we can debate the matter like adults.