You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

JER

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

Veteran politician claims MPs pander to Muslim voters with anti-Jewish rhetoric and glorify Palestinians as underdogs

(18)

Tweet this (46)

Harriet Sherwood in Jerusalem

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 1 August 2010 16.20 BST

Article history

Shimon Peres on a trip to Slovenia earlier this month. His accusations against British MP are likely to spark a strong response. Photograph: Darko Bandic/AP

Israel's president, Shimon Peres, has accused some British MPs of pandering to anti-Israel sentiment among their Muslim voters, claiming there is a "deeply pro-Arab" core in the UK establishment.

In an interview with Jewish website Tablet, conducted by Israeli historian Benny Morris, Peres says: "There are several million Muslim voters [in the UK]. And for many members of parliament, that's the difference between getting elected and not getting elected."

On Labour politicians, he said: "They think the Palestinians are the underdog. In their eyes, the Arabs are the underdog. Even though this is irrational."

He offers the illustration of Israeli disengagement of Gaza as evidence of bias. "We evacuated 8,000 settlers, and it was very difficult … It cost us $2.5bn in compensation.

"We left the Gaza Strip completely. Why did they fire rockets at us? For years they fired rockets at us … When they fired at us, the British didn't say a word."

Peres's remarks chime with a deepening concern among Israeli politicians that opinion, particularly in Europe, is turning against the Jewish state.

Last week, David Cameron described Gaza as a "prison camp" during a visit to Turkey, which some commentators interpreted as a hardening of an anti-Israel position in Britain.

Peres, 86, also claimed there is more antisemitism in the UK than is acknowledged. "There is in England a saying that an antisemite is someone who hates the Jews more than is necessary."

He added: "There has always been something deeply pro-Arab, of course, not among all Englishmen, and anti-Israeli, in the establishment."

He cited historical examples of Britain's failure to support Israeli interests, including abstention in the 1947 UN partition resolution, an arms embargo against Israel in the 1950s and a defence treaty with Jordan. "They always worked against us," he said.

However, he conceded that there is support for Israel today on the British right.

Yesterday Labour MP Denis MacShane, who chaired a parliamentary inquiry into antisemitism in 2005, said Peres was wrong.

"While there has certainly been a growth of anti-semitic attacks in the UK and too many MPs and civil servants refuse to acknowledge the growth of neo antisemitism, I do not consider Britain to be an antisemitic nation any more than it is an Islamophobic nation, despite some ugly words and actions against both Jews and Muslims," he said.

Mark Gardner, from the Community Security Trust, a charity that monitors antisemitism in the UK, said that although it was possible to "make a case" in support of Peres's comments the UK government had worked hard to tackle the problem of antisemitism.

"There is no doubt that statistically the number of antisemitic incidents is higher now than it was in the 1990s," he said. "However, the government is taking correct and proper measures to tackle this and address the concerns of the Jewish community."

Diane Abbott, Labour leadership candidate, described Peres's comments as "rubbish".

"It is a confusion that people make all the time between a criticism of the policies of the Israeli government and criticism of Israel itself."

Abbott said there was no correlation between MPs' views on Israeli policies and the religious or cultural makeup of their constituencies. And she denied there was a "pro Arab" bias in the British establishment.

"On the contrary, the British people are naturally sympathetic to the Israeli people because of the origins of that state but that does not mean there can be no legitimate criticism of the policies of the Israeli government."

Peres is a veteran Israeli politician, who was first elected to the Knesset in 1959. As foreign minister, he won the Nobel peace prize in 1994, along with Yitzhak Rabin and Yasser Arafat, for the Oslo accords. He served twice as prime minister, and was elected president in 2007.

I nearly spat my coffee all over the keyboard reading this horseshit. I would say that any rational person in the world would describe Palestine as underdogs.

Community Security Trust=mossad

The CST has five offices, 55 members of staff and a network of 3,000 volunteers from all parts of the Jewish community, who are trained by the CST and the Police. The organisation's philosophy is that the Jewish community is responsible for its own security. It works closely with Police Services around the country and is recognised by Government and Police as a model of a minority community security organisation.

Mostly made up of spies I'd say.

It is unclear whether the UK is pro-Arab or anti-Israel, but it is unarguable that Israel is anti-Arab. Maybe he should busy his geriatric self with addressing his own nation's bigotry before pointing the finger at a nation that supports his damn country's existence.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It is unclear whether the UK is pro-Arab or anti-Israel

The UK, as far as the government is concerned, is very pro-Israeli.

It is unclear whether the UK is pro-Arab or anti-Israel, but it is unarguable that Israel is anti-Arab. Maybe he should busy his geriatric self with addressing his own nation's bigotry before pointing the finger at a nation that supports his damn country's existence.

Why would they be anything else? The Arabs have been trying to destroy them since day 1. Israel's restraint, given their alleged "anti-Arab" stance, is quite remarkable. They could obliterate their enemies and wipe out the Palestinians in a stroke but instead they give back land they conquered from the Arabs and allow the Palestinians to form governments. Israel has done a decent job of behaving as a civilised democracy in the face of incredible hostility. If the situation was reversed, an Arab country would be nowhere near as tolerant as Israel has been. And the Americans would have bombed the shit out of all their neighbours a long time ago if they were in the same situation as Israel.

The UK, as far as the government is concerned, is very pro-Israeli.

Spot on. As is the US government. Might have something to do with the amount of Jews in high power roles.

I don't give a fuck if someone labels that statement anti-semitic. Israel are the biggest terrorist state about, and have been hiding behind their holocaust lies for years.

The fuck?

Should I be more appalled that a comment like this could be made on here or that it has been up for more than an hour without anyone pulling it up?

The six million figure that was branded about is a myth. That has been well and truly proven without a shadow of doubt.

So yes there was holocaust lies. :whatever:

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The six million figure that was branded about is a myth. That has been well and truly proven without a shadow of doubt.

So yes there was holocaust lies. :whatever:

I've only just spotted this (and your first post). Can you provide the proof of your claims, please. Oh, and Holocaust has a capital 'H'. Always.

I agree that Israel are a terrorist state, but if you're going to bandy about that lies were made about the amount of dead as a result of the Holocaust, you're going to need some real proof.

SD: It was lunch time and Torres just announced he was staying. I wouldn't read into it too much.

Holocaust denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holocaust denial consists of claims that the genocide of Jews during World War II—usually referred to as the Holocaust[1]—did not occur at all, or that it did not happen in the manner or to the extent historically recognized. Key elements of these claims are the rejection of any of the following: that the German Nazi government had a policy of deliberately targeting Jews for extermination as a people; that more than five million Jews[1] were systematically killed by the Nazis and their allies; and that genocide was carried out at extermination camps using tools of mass murder, such as gas chambers.[2][3]

Holocaust deniers generally do not accept the term "denial" as an appropriate description of their point of view, and use the term Holocaust revisionism instead.[4]

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That old chestnut :whatever:

One should really ask themselves, what are they afraid that people will find out? How come it's not called denial to look into any other atrocities?

Where's the fucking proof, mate. Getting a little pissed here. I've, quite charitably, given you two attempts to provide new, history altering evidence before I will have no choice but to releash the Kraken.

That's got to smart.

I'm sure some shit did happen during the Holocaust but this is how Jews work - if you don't agree with them, they get butthurt and work together to ruin you and this is one of the reasons why they have been so disliked and persecuted for thousands of years.

Now imagine a country with nuclear weapons, in one of the most volatile regions on Earth, with leaders and civilians with the above attitude and the go-ahead from the USA to do anything they please. That is Israel.

Obviously definitive proof is hard to find, for people have good reasons to hide the facts.

Webshots - Full Size Photo

"Holocaust" numbers -

2000 days X 24 hours X 60 minutes X 60 seconds

That is 172,800,000 seconds

Divided by 6,000,000

One Jew, identified, detained, "arrested", transported, killed, and body disposed of every 30 seconds. Not very likely now, is it?

I'm pretty sure those maths are correct.

• Downvote 2

I'm sure some shit did happen during the Holocaust but this is how Jews work - if you don't agree with them, they get butthurt and work together to ruin you and this is one of the reasons why they have been so disliked and persecuted for thousands of years.

It seems to be Ignorant Retard Day on TLW.

The reason Jews have been persecuted for thousands of years are many and diverse, but "working together to ruin" people isn't one of them.

Obviously definitive proof is hard to find, for people have good reasons to hide the facts.

Webshots - Full Size Photo

"Holocaust" numbers -

2000 days X 24 hours X 60 minutes X 60 seconds

That is 172,800,000 seconds

Divided by 6,000,000

One Jew, identified, detained, "arrested", transported, killed, and body disposed of every 30 seconds. Not very likely now, is it?

I'm pretty sure those maths are correct.

That's it, that's your evidence?

Fuck. Ing. Hell.

Since there is actually zero evidence of any holocaust what so ever, that isn't bad at all.

Apart from those thousands upon thousands of documents, including the Nazis' own documents, and all the witnesses, and the mountains of corpses, and all the confiscated property and all the other evidence, of course.

This is The Liverpool Way, isn't it? The forum reboot didn't accidentally redirect our URL to Stormfront, did it?

I guess everyone who has had cause to dislike them over the last 2,000 years then is an anti-semite.

Why did the Nazi's persecute Jews? Because the Nazi's were bullies and horrid and (they were, but they didn't just decide to pwn the Jews just for fun). They blamed them for the problems in Germany after WW1. They were not to blame for all of post-WW1 Germany's problems but when you round together and ensure when it comes to trade and commerce there are two rates - one for other Jews and a higher rate for gentiles (non-Jews) - you can expect the locals to get a little pissed off.

So, further to what I was saying, given the above - conniving and playing the victim IS still the order of the day when it comes down to it.

Is Halakha Insensitive to Non-Jews? The Case of Fraud | Text & Texture

Edited by Pony Princess