You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm in England, so all I know is what I've heard from home. You've got to understand, first of all, that while the interest level is never at all like it is in some other countries, it's far from the "No one even knows what's going on!" stuff they run in the UK papers. Listen -- many people don't follow closely, but many people do. It's a fecking humungous country. World Cups -- especially ones in which the USA does well ('94, '02, '10) -- have two effects: for people who normally follow football (and there are lots of those, despite what you'll read), it's business as usual; for people who don't normally follow football, US success generates interest like Olympics do. For example, swimming is a minority sport, but when guys like Phelps come along people -- lots of people -- pay attention. The TV ratings in '08 were huge. Success creates excitement and draws newbies in. But there are still lots of people who follow football/soccer -- it's just not an across-the-board level of obsession and fandom like you see in Europe, Mexico, South America, etc.

But from what I've heard from home, bars have been absolutely filled with people watching the matches, and the level of excitement and engagement is on par with 2002 (when the US made the quarters and got f*cked against Germany), the group matches of '06, and last summer's Confederations Cup. The people who normally follow the team have always been there, but more and more people are getting sucked in by the team's (relative) success thus far. I'd expect the Ghana match to be the most viewed football game ever in the US, and then from there? Who knows.

As much as patronizing Euro-snobs (esp. the UK media) want to pat us on the head and make you think that absolutely no one Stateside knows what going on, it's simply not true. Sure, there are many people in the States who'd much rather watch NASCAR that the WC, but then again there are loads of people in the UK who'd rather watch darts than the NBA Finals. Interests vary, but it's hardly a case of no one paying attention. I'd say without a doubt a larger percentage of Americans follow football than people in the UK follow any American sport (NBA, NFL, MLB).

By the way, here's a funny clip from the Jon Stewart show...hehe:

Jon Stewart Debates the USA's World Cup Win with John Oliver

Oh yeah, I've never totally bought into the notion that 'nobody knows what's going on' over in the States. Obviously football's not a big a sport as, say, baseball or American football, but it's a bit daft to say that nobody has a clue about it, and I agree, mate, there's a lot of snobbery from our side about perceptions of the sport over there. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's the most widely participated sport at youth level out there or something.

My mate's dad moved over to New York about 15 or so years ago and even he said he's been surprised at how he's noticed the interest levels grow in his time out there.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely growing (although people have been saying that since 1990, if not the 1920s, when football almost became a major pro sport). I can say I've definitely noticed a greater focus since last summer, and I'm sure social networking sites have played a large role in bringing fans in different parts of the country together. Will be interesting to see if ESPN and ABC (the TV networks with the WC rights) will continue to show PL and CL matches after this summer. If the ratings stay strong, I'd say they'd stick with it. Money talks.

By the way, check out Andrés Cantor's call of Donovan's goal....absolutely fantastic: AsÃ* narró Andrés Cantor el gol de Landon Donovan - Fanáticos

Guest Pistonbroke
USA and Uruguay have both got to be relishing a potential semi final

As are Ghana and South Korea. I'd say Uruguay have the best chance if their strikers keep form but nothing much between all four. Ghana shouldn't be ruled out, but they do lack goals.

It's definitely growing (although people have been saying that since 1990, if not the 1920s, when football almost became a major pro sport). I can say I've definitely noticed a greater focus since last summer, and I'm sure social networking sites have played a large role in bringing fans in different parts of the country together. Will be interesting to see if ESPN and ABC (the TV networks with the WC rights) will continue to show PL and CL matches after this summer. If the ratings stay strong, I'd say they'd stick with it. Money talks.

By the way, check out Andrés Cantor's call of Donovan's goal....absolutely fantastic: AsÃ* narró Andrés Cantor el gol de Landon Donovan - Fanáticos

it just continues to keep growing. the mainstream media will always report on it because of the size of the world cup as an event, but every wc cycle that passes more people get exposed and more people jump on board.

i've been in a few bars for the games but the people that are there at 9am for a game are die hards. 2006 was the same thing. i think the tv ratings are a better indicator of who is tuning in and if that turns some fans onto proper football then all the better.

what i think is the biggest statistic is that the US bought the most world cup tickets. FACT. (the fact is a joke...). i know expats etc are part of that number, but to see very large contingents of american fans at the games is showing that it keeps getting bigger.

it helps that the team is pretty good too, but fuck me, its a 14 hour flight to get to south africa, and it ain't like you go there for the tourism!

but like most events, after its over people will stop following it, though i think if we capture 5% of those who followed it this time it'll just keep getting bigger and bigger

Even now, a full day after the event, I still feel like someone needs to slap Donovan in his massive melodramatic face. That after-match interview was pretty much as bad as it gets in the self-obsessed and bizarre stakes. "It's been a long journey for ME" - Shut up Donovan you bad tool. You looked like some pathetic best supporting actress winner at the oscars!

Well done USA, I'm really happy for you. It's just a shame that Mariah Carey seems to be captaining you.

Yeah I thought that Donovan's interview was pretty self absorbed. At one point the interviewer asked him a question along the lines of "what did that goal mean to you" and I thought he's was gonna wheel out the old "it's a team effort" bit but he didn't, he went on about his amazing journey. Clint Dempsey wouldn't have done that.

By the way, nearly every US sports broadcast I've watched in the last three weeks have had mentions of the World Cup on them. ESPN are obviously all over it but even Fox commentators mention it in passing, they may not all understand it but they talk about it.

By the way, nearly every US sports broadcast I've watched in the last three weeks have had mentions of the World Cup on them. ESPN are obviously all over it but even Fox commentators mention it in passing, they may not all understand it but they talk about it.

No different to any other subject really.

As I see it, and I don't see very much, is there's a lot of sport pundits in the US who give their opinions of a range of sports and just can't see past football as a viable alternative to the NFL, NBA and MLB. They still see it as a game for kids, there's a few pundits who extol the virtues of footy but there are too many who see footy as a bit of girly sport compared the manliness of the NFL. The US needs more mainstream people who love the game, that'll sell it as much anything else.

As I see it, and I don't see very much, is there's a lot of sport pundits in the US who give their opinions of a range of sports and just can't see past football as a viable alternative to the NFL, NBA and MLB. They still see it as a game for kids, there's a few pundits who extol the virtues of footy but there are too many who see footy as a bit of girly sport compared the manliness of the NFL. The US needs more mainstream people who love the game, that'll sell it as much anything else.

Or they could do with football trying not to be a girly sport played by complete shithouses. I reckon that might help them think it's more manly.

I'm so tired of players rolling around at the hint of contact, it's happening two dozen times a game at this world cup. I so badly wanted Howard Webb to book that keeper when he was lying on the floor today. He knew he wasn't hurt but would find it hard to explain how he can be sure the player isn't in pain.

I'd just say to them, either get up or get treatment (meaning they have to leave the pitch). If they don't want treatment you demand the team re-start the game, prone player or not. If they go off you leave them there for fucking ages and don't call them back on. It'll soon teach them.

Just watched Alexi Lalas on ESPN talking about England thinking they're better than they are. He then goes on to say the moment of the tournament and the team that has captured the world's imagination is the US, steady on there, Alexi! Not really heeding your own words there.

Guest The Chimp

I was genuinely made up for the US, indeed it surprised me how happy I was. I did my MA dissertation on the NASL and looked at the history of the game in the US (second oldest professional sport there) and various theories as to why it never took off (American exceptionalism etc). I've found myself going from wanting the US to adopt the game to not really giving a monkeys, but the passion for the game by the US fans and the way the team has played has been a real highlight for me thus far. The Ghana game today is probably the game I've looked forward to most until now. Go USA!