You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Change one result in Liverpool's history....

Upton74

A lot of the results were before my time. However, the treble in 1977 would have been a fantastic achievement.

In recent times:

1) Athens 2007. Horrendous. It was a muggy, warm, horrible day, there was a horrible atmosphere, I barely got into the ground despite having a legitimate ticket, we battered Milan and got caught out by 2 goals totally against the run of play, I had to sleep in the airport and got back to Kavos 24 hours after the full time whistle. Horrendous. I know we used all our luck up in Istanbul, but that sticks in the throat. I am 100% convinced that in years to come, we'll be awarded that European cup, because the referee was, as far as I could see, as crooked as they come.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal 89 - even now I still don't accept what happened.

Can't believe the ref didn't blow as Dixon cleared it upfield - after everything the team/supporters had been through - the very least he could have done was blow early. Also, Kevin Richardson pretending he was injured when he wasn't - and there's the 'dodgy' injury time.

Finished level on points, same goal difference, and conceded less.......

...and did Alan Smith touch it???

Good topic this. I'd endorse all of the above as really hard to deal with. In terms of our legacy, I would have to agree with those that have put forward the 77 cup final defeat. Arsenal 89 really hurt too.

Another one for the mix....the CL defeat against Bayer Leverkusen in 2002 broke me. First decent challenge in the big one since Heysel...an ostensibly lucky draw and the prospect of the beating the scum in the semi. Throughout the tie, I was totally confident we would do it...confidence dipped when they went 3-1 up over there (3-2 on aggregate) but still, I thought we had it in us to do it. Jari steps up with a piece of magic and I'm in dreamland. Still hugging and celebrating when the unthinkable happens...

I remember just staring at the telly..it was like a nightmare.

Would we have won it that year? Probably not, Madrid were better than us, as were United, but in terms of a negative rollercoaster, that one still sits there strong.

Some good shouts on here.

I'm going to restrict my choice of one result to change to the ones that primarily had affects on the pitch - tempting as it is to imagine a world in which the disasters had never happened.

I'm also going to rule out the semi-finals that we lost, as these depend on one more result also going our way.

I can't get too excited about the "world club cup" either. I mean - seriously? It's just a mid-season Charity Shield at an inconvenient venue. It'd be nice to win - as would every game we play - but I wouldn't call it a major trophy. (It's the kind of pot you get for beating LDU, for fuck's sake!)

I think the defeat in the 77 FA Cup added an extra layer of glory to what happened 4 days later. Similarly, the painful manner of the defeat to the Goons in 89 seems, in hindsight, appropriate. (I can't explain why and I don't expect anyone to agree with me here).

So my choice is the 66 ECWC Final. Shanks deserved more than one European trophy. We will never again have the chance to complete the set.

My immediate thought was the QF of the cup in 89. But then the lows and the knocks are what make you appreciate the highs so I'm not sure if I'd tamper with that.

Outside of that I'd go for Athens; winning it twice in three years would have been a massive thing to do.

Good Topic - My 2 MAIN Choices are unusual ones but there you go - BOTH would have given us another league title each and I think at least one of them may have changed the course of our modern history since 1991.

My First Choice is the Game we drew 0 - 0 with Arsenal at Highbury right at the end of the 1971/72 season. Why? Simply put because if we'd won that game, we'd have won that league and given Shankly's first (and best) team one more League Title before he had to break it up. We actually DID score in that game but it was offside and as a result, we dropped to Third, Leeds (who lost that day elsewhere) fell to second and Derby County (of all teams) under Brian Clough became Champions by default whilst lying on a beach in Spain somewhere.

My second choice also involves the Gunners and a game that to be honest, I think was the REAL beginning of our downfall post 1990; In the 1990/1991 season we went to Highbury unbeaten just after they'd been whacked 2 - 6 at home by Man U and we were top of the league with a 6 point lead that would have been 9 had we won. Instead? Kenny Dalglish played a side full of defenders, we didn't even try and got battered 0 - 3. I think if we'd won that game we WOULD have won the 1991 title despite Arsenal's fantastic (1 loss all season) run and it MAY have persuaded Souness to keep on a lot of our older and great players that he sold to soon and which by doing he ruined our title-winning framework for the 90's and beyond. That game started the rot and the return match (which led to our first home loss of the 90's thanks to Paul bloody Merson of all people in a game where we PULVERISED Arsenal for no reward) confirmed it. But THIS was the game that started it all going wrong for us -in December 1990 - Change the result to an LFC win and with a 9 point lead at Christmas and a squad full of title winners? We wouldn't have been caught that season and maybe, just maybe wouldn't have fallen quite so much in the 1990's and beyond.

