You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who should be England's number 1?

Red Banjo

Who should it be?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should it be?

Since the mood has been lifted a bit by the arrival of the World Cup, lets continue the trend of Non-Liverpool related threads in an effort to continue the high spirits and stop the fury and hatred (at least for a while anyway)

Since apparently Capello has still, even on the eve of the game, to decide who should be between the sticks for England - lets have a debate.

Who would you give the gloves to?

Not James. They should make Warhol prints of that stupid 'I've cocked up again, never mind!' grin. Green and Hart seem pretty interchangeable. Maybe Green, just, for his experience, but better their limitations than James's inexplicable idiocy at crucial times.

Don't envy Capello on this one. Hart is probably the best goalkeeper of the 3 - he's had the best and the most consistent season but he's young, and that inexperience could cost them. James has the experience, but he also has the experience of cocking up at major tournaments. Green is pretty good, but for whatever reason he's just never convinced me. He'll go to Arsenal next season I reckon, which probably isn't a sign of a good goalkeeper!

Hart. The man in form.

James is alright but I think he's still calamitous its just not highlighted as much at a small club, massive doubts about his mental strength. Green seemed fine then had a horror of a season so give it to the man in form, got a few doubts about him aswell but he deserves the shot.

Green is a poor player although he has improved a lot this year but not enough, Joe Hart is doing fairly well but for me it has to be Jammo, he i most experienced, still has his flapping moment but theres no substitute for experience between the sticks and I don't think he's any more likely to make a high profile mistake than any of the other two. I'd rather have had Robinson that Green really as they are both about the same level except Robinson has the experience even if he has been turd for 3 years he has at least been in the past playing at a level Green is yet to attain. Can't fathom how he went so crap but seemed to have lost his head around the time he should have been making the England spot his own after our best keepers retired.

I blame Cudicini for this mess, he should have taken his chance but never seems to want to play footy at any level, 'No, you go ahead guys, I'm happy here in the reserves and would rather play there than week in week out or play for an international side', he's as English as John Barnes was.

But James should get the respect and I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get the nod from Capello unless he's been on his playstation again.

I have said it before, but England goalkeepers all seem to share the unfortunate trait of looking utterly confused on the pitch. Think about it. It is particularly evident in Robinson, Carson, Kirkland, Foster and Green. They seem to have a permanent gormless expression when they play. Perhaps that's why they end up playing in goal, because they give the appearance of not understanding the intricacies of pass and move.

Trivial issues aside, English goalkeepers appear to have exclusively based their training on shot-stopping, rather than including key aspects like area domination, communication and distribution. It's why the likes of Shay Given are revered too much. He's another who prefers to make saves rather than work with his defence to prevent the creation of chances.

Great chance for Hart to establish himself as no.1 for a long time. Bad, bad mistake by Green.

If I answered the poll before the game, I'd have said James. I think he is a good goalie and doesn't make many mistakes these days. But Hart is the best young english keeper and should claim the no.1 for years to come.

Joe Hart- forget experience the lad is a class act

anyone who says Green should be dropped for James due to the mistake is living in cloud cuckoo land, James is far more likely to do something similar despite most of the time being very good