You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milan Jovanovic offered 3 year deal

WaltonRed

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool offer three-year deal to Milan Jovanovic of Standard Liège | Football | guardian.co.uk

Liverpool offer three-year deal to Milan Jovanovic of Standard Liège• Serbia striker out of contract in the summer

• Marouane Chamakh also target for pre-contract agreement

Buzz up!

Digg it

Andy Hunter guardian.co.uk, Sunday 24 January 2010 23.05 GMT Article history

Liverpool are hoping to beat Birmingham City to the signing of Milan Jovanovic. Photograph: John Thys/AFP/Getty Images

Liverpool have offered Milan Jovanovic a three-year contract at Anfield as they attempt to beat several Premier League rivals to the signature of the Standard Liège striker.

The Serbia international is out of contract this summer and is seeking a lucrative move abroad, a situation that has alerted Birmingham City and Everton, too, to his availability. Alex McLeish *reaffirmed his intention to sign a striker after Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round win at Goodison Park and, backed by the new owner Carson Yeung's promise of a £40m January transfer kitty, may tempt Liège to cash in on the 28-year-old this month.

Liverpool have attempted to ward off rival interest by offering Jovanovic a free transfer and personal terms of about £10m over three years. Rafael Benítez cannot compete with Birmingham in the transfer market this month but hopes his club's standing and the possibility of Champions League football next season may sway the former Shakhtar Donetsk and Lokomotiv Moscow forward towards Anfield.

Jovanovic is eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement now and Anfield officials have also been in discussions with Bordeaux's Marouane Chamakh about a similar deal. The club are keen to remedy this season's failure to provide adequate striking cover for Fernando Torres. Reports at the weekend claimed Jovanovic, who has scored nine goals in 23 appearances for Serbia, is tempted by Liverpool but wary of becoming only a bit-part player under Benítez.

Liverpool's co-owner Tom Hicks, meanwhile, has agreed to sell his majority shareholding in the Texas Rangers baseball team but doubts remain over whether the American will reinvest the funds in the Merseyside club. Hicks is expected to receive close to $500m (£350m) for the franchise, which he has owned through Hicks Sports Group since 1998, from a consortium headed by the Pittsburgh-based attorney Chuck Greenberg and the legendary former Rangers pitcher Nolan Ryan

Like it or not the clearest indication yet that LFC are planning for life with Rafa next season. Time will tell if Rafa is planning for life with LFC next season

Rafa's denied that we've done a deal: I guess there's always the chance the custodians will refuse to ratify it?

He did`nt deny it, did he? did`nt he just say that he would`nt talk about it before it`s completed?? It wont be compledted until the 1st of July.

This will be a terrible signing If it comes off, Your 28 playing for Standard Liege and on a free for a reason.

Your shit.

Whilst im not exactly excited about the signing myself Al i don't think it was a case of his club wanting to leave but more him refusing a new contract like McManaman did to us.

Only time will tell how good he turns out to be. Seems to be a decent player, certainly of a much better pedigree than our last two summer bosman signings. As long as he's on a relatively low wage, then it's definitely a risk worth taking as he's got to be better than what we already have.

Only time will tell how good he turns out to be. Seems to be a decent player, certainly of a much better pedigree than our last two summer bosman signings. As long as he's on a relatively low wage, then it's definitely a risk worth taking as he's got to be better than what we already have.

That does not fill me with much hope Woo.

No I'm saying he is a 28 year old striker playing for Standard Liege who I would think hardly anybody has heard of, and Liverpool are looking at signing him.

If we don't sign him do you believe a AC Milan,Juventus,Chelsea,Man Utd,Barcelona,Real Madrid will?

He will come with a decent signing on fee(degan got £2m) and will be on a great wage(voronin on 50k).

I'd leave it myself and use that money elsewhere, and Let Nathan Eccleston take the role Rafa would have ear marked for him.

I believe AC Milan and Juventus were turned down!

You were suggesting Kris Boyd a couple of weeks ago, and now you are criticising this signing.

Eccleston is not ready to be second choice, and we don't (probably won't) have 10 million to go and buy cover so it makes perfect sense.