A possible third choice would have been the Coventry 1 - 2 Home defeat in the 1990's suffered by Roy Evans side in 1997 - The ONE time we had the League Title in our hands during the 1990's. Win that and we'd have had a lead in the table with 5 or so games to go - We may not have won it - who knows? But we'd have had a chance and I think Roy Evans side that year deserved at least that. Also what about the '90 Semi final in the FA Cup? Reversing THAT would have given us the chance to embarrass and who knows? perhaps destroy Ferguson's Man U' reign before it could even get started and where would the Mancs be niow had THAT happened back then?...............

So those are my 2 (4?) choices, see what you think of them. Everyone has different ideas and who knows how our history could have been changed by one result - It's all conjecture but interesting to look at and I honestly think the ones I put down WOULD have changed our history a lot. ESPECIALLY the second one....................

An investigation by the Football Association was launched and found that players from both sides had been involved in rigging the match: Sandy Turnbull, Arthur Whalley and Enoch West of United, and Jackie Sheldon, Tom Miller, Bob Purcell and Tom Fairfoul of Liverpool; Sheldon was a former United player himself and was found to be the plot's ringleader.

Do I need to have second thoughts about Tevez now?

Edit: What were you then Hermes, 10? 12? ;-)

My Dad is an Arsenal fan and I still remember us watching the 1989 game on TV and me already on my feet waving my scarf when Thomas broke through. Was shattered that day and for a few days after that.

In recent years I think that home defeat against Coventry in 1997 has to be a big one. Not a cup final but a game that could have seen us win a league back then had we won it.

Good Topic - My 2 MAIN Choices are unusual ones but there you go - BOTH would have given us another league title each and I think at least one of them may have changed the course of our modern history since 1991.

My second choice also involves the Gunners and a game that to be honest, I think was the REAL beginning of our downfall post 1990; In the 1990/1991 season we went to Highbury unbeaten just after they'd been whacked 2 - 6 at home by Man U and we were top of the league with a 6 point lead that would have been 9 had we won. Instead? Kenny Dalglish played a side full of defenders, we didn't even try and got battered 0 - 3. I think if we'd won that game we WOULD have won the 1991 title despite Arsenal's fantastic (1 loss all season) run and it MAY have persuaded Souness to keep on a lot of our older and great players that he sold to soon and which by doing he ruined our title-winning framework for the 90's and beyond. That game started the rot and the return match (which led to our first home loss of the 90's thanks to Paul bloody Merson of all people in a game where we PULVERISED Arsenal for no reward) confirmed it. But THIS was the game that started it all going wrong for us -in December 1990 - Change the result to an LFC win and with a 9 point lead at Christmas and a squad full of title winners? We wouldn't have been caught that season and maybe, just maybe wouldn't have fallen quite so much in the 1990's and beyond.

Interesting you pick that game, the TV analysts couldn't believe how negative LFC were - I also remember a game a month later away v Crystal Palace which finally confirmed to me it was all over. I actually think the start was the FA Cup Semi v Crystal Palace at Villa Park - the defensive frailties were shown up. The winning of the League only delayed the inevitable as far as I was concerned.

1988 Cup Final for me. I remember being in the pub the night before with my mates all of us predicting 4 or 5 nil. Still can't believe Beardsley's goal was pulled back. Plus we wouldn't have to sit through fucking Lawrie Sanchez winning goal every year, every round, and every bloody final that's been played from 1988 till the end of time.

Good topic.

Mine was 1989 league games against Arsenal. Still couldn't accept it happened. A team of our calibre couldn't get the results of NOT losing by 2 clear goals to win the title?

Had we won that we would have been ahead of the Mancs 19-18 and next year we'd have been further ahead and Ferguson would never have a chance to 'knock us of our perch!'

Good topic.

Mine was 1989 league games against Arsenal. Still couldn't accept it happened. A team of our calibre couldn't get the results of NOT losing by 2 clear goals to win the title?

Had we won that we would have been ahead of the Mancs 19-18 and next year we'd have been further ahead and Ferguson would never have a chance to 'knock us of our perch!'

If only Barnes had stood on the ball at the corner flag..........:(