You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is fucked? My TV or my HDMI cable?

Chris

Alright dudes....

Having some HD troubles. Neither my PS3, which I assumed broken or the Blu-ray player I swagged to replace it are working through the HMDI socket at the moment.

The working/non working ratio has been degenerating for some time now to the point where HDMI works through my 360 without sound, and my Blu-ray player doesn't receive a signal at all.

It's acting like it's trying to receive a signal, but not mustering it

It's the same story with all three HDMI ports on my TV and surely all three of those can't be fucked? That'd be some awful luck.

I don't have another cable to test with, so if you dudes could offer any insight...

Cheers

I think its just the cable. Borrow a HDMI cable and check?

Yeah I'll try it... I need instant gratification so posted on here. The cable was really really expensive though. Like £80 worth. Granted, I didn't pay for it... but still. I was worried because it's really heavy and may have damaged the ports through it's sheer weight.

i had a similar prob with my scart ports i thought it was the cable. tried a new 1 but theat never worked

i contacted the people who i bought it from as i had a 2yr warrnty

they said that i needed software updated. took it away came back 2 weeks later sorted!!

It's weird that it partially works through some of the ports though, man. I'm really scared I've goosed the whole thing by switching the cable between Xbox and PS3

I'm just guessing, I have know to be wrong on the TNF. It must be worth a try with another lead though, you can pick them up quite cheap from GAME etc.

Yeah I'll try it... I need instant gratification so posted on here. The cable was really really expensive though. Like £80 worth. Granted, I didn't pay for it... but still. I was worried because it's really heavy and may have damaged the ports through it's sheer weight.

It sounds like the cable had an imperfection inside of it and just slowly got worse.

get a new cable from Asda for about 6 or 7 quid. HDMI cables are practically all the same so spending big bucks on one is a waste of money. Something to do with the digital signal apparently (bear in mind this information came from the gadget show so could be a load of shite, in which case blame them, if correct though I will require all the credit)

get a new cable from Asda for about 6 or 7 quid. HDMI cables are practically all the same so spending big bucks on one is a waste of money. Something to do with the digital signal apparently (bear in mind this information came from the gadget show so could be a load of shite, in which case blame them, if correct though I will require all the credit)

Is correct. It's like digital receivers, freeview and the like. Either the signal is perfect, or it's fucked. So long as the cable meets a certain minimum specification it's as good as anything else.

There's a lot of myths involving AV equipment, in particular cables. This is how companies like Monster make their money.

You don't need £25 a yard oxygen-free 73-strand copper speaker cables, for example. A decent bit of twincore extension cable from B&Q will do the job quite happily. The golden rule with speaker cable is to ensure that the resistance in your cable run is no more than 5% of the impedance of your speakers.

A lot of people recommend spending a fortune on scart leads to end that ghosting effect you sometimes get on old-fashioned tellies when watching Sky or a DVD.

But what you really need to do is cut one of the wires to one of the pins in the cheap scart lead you bought from Asda. Not just any wire, a particular one, can't remember which now.

Pin 19 that was, which is video out on a SCART connector. This was done to help reduce crosstalk from the signal generated by the tuner in your TV interfering with the video in signal from your VCR/DVD player.