You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

JER

Just so that I'm clear on this kids as human shields thing. If someone breaks into my house and I point a gun at him. Then he picks up a baby and puts it between us, I'm allowed to shoot the baby and then shoot him? That's how it works, yeah?

Gun is a bit low key. It would be more appropriate to call in an air strike and then have a tank roll over the remains.

What does he break into your house for , to rob you , or kill you and all your family ? Is it your baby he picks up or his ?

Well, let's say that he plans to kill us all but has only brought a baseball bat compared to my Magnum 44. The child is not mine, presumably it has either wandered in off the street or possibly the guy couldn't get a babysitter before he broke into my house

So despite the fact you have a magnum 44 , he still swings the baseball at your infants head . Then what

No, I was very clear that it is not my child. He possibly represents a threat to my family but I have massively outgunned him. He is not threatening the baby.

Should I shoot the baby so that I can shoot him?

No, I was very clear that it is not my child. He possibly represents a threat to my family but I have massively outgunned him. He is not threatening the baby.

Should I shoot the baby so that I can shoot him?

So , he swings the baseball bat at a member of your family's head , possibly a lethal blow ?

So , he swings the baseball bat at a member of your family's head , possibly a lethal blow ?

Not really what I asked you and doesnt really work as an analogy but, fuck it, let's go with it. Do I stop him from swinging at my family with a weapon that is not very effective, by blowing apart the baby he is holding?

Suppose he kills the member of your family , how many more can he kill before you kill him and by default the baby  he is holding ? Or conversely , there are 5 of them each holding a baby and a baseball bat, how many members of your family will die before you start killing ?

These hypothetical situations really add nothing to the argument.

Israel has a right to defend itself. Iron Dome, ground forces, and surgical strikes on missile launch sand storage sites.

But, they're not doing that. They're using inaccurate heavy artillery to bombard a civilian population. It was on Sky News the other day. A fighter ship trying to bomb a mosque. The reporter said he'd been watching them trying to hit it for the past 5 minutes, with several shells falling short into the sea.

It made me wonder how many times a similar thing had happened with shells falling short, or long, in civilian areas? How many buildings had been destroyed because of this? How many innocent people killed?

It's not defence. It's reckless bombardment. With a total disregard for civilian life.

But, it's alright, "only" 1,400 have died....