You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aerial Ineptness

shanks59

Thats simply not true.

Or at least it hasn't been true for two seasons before this. Of the three, I would say Agger is the weakest, but it's not something we suffered with particularly when he was partnering Carragher in 06/07, and it's not something we suffered particularly with when Skrtel was last season. This season however, there have been a number of games where I've been very concerned that we don't clear the ball properly in the air, and given that most of the goals we've conceded have been from set pieces and crosses it's clear something has gone wrong. I put it down to having no settled partnership this season personally. They've all proved they can do it in the past.

Or at least it hasn't been true for two seasons before this. Of the three, I would say Agger is the weakest,

Strange, i'd go the opposite way and say he's second only to Hyypia amongst the CB's. His positioning is better than the others so that alone sees him win balls both Skrtel and Carra don't come close to winning. Carra's been stopped from going up for corners too, which tells a story i think. I know we're not really allowed to criticise Carra in any little way at all on these boards....but there you go.

I just don't think Agger is as good in the air as Sami or Carra. His positioning is good, yes, but his leap isn't as good as theirs and the ball consequently goes over him more. That's just from observation, and it's not something I make a habit of putting in spreadsheets or anything. Maybe someone has a stat for defensive headers won or something which might shed some light on it, but even that would be a bit deficient. Defensive headers successfully cleared is what I'm thinking about.

Or at least it hasn't been true for two seasons before this. Of the three, I would say Agger is the weakest, but it's not something we suffered with particularly when he was partnering Carragher in 06/07, and it's not something we suffered particularly with when Skrtel was last season. This season however, there have been a number of games where I've been very concerned that we don't clear the ball properly in the air, and given that most of the goals we've conceded have been from set pieces and crosses it's clear something has gone wrong. I put it down to having no settled partnership this season personally. They've all proved they can do it in the past.

Could be something to do with the change of coaching personnel too, good aerial defending is more to do with positioning than physical height, anyone who's watched the Italian national side over the last two decades can testify to that. (or watched a 6ft 2ins Dave Unsworth conceding a goal after being outjumped by a Japanese player at a corner while on England duty, for that matter)

Could be something to do with the change of coaching personnel too, good aerial defending is more to do with positioning than physical height, anyone who's watched the Italian national side over the last two decades can testify to that. (or watched a 6ft 2ins Dave Unsworth conceding a goal after being outjumped by a Japanese player at a corner while on England duty, for that matter)

Sure, I don't think it's all to do with height either. It's also to do with positioning, as well as your leap and the strength in your torso and neck. You can get the positioning right and still be shite at heading.

Sami has both in spades, hence his aerial prowess .. :whistle: