You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson in talks to retain stars

lucozade

It's a joke that Purslow is even involved in all this.

Hodgson should know the financial plans of the club and should be able to tell the players.

The fact that Torres has to go above him to Purslow points to a sad state of affairs. I can't imagine Rafa allowing that in a million years - and I mean this as no dig at Roy. I simply think that it's indicative of the fact that the parameters of the 'Liverpool Manager's role have been altered by the board.

The clock's been turned back to pre-Shankly days.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, what do people think the cost of that will be?

20m each? 25m?

So one of our players is saying if you don't spend 80-100m on new players RIGHT NOW, I'm leaving.

And it's Purslow that's getting stick?

There was a time when Liverpool fans would be spluttering with rage at such arrogant nonsense, but even with modern sophistication and a good handle on our financial plight, people can still go along with this?

Bewildering.

A lot of our support seem to have turned into cunts so why not the players.

I think you've got that the wrong way around.

If Gerrard or Torres (like Alonso last season) decide they want to leave, they will. It might take handing in a transfer request, but if they want to, they will leave.

The requests can be refused

Hmmm, don't recall saying that they were! Pretty sure that I simply pointed out the money that was received for them that has not yet be reinvested.

BUT, like for like, how did we lose out?

Just leads to the conclusion that the money makes everyone obsessed with it.

As has been stated a thousand times, United lost Ronaldo and Torres only to be replaced by Valencia and Owen!

Had Rafa picked someone better than Aquilani (or just someone that could be selected) we'd have been in a much better place than United, but we fell way below our standards thanks to simple things like fitness, tactics, belief and motivation.

And, most importantly of all, focus.

Improvements in which could mean we can tell Torres to stop his fucking blubbing and get on with his job, which would siginifcantly improve our performance in one decisive stroke, or stop pretending he has never part of his heart devoted to Liverpool.

Bottom line: nobody has made a formal bid for Gerrard or Torres.

For "political" reasons Purslow has instructed his mouthpiece, Hodgson, to state that neither are for sale. This will not only appease supporters temporarily, it will also establish a negotiating position with the two players and any potential bidders.

In my opinion, nobody of consequence will bid for Gerard so he is likely to stay by default. If Torres does not make an unequivocal statement that he will not move, then there will be bids for him. I believe that potential bidders have been in touch with his agent for some time.

Purslow would be only to happy to claim that he had extracted such a statement from either of them, if he had. But he has not.

Rafa would never have allowed the acting managing director to accompany him to his first bonding meeting with his players.

I think you've got that the wrong way around.

If Gerrard or Torres (like Alonso last season) decide they want to leave, they will. It might take handing in a transfer request, but if they want to, they will leave.

Yeah, but even then we only let him go after Madrid offered us the price we wanted. I don't think any clubs, besides City, are still interested in Gerrard and Torres after we quoted them our prices.

Fair point. The balance of power tends to ebb and flow. I know where I prefer to see it lie though.

It's a collective. Everyone does THEIR job. It shouldn't be about power or who gets the biggest say, as long as we get the right decision for the club by the end.

Then again, Bob had Smith and Robinson. Look who Rafa and Roy have got.

I'm happy for the coach to coach, what the yanks told Rafa to do, irony or ironies.

When Rafa did his table/lamp business it was very odd because whatever Valencia were doing, it was working. Thus it became more about what Rafa wanted to do with his own style rather than what had worked.

By the end here, Rafa didn't believe he was an employee, he thought he was running the place and anyone who cast doubt on that or tried to bring him up on it automatically became the enemy.

Should we go a different way with Roy, fair enough, but not to the extent he's a complete puppet with no say whatsoever. Whether that assertion is a real fear or scare tactics, we shall see.

Hodgson on Torres talks - Liverpool FC

Roy Hodgson today declared Fernando Torres is not for sale at any price after positive talks with the striker.

The new Liverpool boss met briefly with Torres before flying out to Switzerland to lead a pre-season training camp.

And today he has warned off potential suitors for the World Cup winner.

"I have met with Fernando. I found him to be a very pleasant man and we had a nice conversation," Hodgson told reporters in Bad Ragaz.

"As far as we are concerned he is a Liverpool player and we want him to remain a Liverpool player. He is not for sale and we don't welcome any offers for him.

"We want to keep him. My conversation with him was only short because I had to leave to come to the training camp in Switzerland. We spoke about football, the World Cup, his injury, and I told him how much I am looking forward to working with him.

"Christian Purslow was also at the meeting and chatted to Fernando for a lot longer after I left but my chat with him was only about football matters."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something's fishy with that closing statement.

Hodgson is missing no opportunity to re-iterate and re-emphasize exactly how much and respectively how little influence purslow and he have in these dealings.

"Christian Purslow was also at the meeting and chatted to Fernando for a lot longer after I left but my chat with him was only about football matters."

Thats gotta be either

(A) Talking about the ownership situation

or

(B) The owners are prepared to sell you if you want

Then again Christian might be talking tactics and planning to deploy Torres in nets.

Thats gotta be either

(A) Talking about the ownership situation

or

(B) The owners are prepared to sell you if you want

Then again Christian might be talking tactics and planning to deploy Torres in nets.

Deffo (A)

It's a collective. Everyone does THEIR job. It shouldn't be about power or who gets the biggest say, as long as we get the right decision for the club by the end.

Then again, Bob had Smith and Robinson. Look who Rafa and Roy have got.

I'm happy for the coach to coach, what the yanks told Rafa to do, irony or ironies.

When Rafa did his table/lamp business it was very odd because whatever Valencia were doing, it was working. Thus it became more about what Rafa wanted to do with his own style rather than what had worked.

By the end here, Rafa didn't believe he was an employee, he thought he was running the place and anyone who cast doubt on that or tried to bring him up on it automatically became the enemy.

Should we go a different way with Roy, fair enough, but not to the extent he's a complete puppet with no say whatsoever. Whether that assertion is a real fear or scare tactics, we shall see.

It's all about competence and trust though and if you don't trust the people you report to the whole thing falls to pieces. We haven't had a functioning "team" at the top for a long time and it's now showing in so many ways.

It's all about competence and trust though and if you don't trust the people you report to the whole thing falls to pieces. We haven't had a functioning "team" at the top for a long time and it's now showing in so many ways.

Exactly.

Pre-yanks as well, to be fair.