You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm looking to invest in a laptop (price range £500 - £1000) in order to produce and mix my own music on. Anyone else do this? if so any hints on what spec i am looking for? I am looking at a Sony VGN with 4GB RAM and an Intel 2.26 GHZ core 2 dual processor with 320GB hard drive. Anyone know if this would be ideal or know of any laptops that are specifically equipped for this kind of thing??

I agree wholeheartedly with the above sentiment. What software are you thinking of using? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but your main concern should be RAM and you've got bags of it with that laptop. How much is that?

I don't think there's anything on the market specifically equipped for the job but most serious aficionados would opt for an Apple.

Just saying like.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above sentiment. What software are you thinking of using? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but your main concern should be RAM and you've got bags of it with that laptop. How much is that?

I don't think there's anything on the market specifically equipped for the job but most serious aficionados would opt for an Apple.

Just saying like.

I can't afford a Macbook and its well more for the same spec as far as i can see. Plus i have an aversion to Ipods (creative zen vision man myself) Iphones (Ericsson for me) and most things Apple made due mainly to the exclusivity factor. And itunes always put me off the Ipod. But anyway, The laptop mentioned is about £800 and i'm looking to get one of the cakewalk software packages, possibly sonar 7 producer edition. I'm aiming for the soundtrack-y electronic type stuff so it should ideally be in house really.

I can't disagree with those anti-Apple arguments... if it's not you thing then that's it. To me, the one you've picked out is perfect for what you want, I'd even say possibly more than you need but you can't really have enough power!

I'd suggest you get rid of all the 3rd party programs that you get pre-installed with the Sony.