You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milan Jovanovic offered 3 year deal

WaltonRed

Liverpool offer three-year deal to Milan Jovanovic of Standard Liège | Football | guardian.co.uk

Liverpool offer three-year deal to Milan Jovanovic of Standard Liège• Serbia striker out of contract in the summer

• Marouane Chamakh also target for pre-contract agreement

Buzz up!

Digg it

Andy Hunter guardian.co.uk, Sunday 24 January 2010 23.05 GMT Article history

Liverpool are hoping to beat Birmingham City to the signing of Milan Jovanovic. Photograph: John Thys/AFP/Getty Images

Liverpool have offered Milan Jovanovic a three-year contract at Anfield as they attempt to beat several Premier League rivals to the signature of the Standard Liège striker.

The Serbia international is out of contract this summer and is seeking a lucrative move abroad, a situation that has alerted Birmingham City and Everton, too, to his availability. Alex McLeish *reaffirmed his intention to sign a striker after Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round win at Goodison Park and, backed by the new owner Carson Yeung's promise of a £40m January transfer kitty, may tempt Liège to cash in on the 28-year-old this month.

Liverpool have attempted to ward off rival interest by offering Jovanovic a free transfer and personal terms of about £10m over three years. Rafael Benítez cannot compete with Birmingham in the transfer market this month but hopes his club's standing and the possibility of Champions League football next season may sway the former Shakhtar Donetsk and Lokomotiv Moscow forward towards Anfield.

Jovanovic is eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement now and Anfield officials have also been in discussions with Bordeaux's Marouane Chamakh about a similar deal. The club are keen to remedy this season's failure to provide adequate striking cover for Fernando Torres. Reports at the weekend claimed Jovanovic, who has scored nine goals in 23 appearances for Serbia, is tempted by Liverpool but wary of becoming only a bit-part player under Benítez.

Liverpool's co-owner Tom Hicks, meanwhile, has agreed to sell his majority shareholding in the Texas Rangers baseball team but doubts remain over whether the American will reinvest the funds in the Merseyside club. Hicks is expected to receive close to $500m (£350m) for the franchise, which he has owned through Hicks Sports Group since 1998, from a consortium headed by the Pittsburgh-based attorney Chuck Greenberg and the legendary former Rangers pitcher Nolan Ryan

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't an insult to Milan or anything but why did they call him a 'former Shakhtar Donetsk and Lokomotiv Moscow forward'? He was there when he was quite young, and he never played. He had a few appearances(like 5) and then was sold to Lokomotiv... where he played even less, before moving to Liege, where he played and did well? Why not just call him 'the Liege Forward?'

Its not really important, but it just struck me as odd.

edit: A strikeforce of Torres, Chamakh, and Jovanovic should leave us pretty well covered.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Rafael Benítez cannot compete with Birmingham in the transfer market this month

I'm trying to think of something appropriate to say to this. I think a big sigh will be about as succinct as I can go.

*sighhhhh*

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Liverpool FC - News - Liverpool FC offer Standard Liege striker Milan Jovanovic a move to Anfield

LIVERPOOL have offered Milan Jovanovic the opportunity to move to Anfield at the end of the season.

The Standard Liege striker is out of contract this summer and the Reds have put together a package that would see Jovanovic sign a three-year deal.

Jovanovic is high on Rafa Benitez’s wanted list and it is understood the Serbian international would jump at the chance to play for Liverpool.

However, Jovanovic – who is a target for a number of Europe’s top clubs, including AC Milan – is seeking some assurances before he makes his next move.

He is seeking indications about Benitez’s long-term future and will only commit to joining the Reds if he knows the Spaniard will be manager next season.

A powerful forward who has scored an impressive 52 goals in 107 appearances for the crack Belgian side, Jovanovic will play a key role for Serbia at the World Cup this summer.

Liverpool also continue to remain in the hunt for Marouane Chamakh, Bordeaux’s highly-rated striker, who – like Jovanovic – is available on a free transfer in June.

With just seven days remaining of the transfer window, Benitez is continuing to scour the market for cover at right-back, given Glen Johnson’s continued absence.

But options are few and far between and it is looking increasingly likely that Maxi Rodriguez will remain Benitez’s only January purchase.

Only time will tell if he parts with any more of his squad – Ryan Babel has again been linked with a move away – but one man who won’t be leaving is Yossi Benayoun.

The Israeli midfielder, who is currently out with broken ribs, is a £7m target for Dynamo Moscow but Benitez has no intention of selling one of his most influential players.

Meanwhile, Martin Skrtel is confident Liverpool are now in pole position to claim a Champions League place. Full story here.

Great. 28 years old and haven't done anything of note in the game. I sincerely hope that we don't sign him.

Another Voronin is just about the last thing this club needs.

What worries me even more than signing a new Voronin... Is that these type of players is all that we can afford....

Frightening.

What worries me even more than signing a new Voronin... Is that these type of players is all that we can afford....

Frightening.

If that is the case we shouldn't sign anybody and just let Pacheco, Dalle Valle, Amoo and Eccleston fill in. At least there's a chance that one or more of them will improve to become top class. Without having seen Jovanovic play, his career so far tells me that he will never become that.

The definition of an idiot is someone who keeps repeating the same mistakes. If Rafa is to yet again spend 30.000+ pounds a week on a journey man who'll prove impossible to move on, I'm afraid he falls in that bracket.

Boring. Can we bring in some proven quality please? No more Voronins and Degens. Freebies are free because they're usually crap. Obviously there are a few exceptions to this... but generally freebies who I've never heard of and have only played in mediocre leagues are usually crap and we should be aiming to sign better calibre players.

We aren't exactly trailblazing when it comes to Bosmans.

After watching Pandev for Inter last night I have to agree. It's not certain in any way that we could get him, but it is players of that standard (like Joke Hole) we should be after on freebies.

There's really no reason to lower our standards so much just because the player is cheap/free. Liverpool could also get me on a free transfer and I'd go for much lower wages than 30.000. That doesn't mean Rafa should sign me. Although it would be pretty ace.

Even if we had unlimited funds bringing in experienced bosmans in to bolster the squad is always good business, a few notable exceptions accepted. If Torres ever gets fully fit he's going to start the vast majority of games, so it's unlikely David Villa is going to come and play second fiddle is it.

This sneering at free transfers and unknown names before we've even seen them play is nothing more than gloryhunter snobbery.