You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League scouts will descend on the UPC Arena in Graz on Wednesday night to check the progress of Europe's most prolific striker.

Marc Janko, Austria's 6ft 5ins forward, might not be a household name in this country, but his scoring exploits - 30 goals in just 21 games for Red Bull Salzburg this season - in the Austrian league have made some of England's top clubs sit up and take notice.

Janko has attracted interest from Tottenham, Manchester City, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Wigan, while Celtic have also been linked with a move.

But his club have made it clear they are in no rush to cash in on their prize asset.

The 25-year-old striker will start for Austria against Sweden in a friendly in the arena formerly known as the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium, hoping to add to his reputation as one of Europe's most feared strikers and secure a move to English football.

The trouble for Red Bull Salzburg's finest is that his club are in no rush to sell.

That's why they demanded at least £9million before discussions even began over Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce's interest last month.

Janko will not rock the boat just yet but he knows come the summer, his club's stance will soften and a deal could be reached at closer to £6m.

Then he hopes to secure a move to Britain and fulfil a childhood dream.

Spurs, Man City and Rovers on alert as Austria star aims for Premier League | Mail Online

hmm, 6'5 striker, 25 years old, can score and is reasonably priced. sounds like a Rafa player/transfer

anyone seen him and what is he like? could he be a Crouch like option?

Not for me.

If he is only now making the headlines at 25, what was he doing at 20,21,22,23,and 24 ?

These players arrive on the wave of one decent season in a shit league, and then fade away.

If they are signed then they normally last a season before being shipped back out to the continent as a costly mistake

Not for me.

If he is only now making the headlines at 25, what was he doing at 20,21,22,23,and 24 ?

These players arrive on the wave of one decent season in a shit league, and then fade away.

If they are signed then they normally last a season before being shipped back out to the continent as a costly mistake

every transfer is a gamble, even 'premiership proven' like Keane. i'd rather gamble on someone new to the league as they usually improve for it

Marc Janko - The 'Boro Months

17th August 2009 - Signs for Middlesbrough for £14m, unveiled by manger Alan Curbishley. "This is a huge opportunity for me and I look forward to repaying the confidence 'Boro have put in me."

Curbishley calls him "a world class talent."

22nd August 2009 - Easily contained by Paul McShane as 'Boro lose 3-1 to local rivals Sunderland.

28th August 2009 - Easily contained by Tony Hibbert as 'Boro draw 0-0 with Everton.

30th August 2009 - Newspaper reports claim Janko described Middlesbrough as "like a leper colony" in an interview with an Austrian radio station. "The people here are scary, particularly the women and the food is fucking rank. I really hate it here."

31st August - Middlesbrough's official website features quotes from Janko claiming he was misquoted and that he's enjoying the challenge of English football. "I never said them things," he says.

7th September - Easily contained by Titus Bramble as 'Boro draw 0-0 with Wigan. Substituted at half-time.

14th September - Spends match on bench as David Villa and Fernando Torres claim braces in a 4-0 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield. Rumours abound of a training ground argument with Alfonso Alves over who does the best Batvoice.

21st September - "Play Me Or I Quit Blasts Boro Flop Janko"

2nd January - Returns to Red Bull Salzburg on loan

Premier League scouts will descend on the UPC Arena in Graz on Wednesday night to check the progress of Europe's most prolific striker.

Marc Janko, Austria's 6ft 5ins forward, might not be a household name in this country, but his scoring exploits - 30 goals in just 21 games for Red Bull Salzburg this season - in the Austrian league have made some of England's top clubs sit up and take notice.

Janko has attracted interest from Tottenham, Manchester City, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Wigan, while Celtic have also been linked with a move.

But his club have made it clear they are in no rush to cash in on their prize asset.

The 25-year-old striker will start for Austria against Sweden in a friendly in the arena formerly known as the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium, hoping to add to his reputation as one of Europe's most feared strikers and secure a move to English football.

The trouble for Red Bull Salzburg's finest is that his club are in no rush to sell.

That's why they demanded at least £9million before discussions even began over Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce's interest last month.

Janko will not rock the boat just yet but he knows come the summer, his club's stance will soften and a deal could be reached at closer to £6m.

Then he hopes to secure a move to Britain and fulfil a childhood dream.

Spurs, Man City and Rovers on alert as Austria star aims for Premier League | Mail Online

hmm, 6'5 striker, 25 years old, can score and is reasonably priced. sounds like a Rafa player/transfer

anyone seen him and what is he like? could he be a Crouch like option?

We already had the best "Peter Crouch option", in......hmmm.... Peter Crouch!

But Rafa went and fucked that one right in the arse already.

every transfer is a gamble, even 'premiership proven' like Keane. i'd rather gamble on someone new to the league as they usually improve for it

No reble23. We are in a position where we have to sign proven quality that will improve on what we have not taking a punt on smeone for a few Million in the hope we have found a gem we have to sign the best young quality in the hope they will develope into a player we can use and if we havnt got a player coming through for the first team in a certain position then we have to sign the finished article now IMO

Not for me.

Two words; Balaban.

I think there was an article about him in the Times a few weeks back. My thoughts are that he's 25, were has he been until now?

Ian Wright wasn't even playing professional football until a few months shy of his 22nd birthday. Janko would hardly be the first late bloomer in football history.

Hmm...

Josemi

dossena

deggen

ngog

I could go on to list at least30 more FOR LIVERPOOL ALONE that prove unequivecally what nonsense that statement is. But I can't be arsed.

etc

Ian Wright wasn't even playing professional football until a few months shy of his 22nd birthday. Janko would hardly be the first late bloomer in football history.

Stuart Pearce was the same but nobody had heard of Dossena until last season (when he was about 25) and look how he turned out.

I'd prefer us to go for proven talent at the minute.

dont forget to list all the successes too

If I could be arsed, then I would.

But i can't be arsed, so I wont.

However, I'd be willing to bet my arse hole that for every foreign signing that goes on to "improve" the league, there are AT LEAST three or four who don't do anything of note at whatsoever. And with a far higher ratio than that at Anfield.

At our club alone we've signed a foreign failure at the rate of about one every 30 days or so under Benitez. So to say gambling on someone new to the league usually improves it, is just ludicrous.

Taking a gamble on somebody new to the league is not only not the best way to go about improving the league, it's actually very possibly the worst, when compared against bringing in someone proven or nurturing a home grown talent from an early age! Hence the very term "taking a gamble".