You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle

fobbierowler

Like many people I was a bit bemused to wake up this morning to the news that Alan Shearer has become the manager of Newcastle United until the end of the season!! Here is a club thretened with relegation, 2 points from safety with just 8 games left, the first of which will be at home to Chelsea, so why would he choose to take on such an enormous job at this time?

Why would he leave the cosy MOTD couch to manage a club in such danger?, on top of which he has no managerial experience whatsoever and because he is thought of so highly in Newcastle he will have huge pressure to do something miraculous!!

Do you think he loves the club so much that he thinks he must roll up his sleeves, get stuck in and try to do something to help or has he secretly seen an opportunity to become a North East God by saving the club from relegation?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking news on the Guardian website, Ian Dowie as assistant.

This will be the most elaborate footballing April Fools ever if thats what it turns out to be. I really, really hope it's true though.

I think it's a good choice for number 2. It will be interesting to see if they can make an immediate impact.

Saturday, 04 April 2009

Newcastle v Chelsea, 15:00

Saturday, 11 April 2009

Stoke v Newcastle, 17:30

Sunday, 19 April 2009

Tottenham v Newcastle, 13:30

Monday, 27 April 2009

Newcastle v Portsmouth, 20:00

Saturday, 02 May 2009

Barclays Premier League

Liverpool v Newcastle, 15:00

Saturday, 09 May 2009

Barclays Premier League

Newcastle v Middlesbrough, 15:00

Saturday, 16 May 2009

Barclays Premier League

Newcastle v Fulham, 15:00

Sunday, 24 May 2009

Barclays Premier League

Aston Villa v Newcastle, 16:00

Thats not easy.

People find it easy to hate others nowadays. Shearer was the best striker in the Premiership for years, scored scorchers and turned down United twice, some say they would already have taken over our record if he said yes. For that alone he should at least be respected. Yes he kicked a few people in the head every now and again, used his elbows most matches and is shit on MOTD but that's the BBC fault for hiring the dullard. The Keane incident was great too.

Like many people I was a bit bemused to wake up this morning to the news that Alan Shearer has become the manager of Newcastle United until the end of the season!! Here is a club thretened with relegation, 2 points from safety with just 8 games left, the first of which will be at home to Chelsea, so why would he choose to take on such an enormous job at this time?

Why would he leave the cosy MOTD couch to manage a club in such danger?, on top of which he has no managerial experience whatsoever and because he is thought of so highly in Newcastle he will have huge pressure to do something miraculous!!

Do you think he loves the club so much that he thinks he must roll up his sleeves, get stuck in and try to do something to help or has he secretly seen an opportunity to become a North East God by saving the club from relegation?

I think he is essentially a decent bloke who does genuinely love his club. I suppose he didn't think they were really likely to go down until very recently , I know I didn't. He had explained that he didn't really want the job earlier on a full time basis as he doesn't feel he is suitably qualified in which he is correct.

His shortcomings will however be less obvious over 8 matches as it will be more an inspirational rather than tactical effort from him. Match of the Day are also likely to Ok his going missing if it is only for 6 weeks or so.

Whatever happens he can say that at least he had a go for his club.

I would still Stoke , Boro & Blackburn take their knuckleheaded tactics ( and knack of depriving us of points ) to the Championship.

Guest TK-421

They need maximum points from the games against Pompey, Fulham and Boro or it could be good-bye, or "hasta la vista" as they say in Newcastle.

I think Newcastle do a useful job in the Premiership - they wind up the Blues by being treated as a bigger club than them and provide us with a few good laughs from time to time so I hope they stay up.

I'll be happy so long as boro go down.

Pretty much a similar reaction as when Owen arrived. Or Keegan returned. Basically wild over-optimism. I had a quick look on their forums, and there are one or two who've been smart enough to treat the news with caution, although their voices have been drowned out and laughed at in the rush to eulogise the new massiah.

An inexperienced man at the helm. A brain dead moron as second in command. And an owner who's looking for a scapegoat. This has all the ingredients to end badly. Very badly.

An inexperienced man at the helm. A brain dead moron as second in command. And an owner who's looking for a scapegoat. This has all the ingredients to end badly. Very badly.

As much as I value Shearer's input on MOTD I dont think he has the on hands experience to get Newcatle out of this rut. If he gets relegated then his reputation will have been shot.

Big risk indeed.

Ian Dowie is a cock, always was and always will be and I have no respect for the man. Sometimes he talkes sense but you get to see Haleys comet more often than not.

Last throw of the dice.

Can 'wor Alan keep them up? Maybe he can, hope not though. Newcastle and Boro for the drop please.

You're a fucker for that. I laughed when I read it last night, then after I'd left here it stuck in my head and kept coming back and making me laugh, but at stupid moments, etc.

I looked up wor aswell, how the fuck can they say 'our' as 'wor' ? If I ever see a geordie now and he/she says that I'm gonna probably crack up, or at least have a stupid grin on my face for ages that I can't remove.

"Wye aye mann! I'm gannin oot tah see wor Sheerah unveyald as boss like'!"

As much as I value Shearer's input on MOTD I dont think he has the on hands experience to get Newcatle out of this rut. If he gets relegated then his reputation will have been shot.

Big risk indeed.

Nah, don't think so. It's probably a win/win situation for him, even though he'd much rather they stayed up, but I think he loves the club and will stay whether they stay up or go down. Then if his reputation is fucked up because of them going down, he's got next year in an easier league to learn his trade, then hopefully back up next season and he can have another go at being a top flight manager.

Then if they fail to get back up he's probably not good enough, but he'll at least have had a proper go at it. And if he fails to keep them up this season and then leaves, then I don't see what the fuck he was doing in the firstplace really, he needs to at least be prepared for either situation, because the club and fans will be wrecked if they go down, but totally shattered if they go down and he leaves aswell.

Can't see him leaving like that though.

And as an extra bonus, Shearer will know Owen more than any of them, and just as important, what type of service he needs to be trying to get his players to deliver to him, so things might not be that bad. (presuming he stays fit of course.)

That all happened quite quickly , not even enough time for big Sam to declare his interest in the job, realise that there's no fucking way he was getting out , then " respectfully" pull out of the race.

Personally, I hope Newcastle stay up. Usually 6 points of them and I really,really,really want Stoke out of this league.

Thank fxxk for the G20 riots otherwise every news show would have the stupid disillusioned fans on saying this and that.

I hope they go down as

1) they say there the best fans in the prem, they turn against there teams quickly and all of a sudden when there not doing as good they dont get a full house!

2) Kenny daglish got them closer to silverware then they had been 2 fa cup finals what did they do Boo him and slag him off!

3) and it would give Michael Owen another reason to say " I should never have left Liverpool

Guest Dog Chaser

That came out of the blue a bit, no speculation that i had heard in recent days or weeks just that underlying thought that the Newcastle job would be Shearer's one day. Maybe he's taken it because he feels he has to save the club or at the very least do something for the club he loves. I see he is bringing in Dowie as a potential scapegoat.

Never liked Shearer since he kicked his team mate in the head during a training session.

It was caught on camera and all over the news. Didn't he threaten to pull out of the England squad if any action was taken over it.

Please God if you do exist let Wor Al take them down.

Wasn't that in a league game against Leicester - he kicked Lennon, didn't he?