You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

Final curtain always on the cards with Rafael Benítez doing it his way | Premier League - Times Online

Men in the frame

Kenny Dalglish A Liverpool legend on the field and in the dugout. Won the Double in his first season as player-manager, with two more league titles and an FA Cup to follow, then won another league title with Blackburn Rovers. Less successful with Newcastle United and Celtic, he returned to an ambassadorial role at Anfield last year.

Roy Hodgson Took Fulham to the Europa League final this season with a team assembled on a limited budget, which will appeal to the Anfield owners. Vastly experienced and well connected in the European arena, he has managed big clubs such as Inter Milan as well as international sides.

Mark Hughes Learnt his trade as manager with Wales and Blackburn, where he built a combative team who were difficult to beat. Struggled to live up to expectations with Manchester City and his past as a Manchester United player may count against him, but is known to have met Liverpool representatives when they played Benfica in Lisbon. Plus, he is available and has a point to prove.

Martin O’Neill The Aston Villa manager ticks many boxes — with ambition, passion and big-club experience — and after managing Celtic, he would feel the pressure of life at Anfield less than most. On the other hand, he has spent big money without delivering trophies at Villa Park and the ownership situation at Liverpool would not appeal to him.

Guus Hiddink The Dutchman made an excellent impression when he took temporary charge of Chelsea in the second half of last season and has Holland and Real Madrid on his CV. However, he failed in his attempt to take Russia to the World Cup finals. In any case, he has taken up a position as the Turkey coach and would be reluctant to break his agreement with their FA.

Not anymore.

Anyway what's his reason to trade playing with his grand children on the beach for a daft place in Northwest England and having to answer to cretins and over demanding fans?

Why not? He won the world cup with Italy in 2006, the only coach in history to win the top prize in both club and international football.

Mcleish and O'neil are basicly the same manager.

They play defensive football, play direct, use a target man with wingers.

They'll both go for British players, niether have any real experience at the business end of a top league and they have both been a bit tactically naive to date.

Sounds tailor made to make us successful domestically even though it won't be pretty.

Oh, and I can't stand either cunt. Ones up Cloughs arse and the other is constantly hanging out of Ferguson. No ta

I don't understand why McLeish and O'Neill are fellated upon by so many whilst Hodgson is dismissed. None are "big guns" but Hodgson is A) Less cuntly than either and B) While hardly cavalier, generally offers a less ghastly brand of football with fewer resources at his disposal.

Mark Hughes would be my nightmare appointment. Such an arrival would probably push me into actively screaming for his dismissal before he'd helmed a single game. Awful, awful manager, shit football and an ex-Manc and Evertonian.

Honestly, I'd MUCH rather Phil Brown, because at least some amusement could be derived from the perma-tanned, Hollywood toothed and pink cardiganed crooner prancing ridiculously on the touchline. He'd take us into oblivion kicking and screaming whereas dour 'Sparkless' Hughes would render any sane fan comatose as we sunk discreetly into mid-table obscurity. He'd instantly knock about 200m off of the club's value, leaving Hicks and Gillett more entrenched than ever.

I would also welcome whoever ends up buying the club barring Kenny Dalglish from Anfield forever for what would be tantamount to a terrible crime in assisting in the installation of Hughes.

Even Iain Dowie would be better, if only for his hideous visage. Joint manager with Beardsley?

Kenny aside, not one man on that list has the pedigree to be Liverpool manager. Dreading who we'll get, really dreading his limited contractual power and dreading his undoubted submissiveness to the men who have given him the job of his life.

Football. Fuck off.

Final curtain always on the cards with Rafael Benítez doing it his way | Premier League - Times Online

Men in the frame

Kenny Dalglish A Liverpool legend on the field and in the dugout. Won the Double in his first season as player-manager, with two more league titles and an FA Cup to follow, then won another league title with Blackburn Rovers. Less successful with Newcastle United and Celtic, he returned to an ambassadorial role at Anfield last year.

Roy Hodgson Took Fulham to the Europa League final this season with a team assembled on a limited budget, which will appeal to the Anfield owners. Vastly experienced and well connected in the European arena, he has managed big clubs such as Inter Milan as well as international sides.

Mark Hughes Learnt his trade as manager with Wales and Blackburn, where he built a combative team who were difficult to beat. Struggled to live up to expectations with Manchester City and his past as a Manchester United player may count against him, but is known to have met Liverpool representatives when they played Benfica in Lisbon. Plus, he is available and has a point to prove.

Martin O’Neill The Aston Villa manager ticks many boxes — with ambition, passion and big-club experience — and after managing Celtic, he would feel the pressure of life at Anfield less than most. On the other hand, he has spent big money without delivering trophies at Villa Park and the ownership situation at Liverpool would not appeal to him.

Guus Hiddink The Dutchman made an excellent impression when he took temporary charge of Chelsea in the second half of last season and has Holland and Real Madrid on his CV. However, he failed in his attempt to take Russia to the World Cup finals. In any case, he has taken up a position as the Turkey coach and would be reluctant to break his agreement with their FA.

I'm pretty okay with this shortlist to be honest. I think a manager who knows the English league would be preferable and those are just about the ones that are realistic to get.

I would'nt mind Pellegrini, he got Madrid only 2nd but he got something like 94 pts in his 1st and only season with them. I can see Hodgson thinking about taking it whilst Hiddick is with Turkey now i think.

Some dickhead fan on SSN wrote in that Allaardyce is a good pick.

Guest PurpleNose
Seems that Kenny doesn't want it.

It looks like Sammy Lee as caretaker, Purslow selling/buying players and Purslow being advised by Kenny on the next manager.

Reina as caretaker. He can be in charge of selling/buying players, and can dispose of Purslow however he sees fit.

I would'nt mind Pellegrini, he got Madrid only 2nd but he got something like 94 pts in his 1st and only season with them. I can see Hodgson thinking about taking it whilst Hiddick is with Turkey now i think.

Pellegrini would be my choice.

But only if he can speak English.

Where's the imagination on this one? It's as if the press are trying to push this job in a very British direction, knowing that it would be a certain failure. But they wouldn't do that would they.

Hodgson, Hughes and O'Neill, apart from being rubbish, already bring with them a shit load of baggage and added pressure. Honestly, i'd rather take the gamble on Owen Coyle than waste our time with known quantities of averageness.

Guest PurpleNose
Pellegrini would be my choice.

But only if he can speak English.

Tried to find out using the method of google, without success. He is Chilean so its likely he'll speak a bit.