You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He might have looked shot to you, but fact is he had an on-and-off season due to injuries. These things happen.

What worries me is that when we have a manager who can't spot class, talent and potential in his own squad, how on earth will he do in the open market? Oh, right...

That'll be the manager who bought him and had him for 5 seasons, who wanted to keep him after his best season for the club on the back of his worst season for the club who can't spot class will it?

Usually when a player arrives in the Summer of 2004 and then by the Summer of 2008 turns in their worst performances for the club, I wouldn't say it's beyond the realms of reason to think that time may be up and you've had the best of them is it?

All Xabi did in 2008/9 was respond to a massive kick up the arse, which he needed. And then having done what he was paid for, decides to fuck off to pastures new...and that is somehow the managers fault. Call me Mr. fucking Dim if you like, but I just can't reason how Xabi has become the standard bearer for all that is/was right with the Club while Benitez becomes this King Herod/Pontius Pilate type figure over the whole affair.

Like I said, plenty of legitimate sticks to beat the manager with, without resorting to revisionism based on your favourite poppets and your own agenda.

Jeez.... when does it stop.

Rafa staying get the fuck behind him; the yanks are the problem, not RAFA.

Tickets roughly £40 a pop watching average players, average cautious football, below average atmosphere because of the average cautious football in an average league position and below average ''cup runs''.

When exactly does the manager become a problem then in these above scenarios?

Tickets roughly £40 a pop watching average players, average cautious football, below average atmosphere because of the average cautious football in an average league position and below average ''cup runs''.

My reply is very simple, name me a manager in Liverpool's history over tha last 20 years that done better?

Therefore we are moving in the right direction.

My reply is very simple, name me a manager in Liverpool's history over tha last 20 years that done better?

Therefore we are moving in the right direction.

2nd to 7th and out of all the cup competitions as early as we possibly could be. Yeah it is clear we are moving in the right direction.

Even Souness didn't finish 7th.

Evans was sacked for 3rd and Houllier 4th, apart from that you are correct.

That'll be the manager who bought him and had him for 5 seasons, who wanted to keep him after his best season for the club on the back of his worst season for the club who can't spot class will it?

Usually when a player arrives in the Summer of 2004 and then by the Summer of 2008 turns in their worst performances for the club, I wouldn't say it's beyond the realms of reason to think that time may be up and you've had the best of them is it?

All Xabi did in 2008/9 was respond to a massive kick up the arse, which he needed. And then having done what he was paid for, decides to fuck off to pastures new...and that is somehow the managers fault. Call me Mr. fucking Dim if you like, but I just can't reason how Xabi has become the standard bearer for all that is/was right with the Club while Benitez becomes this King Herod/Pontius Pilate type figure over the whole affair.

Like I said, plenty of legitimate sticks to beat the manager with, without resorting to revisionism based on your favourite poppets and your own agenda.

You obviously have issues with Xabi if you think he was shit 07/08 when he was fit. He wasn't brilliant, but compare it with the shite his replacement (mighty Lucas) has been putting out this year - it's a whole new level of shit. Unfortunately for us and for Rafa his treatment of Xabi will mark the beginning of the end to his time in Liverpool, much like Houllier's transfers Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou.

Yeah, that is pretty much spot on.

Watching the 2010 version of Rafa Benitez's Liverpool is a pretty painful experience. BUT, that does need to be tempered with the knowledge that it hasn't always been like that, and it may not be like that again in the future.

Experience and the law of averages dictate that with no funding and a manager who is unlikely to change his mindset and philosophy, that isn't going to happen. The other side of the coin says that get Johnson, Aquilani, Gerrard and Torres fit, firing, playing together regularly and increasing their understanding as a team unit, that it is unlikely that it can ever be as bad as it was at times last season.

The stark reality is that Riera is still the best option we have on the left and unless Jovanovic turns out to be an inspired 'free' then things aren't going to change much.

We need a left back, left winger and a striker desperately and I don't see where the funds are coming from to improve on what we have. All we can look forward to again is a shuffling of the pack.

No, I actually don't as what you're saying is ludicrous. "Heading in the right direction."

I would fucking hate to see us take a wrong turn.

we had a poor season, starving the manager of a transfer kitty (Alonso cash doing a vanishing act), played it part, in last seasons events but hey..... blame the manager, not the owners, they are laughing there arses off off at us fans being divided, it takes the attention away from them.

:sniff:

we had a poor season, starving the manager of a transfer kitty (Alonso cash doing a vanishing act), played it part, in last seasons events but hey..... blame the manager, not the owners, they are laughing there arses off off at us fans being divided, it takes the attention away from them.

:sniff:

I will blame the manager. Cheers.

You obviously have issues with Xabi if you think he was shit 07/08 when he was fit. He wasn't brilliant, but compare it with the shite his replacement (mighty Lucas) has been putting out this year - it's a whole new level of shit. Unfortunately for us and for Rafa his treatment of Xabi will mark the beginning of the end to his time in Liverpool, much like Houllier's transfers Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou.

I'd say that I watched every game that Alonso played in the 2007/8 season and my overriding opinion of the time was that selling him would be no bad thing. I have no issues with Xabi Alonso, I liked the guy then and still do now.

