You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NFL Discussion and Fantasy League thread

odris

Same, only really dawned on me this week when keeping an eye on the injury reports that the season is actually here.

Think it'll be another shootout tonight, with the depleted Broncos pass rush giving us just enough of a chance to stay in it. Our D will be much improved on last year, but there are so many new faces there that it's unfair to expect them all the click straight away, especially against the best offense in the league. Art Jones and Brandon Williams are both out for us, which is a blow as the depth on our D-line with those two fit is immense, and gives us an interior pass rush as well as Doom and Sizzle on the edges.

If there wasn't so much uncertainty surrounding our receiving (Torrey excluded) then I'd be much more confident than I am. But until someone steps up opposite him - I think eventually that guy is Marlon Brown - and stops teams from doubling up on him then it's going to negate how effective he can be. Dickson has to step up at TE in Pitta's absence as we can't expect Stokley and Clark to be the guys that work the middle of the field as effectively as Pitta and Boldin did at this stage in their careers.

I like us at +7.5, but think the Broncos will edge it.

The Ravens have done well in the offseason, got younger in the defense aswell, not surprising with Ozzie in charge.Im unsure about the offense personaly as I see no go to receiver.There issue will be trying to cover all three Broncos WR and TE Julius Thomas who I think will have a really good season.Be interesting to see who starts and who gets the most work out the Bronco runningbacks.

Cant wait for Sunday and the chance to out Atlanta back in its place.

The Ravens have done well in the offseason, got younger in the defense aswell, not surprising with Ozzie in charge.Im unsure about the offense personaly as I see no go to receiver.There issue will be trying to cover all three Broncos WR and TE Julius Thomas who I think will have a really good season.Be interesting to see who starts and who gets the most work out the Bronco runningbacks.

Torrey can be that #1 receiver; he's much more than just a deep threat, and he'll prove that this year. But he needs help. Jones doesn't have the talent to be a #2, and Harbs said he only wants him to play like 40 snaps a game so as to keep him fresh for his kick returning duties. Stokley's going to be the slot guy in three receiver sets, so it's down to one of Mellette, Brown and Thompson to step up. Thompson sprained his foot in the first preseason game and we don't know when he'll be back, but Brown and Flacco seem to have a real rapport, and I think he emerges as the #2 guy over the course of the season.

Obviously Peyton can do it all, but he'll pick on Jimmy Smith in the secondary tonight - he's the undisputed weak link back there. Hopefully Webb is ready to play the whole game as Smith won't start otherwise, but even still, when we go in to the nickel and Graham moves inside, Smith is gonna get bullied by Decker.

Bold predictions for the season....

AFC East - New England (11-5) - They'll struggle a little offensively, and wouldn't be surprised to see them become more of a running team with a strong defence. That formula could really pay off in the winter (especially with a cold, outdoor super bowl)

AFC South - Houston (12-4) - No reason they can't keep going in a relatively weak division

AFC Central - Cincinnati (10-6) - Everyone's darkhorse pick in a tight division, but I think they win based on youth and talent. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will both struggle with age and inexperience.

AFC West - Denver (13-3) - Best team in the AFC (with Vaughn Miller).

NFC East - Dallas (11-5) - Cowboys finally put it all together, and ride Tony Romo and a little luck to a division championship. Vick and RG3 do not finish the season.

NFC South - Atlanta (12-4) - Really tough not to pick the Saints, but then I remember the defence...and Rob Ryan. The Falcons have a great offense, and a defence that is good enough.

NFC Central - Green Bay (12-4) - This division is not that close, really. I Expect the Packers to have a much improved run game, which will make them a lot like Atlanta, but better.

NFC West - San Francisco (11-5) - The only thing I dislike about the 49ers is the coach. John is so much cooler than big brother Jim. I think Seattle does way too much talking for a team that hasn't won anything. The only thing I like about the Seadogs is RW1, who is way better than RG3.

Seattle and New Orleans get the NFC wildcards. Baltimore and Indy in the AFC.

NFC Championship features Seattle vs San Francisco

AFC Championship will be Denver and New England

Superbowl - San Francisco beats Denver with Peyton throwing three picks and choking in the playoffs again (a la John Elway).

Adrian Peterson will get 2100 yards. DeMarcus Ware 25 sacks.

New York and Oakland will be the two worst teams, and Rex will be gone by mid-season.

EJ Manuel will be fine, but Geno Smith will be so bad he'll never start another NFL game after this season.

I'm going to let that slide Neko and counter with this, surely PFM is now at the point of his career where he's more likely to get a championship like Elway did in his last two years when he won two titles.

But he choked last year against Baltimore ?

He deserves a second more than Elway does, so I'm rooting for him.

Rams to finish over .500, Bradford will have his best year so far and Zuerlein will kick a 65 yard field goal. You heard it here first.

Good call - he could easily break the record this year. Rams are good, just not that good (yet). Big year for Bradford though.

I'm going to let that slide Neko and counter with this, surely PFM is now at the point of his career where he's more likely to get a championship like Elway did in his last two years when he won two titles.

I like Denver tonight, by the way.

42-24 (I like symmetry)

The Ravens are going to struggle defensively this year.

The Ravens are going to struggle defensively this year.

We struggled massively on D last year. It'll be a much improved unit this year, just maybe not straight away.

Edited by Woo

But he choked last year against Baltimore ?

He deserves a second more than Elway does, so I'm rooting for him.

Good call - he could easily break the record this year. Rams are good, just not that good (yet). Big year for Bradford though.

The final turnover was his but realistically the team choked way before. Like the team did against Jacksonville in '96.

Stephen-Colbert-I-Told-You-So.gif