You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

CCTV in school bogs

Paul

What do you all think? Have they got a point or they just attention seeking gobshites?

Parents hit out at CCTV in Wirral school toilets

Oct 1 2008 by Lorna Hughes, Birkenhead News

Parents hit out at CCTV in Hilbre High School toilets

PARENTS have hit out at a Wirral school after learning a CCTV camera had been fitted in pupils’ toilets.

A man and woman, who asked not to be named, say they were horrified to discover their teenage son, a pupil at Hilbre High in West Kirby, had been given a detention last week for “defacing school property”.

It later emerged he had been given the punishment for putting Blu-Tack over the lens of the camera.

The furious couple have refused to allow the school to keep the 15-year-old at detention, and say the camera is an invasion of his privacy.

Hilbre High says the camera – which shows the sink area and not inside toilet cubicles – was installed after suggestions from students and there have been no other complaints.

The teenager’s mother told the News: “The school are really annoyed that we’re not backing them up but we’ve said no, this is not right. We were absolutely horrified when we found out about it.

“My husband got in touch with them and they told us they were within their rights to do this. They said bullying happens in toilets but there must be other ways to deal with it.

“How many other schools are doing this and the parents don’t know about it? There’s been no consultation or a letter asking our feelings about it.

“Our son only noticed the camera when he went back to school after the summer and now he’s reluctant to use the school toilets because he feels it’s an invasion of his privacy.

“No matter how old the pupils are, they still have human rights.”

Earlier this year the Association of Teachers and Lecturers (ATL) set up a working group to look into the use of CCTV and produce guidelines on best practice for schools and colleges.

Hilbre High head Jan Levenson said the cameras were installed following a survey during the last academic year of pupils’ opinions about school life.

She added: “Some of the feedback we received led to discussions with our Student Council regarding initiatives we could implement to make improvements to our school environment.

“One of the suggestions from the students included the installation of CCTV in areas which require greater monitoring, including the vanity areas within the students’ toilets.

“There have not been any other complaints about the cameras, which we would like to emphasise show the sink and vanity area only, and not inside the cubicles, where we would understand there being a concern about privacy.

“The company which installed these cameras has already undertaken this type of work in other Wirral secondary schools and we have received a great deal of positive feedback from headteachers about their effectiveness.

“We always endeavour to work collaboratively with our pupils and their parents, and we look forward to finding an amicable solution to this situation.”

Probably doing Coke off the bogs thats the real reason, my mrs' sister told me (who's 17) that loads of kids as young as 12 or 13 were doing coke in there school.

The camera covers the sink area, not the cubicles. So any hoovering up of a bit of uncle charles will still be hidden.

What is the reason for the cameras in the first place Paul? Reduce vandalism, or to try and stop the kids battering each other?

"Over the next half hour, he bludgeoned some of the animals to death with stones and hurled others over the two fences surrounding the crocodile enclosure.

At one point, he tried scaling the outer enclosure himself to get to "Terry", the 11ft (3.3m) saltwater crocodile."

Now bludgeoning little turtles with rocks is one thing, but I wouldn't have given him good odds if he'd got in with 'Terry'!

Terry - what a great name for an 11ft crocodile.

As for CCTV in the bogs, I don't see the problem. There is no invasion of privacy. What's so private about washing your hands? Most kids don't bother anyway. The parents should be told to fuck off. Also, how can they refuse detention? What a pair of cunts. Even if they disagree with the school stance, the kid broke the rules and should be punished. The parents are sending a signal to the kid that if he disagrees with the school rule, he can ignore it. The dad should be made to kick his wife in the cunt.

I'd have my kid moved out of any school that had CCTV in the toilets. If the school needs them then I don't think I'd want my kid in that kind of environment. A side issue, I suppose.

As to the original question, yeah it's out of order and just highlights their shortcomings. What exactly are they trying to catch anyway?

Also, if there's CCTV pointing at the sinks then surely that just means the kids would do whatever they wanted to in the cubicles. Totally pointless and a gross invasion of privacy.

EDIT: Oh and waste of money.

I'd have my kid moved out of any school that had CCTV in the toilets. If the school needs them then I don't think I'd want my kid in that kind of environment. A side issue, I suppose.

