You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Landon Donovan

Diddyman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He might not be the answer on the pitch, but think how many shirts we would sell in America!

Probably many, many fewer than you think.

He's definitely not good enough for a top 4 side in the PL, but he'd be a major contributor on any other PL team. That's my opinion after watching him play for the US for almost 8 years, and I'll probably get slated for it, but that's what I think. Solid passer, good finisher, creative as any player the USA has had in many years, doesn't get phased easily, and will have played in 3 World Cups next summer. His stint at Bayern was destined to turn out badly...I don't use a few weeks at a club in turmoil as a good measure of a player.

I'd like to see him play in Spain, but wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a a PL team like Everton get him on the pitch.

My mate's uncle is the cousin of an estate agent who spoke to the agent of a famous USA football player who was looking for a house in the Formby area.

COINCIDENCE OR CONSPIRICY?!

Nah, he's getting that house we bought/built in West Wirral for Zidane. I think the club are sick of waiting for Zidane to arrive. Donovan would be a fitting replacement.

Whilst we're on the subject of Americans who haven't quite lived up to the hype, Whats happened to Freddy Adu?

According to my version of football manager he should be the second most expensive player in the world in 5 years time and playing for Barcelona via Valencia.

Loaned by Benfica to Monaco this season. Never gets any minutes with his club or national team sides, even though he's probably the most creative player on the USA squad. It's an enigma why he doesn't at least get more minutes (to me). He's still young, though.

His hype was the result of the US (and international) media latching onto a young kid who showed a lot of promise. Plus he looks like Pele.

The Patriotism of the Yanks confuses the fuck out of me.

I'm Irish and I have nothing but a fleeting interest in the Irish national team and can accept they are shite. I stumbled across an American "Soccer" Forum today during the game and they're all slating Rossi. If I was given the choice between Italy or the USA I know which one I'd pick. The U.S. are shite yet they were all talking like they were worldbeaters.

I'm Irish and I have nothing but a fleeting interest in the Irish national team and can accept they are shite. I stumbled across an American "Soccer" Forum today during the game and they're all slating Rossi. If I was given the choice between Italy or the USA I know which one I'd pick. The U.S. are shite yet they were all talking like they were worldbeaters.

They are....its just that nobody outside them knows about it? :whistle:

Maybe you were different, but every Irish LFC fan on the internet was clamoring on and on about Keane for months after we sold him. You Irish are way worse than us.

And Rossi is a class a fuckin guido, theyre a pest here in the NY area. Think a chav who earns enough money at his lifeguard job or his family's overpriced italian restaurant to spend all of his free time in tanning salons and clubs, dressed in the latest eurotrash clothes and with enough hair gel to make ronaldo look modest.

I suppose the people who follow the US team just want their team to do well. What's wrong with that? Is that patriotism or a rooting interest? Nobody is under the delusion that they are "worldbeaters," although the team was the only one to take points off of Italy in the 2006 WC (a 1-1 draw), and were leading Italy 1-0 last night with 10 men. In the past 5 World Cups, England has made 2 quarterfinals, while the US has made 1. And yet it is perfectly okay to consider England a world contender? I'm sick of seeing Rooney's ugly face on Sky, the "newspapers," etc. whenever the team demolishes Kazakhstan and Andorra.

And as for Rossi, people have sour grapes toward him because his family moved to the US for greater opportunity, the US Soccer Federation nurtured him through the youth ranks, and he goes off at the drop of a hat to Italy. Plus he comes off as a little spoiled punk. Here's an interview with him. Remember, he lived in the USA for 14 years of his life; now you'd think he learned English a year ago.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBFfpf243XY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBFfpf243XY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

And as for Rossi, people have sour grapes toward him because his family moved to the US for greater opportunity, the US Soccer Federation nurtured him through the youth ranks, and he goes off at the drop of a hat to Italy. Plus he comes off as a little spoiled punk. Here's an interview with him. Remember, he lived in the USA for 14 years of his life; now you'd think he learned English a year ago.

That little shit, he's a former Manc as well.