The threat of selling Xabi gave him a massive kick up the arse and he performed to the best of his abilities in 2008/9 and had an outstanding season, after which the manager recognised he was still a big cog in the wheel and wanted to keep him. How is this shit treatment? Benitez is paid to make those decisions, and Alonso is paid to turn up for Liverpool Football Club, which in my view, and that of the Manager he didn't do in 2007/8. Benitez reviewed his decision in 2009, rightly so and then Xabi handed in a transfer request. I don't see where the problem is.

Benitez thought he was selling a player who was on the slide in 2008, Xabi proved him wrong, Rafa recognised this and changed his position....how is he a cunt and where was the shit treatment? I thought no player was bigger than the Club? Isn't that the mantra we all trot out on a daily basis?

We have been here before nobody is saying the Americans aren't the biggest problem but that doesn't mean the rest of the world stops because of that.

Evans team we seriously challenged for it in 96-97 but blew it time and time again with some sub standard home performances when it was there for us to take and ended up 4th on the last day of the season despite being in the top 2 pretty much all season. We had a distant 3rd behind Arsenal in 97-98. He was gone.

Houlliers team we seriously challenged for it in 01-02 when we went on a great run of form after Christmas but we blew it with some sub standard home performances we were up against a rampant Arsenal team who were worthy Double Winners. We had a distant 5th in 02-03 (still won a trophy though) and a very distant 4th in 03-04. He was gone.

Rafas team we seriously challenged for the title in 08-09 but we blew it with some sub standard home performances but played some great football from March onwards which let us back in the frame after letting a jet-lagged United off the hook before Christmas. We finished a very distant 7th a year later. He is....still here.

Why should the goalposts be shifted for Rafa then when other managers were sacked for higher league finishes?

I'd say that I watched every game that Alonso played in the 2007/8 season and my overriding opinion of the time was that selling him would be no bad thing. I have no issues with Xabi Alonso, I liked the guy then and still do now.

The threat of selling Xabi gave him a massive kick up the arse and he performed to the best of his abilities in 2008/9 and had an outstanding season, after which the manager recognised he was still a big cog in the wheel and wanted to keep him. How is this shit treatment? Benitez is paid to make those decisions, and Alonso is paid to turn up for Liverpool Football Club, which in my view, and that of the Manager he didn't do in 2007/8. Benitez reviewed his decision in 2009, rightly so and then Xabi handed in a transfer request. I don't see where the problem is.

Benitez thought he was selling a player who was on the slide in 2008, Xabi proved him wrong, Rafa recognised this and changed his position....how is he a cunt and where was the shit treatment? I thought no player was bigger than the Club? Isn't that the mantra we all trot out on a daily basis?

This would be great if players were chess pieces rather than human beings as Rafa seems to think.

This would be great if players were chess pieces rather than human beings as Rafa seems to think.

The point remains, as I am now tired of typing. Xabi Alonso handed in a transfer request and chose to leave Liverpool. That is his prerogative.

Rafa Benitez thought Xabi Alonso was on the slide in 2007/8 and wanted to sell him...as his prerogative as those are the decisions he gets paid for by virtue of being the manager.

Xabi Alonso did what he was supposed to in 2008/9 after getting a big wake up call, he then decides to leave for pastures new, Rafa sees Alonso is back to his best and wants to keep him. Life and football is a self correcting science.

So, I'll ask again, where is the shit treatment and how is the manager a cunt because of it?

We have been here before nobody is saying the Americans aren't the biggest problem but that doesn't mean the rest of the world stops because of that.

Evans team we seriously challenged for it in 96-97 but blew it time and time again with some sub standard home performances when it was there for us to take and ended up 4th on the last day of the season despite being in the top 2 pretty much all season. We had a distant 3rd behind Arsenal in 97-98. He was gone.

Houlliers team we seriously challenged for it in 01-02 when we went on a great run of form after Christmas but we blew it with some sub standard home performances we were up against a rampant Arsenal team who were worthy Double Winners. We had a distant 5th in 02-03 (still won a trophy though) and a very distant 4th in 03-04. He was gone.

Rafas team we seriously challenged for the title in 08-09 but we blew it with some sub standard home performances but played some great football from March onwards which let us back in the frame after letting a jet-lagged United off the hook before Christmas. We finished a very distant 7th a year later. He is....still here.

Why should the goalposts be shifted for Rafa then when other managers were sacked for higher league finishes?

Was that reply to me John, in response to my reply to you?

If so, I agree with everything you said in this post and the first one I replied to earlier on the page.

You'll get no argument from me on either as they are based on evidence and logic, and your points can't be faulted.

Was that reply to me John, in response to my reply to you?

If so, I agree with everything you said in this post and the first one I replied to earlier on the page.

You'll get no argument from me on either as they are based on evidence and logic, and your points can't be faulted.

Haha are you taking the piss ;-)

It was just a general response mate really.

I think taking one season in isloation is a bit of a slippery slope, next it'll be month by month, a new manager will come in and if his october isn't as good as his september it'll be time for him to go as he has declined.

Well considering Rafa had a poor August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May then you could have a point there.

I think taking one season in isloation is a bit of a slippery slope, next it'll be month by month, a new manager will come in and if his october isn't as good as his september it'll be time for him to go as he has declined.

Take it over 6 seasons then, 4th to 7th.