As to the original question, yeah it's out of order and just highlights their shortcomings. What exactly are they trying to catch anyway?

Also, if there's CCTV pointing at the sinks then surely that just means the kids would do whatever they wanted to in the cubicles. Totally pointless and a gross invasion of privacy.

EDIT: Oh and waste of money.

There isn't a school in the country that doesn't have a problem with behaviour in their pupil toilets. It's the only unsupervised place they can easily go to in a school. They are rife for bullying, smoking, grafitti and worse. Ours are not too bad, but every school has an issue with it.

I don't disagree, Paul I just don't think CCTV is the correct way to deal with it. The toilets should, in theory only really be used that much during breaks so maybe the teachers should share the same toilets (no more staff toilets) with the students that way they're being monitored sporadically.

CCTV in a toilet is an invasion of privacy.

we should take the lead of dutch service stations and have a fat angry disillusioned woman in a white coat sat in the bogs with a little plate for tips.

Put George Michael in there. He may be a cottager, but he wouldn't touch a kid. He can threaten them with a verse of Careless Whisper should they misbehave.

I don't disagree, Paul I just don't think CCTV is the correct way to deal with it. The toilets should, in theory only really be used that much during breaks so maybe the teachers should share the same toilets (no more staff toilets) with the students that way they're being monitored sporadically.

CCTV in a toilet is an invasion of privacy.

Staff and kids sharing loos? Can you imagine the Daily Mail headlines?

The other thing is that the CCTV was only directed at the sinks and mirror area - and it was asked for by the pupils of the school.

Bit of a tangent, but Paul's thread title made me chuckle as I always have, and always will, refer to toilets as Bogs. And it catches up with me sometimes when I'm in meetings with clients or whatever, and have a huge urge to ask where the bogs are.

"Where are the toilets?" is so wrong in comparison.

I don't see anything wrong with staff and kids sharing toilets, as long as they're not the ones mentioned in that manc uni. We don't have adult and child toilet segregation anywhere else in life so why at school?

It seems you're in support of this but I really can't see why. I can't see any benefit from it. Are you sure the kids actually asked for it; could that not just be the official line from the school?

I don't see anything wrong with staff and kids sharing toilets, as long as they're not the ones mentioned in that manc uni. We don't have adult and child toilet segregation anywhere else in life so why at school?

It seems you're in support of this but I really can't see why. I can't see any benefit from it. Are you sure the kids actually asked for it; could that not just be the official line from the school?

IF it made the toilets a safer and more hygienic place for kids, I'd support it. I don't see what the big deal is - as long as the kids want it. As for the veracity of that statement, I don't know for sure whether it's true, but I do know our kids here ask for it in every single school council meeting. However, our head is headline phobic, which is why we haven't done it.

Admittedly I'm a good while out of school but that really surprises me. Then again I remember the type of kids who were involved in those type of meetings and the ones who weren't so maybe not, come to think about it.

I do really think it's a waste of time and money though as anything that was done in there before could still be done in there, out of the cameras view. I also think it's a bit of a reflection of the outside world where the government are prying into every tiny detail of our lives in the name of safety, often with disatrous consequences or abuse of power.

I'll bet there's some male teachers somewhere sitting with their cocks in their hands watching the footage from the girls toilets. It'll be on youtube before you know it. And then some.

Before you pounce on me, I'm not intimating that all male teachers are perverts or paedophiles but you must recognise that some are, err, inappropriate at best.

Admittedly I'm a good while out of school but that really surprises me. Then again I remember the type of kids who were involved in those type of meetings and the ones who weren't so maybe not, come to think about it.

I do really think it's a waste of time and money though as anything that was done in there before could still be done in there, out of the cameras view. I also think it's a bit of a reflection of the outside world where the government are prying into every tiny detail of our lives in the name of safety, often with disatrous consequences or abuse of power.

I'll bet there's some male teachers somewhere sitting with their cocks in their hands watching the footage from the girls toilets. It'll be on youtube before you know it. And then some.

Before you pounce on me, I'm not intimating that all male teachers are perverts or paedophiles but you must recognise that some are, err, inappropriate at best.

Hand-washing fetishists? The cameras aren't in the actual toilets, so I can't see the problem. All they'll see is girls smoking, washing their hands and applying make-up badly.