You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said Yahia got the second yellow for dissent. I've only seen it on iPlayer, but he didn't look like one of the Algerians yelling in the ref's face. If anything he pulled a couple of his teammates away from the ref. Maybe I've not seen the full incident though so I wait to stand corrected.

Wow. Unreal. Due to travel arrangements made months ago, I was unable to watch the match. That's probably for the best. Proud of our boys. I love the guts we've shown in the past 3 games.

And I'm super happy I didn't have to endure any of Lineker patronizing the US's commitment to football. Someone might want to tell him that if a small percentage of the US population follows or plays the sport, then that's more people than most countries. Big-eared orange unfunny cliched twat.

Said in another thread yesterday or the day before, if Mascherano goes I would be happy for us to replace him with Bradley. I really like him. I'd take him and Donovan from that American team, they are both very good footballers.

Did they? At the end of the interview, he said "Hi, Bianca" into the camera.

yeah it wasn't highly publicised or anything but espn did an interview with him a month or so ago and he mentioned it and i was kind of shocked. i read it online as well thereafter.

the only positive to it is he seems totally focused on his game and might just make the move overseas now. he only stayed in LA because of her.

Divorce helped Donovan reconcile differences - World Soccer - Yahoo! Sports

Guest Pistonbroke
The sun will rise tomorrow, unless it doesn't.

True. But you should be worried if they find their shooting boots. They are technically a good team, very physical and defend well. Personally i'm pleased we have to play Germany as i believe Ghana would have been a harder game to approach.

Guest Pistonbroke
Yeah I quite like him as well. Reminds me of a young, but not quite as good Steven Gerrard.

Be interesting to see him play for a better club team as he's only played for smaller clubs who have been involved with relegation battles. He looked decent enough for Mönchengladbach this season but wasn't anything special. I think with better players around him he would be a decent enough signing. Think he has two years of his contract still to run.

Serious question for the Yank lads on here- what's the interest in the tournament like out there?

I'm in England, so all I know is what I've heard from home. You've got to understand, first of all, that while the interest level is never at all like it is in some other countries, it's far from the "No one even knows what's going on!" stuff they run in the UK papers. Listen -- many people don't follow closely, but many people do. It's a fecking humungous country. World Cups -- especially ones in which the USA does well ('94, '02, '10) -- have two effects: for people who normally follow football (and there are lots of those, despite what you'll read), it's business as usual; for people who don't normally follow football, US success generates interest like Olympics do. For example, swimming is a minority sport, but when guys like Phelps come along people -- lots of people -- pay attention. The TV ratings in '08 were huge. Success creates excitement and draws newbies in. But there are still lots of people who follow football/soccer -- it's just not an across-the-board level of obsession and fandom like you see in Europe, Mexico, South America, etc.

But from what I've heard from home, bars have been absolutely filled with people watching the matches, and the level of excitement and engagement is on par with 2002 (when the US made the quarters and got f*cked against Germany), the group matches of '06, and last summer's Confederations Cup. The people who normally follow the team have always been there, but more and more people are getting sucked in by the team's (relative) success thus far. I'd expect the Ghana match to be the most viewed football game ever in the US, and then from there? Who knows.

As much as patronizing Euro-snobs (esp. the UK media) want to pat us on the head and make you think that absolutely no one Stateside knows what going on, it's simply not true. Sure, there are many people in the States who'd much rather watch NASCAR that the WC, but then again there are loads of people in the UK who'd rather watch darts than the NBA Finals. Interests vary, but it's hardly a case of no one paying attention. I'd say without a doubt a larger percentage of Americans follow football than people in the UK follow any American sport (NBA, NFL, MLB).

By the way, here's a funny clip from the Jon Stewart show...hehe:

Jon Stewart Debates the USA's World Cup Win with John Oliver