You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

29 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

JB must have had a shite accountant during his playing days especially in his time with us. Although paid a fraction of what a mediocre PL player gets paid today, he was well paid by the standard of the times.

Ive spoken to JB at a game and he's a lovely fella, obviously not good with money though.

Not sure if reports are accurate but the problem is being reported as unpaid tax.

44 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The shite he spoke about the world cup has been surprising. Well until you realise he's took the Qatari ambassador money

Think he's been speaking a lot of sense personally. There's a lot of hypocrisy in the criticism levelled at Qatar. Shit choice for hosts absolutely but China and Russia didn't get a fraction of the flak Qatar has got when they hosted the world cup and Olympics in recent years, and nobody is telling me either of them are any better than Qatar when it comes to human rights or respect for LGBT folk. Qatar at least isn't bombing the shit out of another country like Russia is or putting ethnic minorities into internment camps like China is.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Think he's been speaking a lot of sense personally. There's a lot of hypocrisy in the criticism levelled at Qatar. Shit choice for hosts absolutely but China and Russia didn't get a fraction of the flak Qatar has got when they hosted the world cup and Olympics in recent years, and nobody is telling me either of them are any better than Qatar when it comes to human rights or respect for LGBT folk. Qatar at least isn't bombing the shit out of another country like Russia is or putting ethnic minorities into internment camps like China is.

I think plenty of ordinary folk objected to both Russia and China but those with vested interests,US,UK et al,just put their hands over their ears and went 'la la la la' as they usually do.

5 hours ago, Baltar said:

Respect to you

17 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So because Russia and China supposedly got a free ride we just give another one to Qatar? Is that how it works now? Because nobody on here criticised Argentina in 78 or Chile in 54 we are all hypocrites? What a load of shite.

USA 2026 is around the corner. If you start your campaign now at least you’d give them some time to resolve their human rights issues before they host it.

Here they are:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2022/country-chapters/united-states

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So because Russia and China supposedly got a free ride we just give another one to Qatar? Is that how it works now? Because nobody on here criticised Argentina in 78 or Chile in 54 we are all hypocrites? What a load of shite.

Fuck, even I wasnt alive in 54 but 78 and Argentina, hell yes, I did criticise and still do those bunch of fascist 'flag shaggers.' Funny, because when I posted that before, someone immediately posted an 'anyone but England' stuff.

I do recollect loads complaining about the Russian World Cup and even the Moscow Olympics in the 80's, same with China.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I do recollect loads complaining about the Russian World Cup and even the Moscow Olympics in the 80's, same with China.

John Barnes probably recollects that as well. What nobody recollects though is:

1. Broadcasters boycotting opening ceremonies.

2. The involvement of players in sending political messages.

3. The suggestions that the world cup should not be held in non-footballing nations. As if football was for certain nations only.

4. The vicious calls for boycott (even though everyone was secretly watching)

5. Accusations for local fans of getting paid by Qatar because they didn’t look European enough when they were pictured wearing their favorite teams shirts.

6. Stereotyping of the Arab culture.

7. Derision, mockery and the whole holier than thou approach.

8. Accusations of receiving bribery from Qatar to anyone who says a positive word about the country.

No, that did not happen before.

• Downvote 2

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The double standards is what I would question.

4 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Another voice of reason

Content and overall message aside - one smug get him.

Didn't realise homosexuality was illegal in uk in 1966 though - was shocked by that.

Why was he, a Dane, discussing the western world as a group regarding views on culture and mentalities, but then kept referencing Britain’s negative actions? Was a very strange video.

Colonisation and all that went with it is a skid mark of shame for most people in the UK. Nobody is defending it, but not sure what it has to do with immigrant workers being given no rights on a huge commercially driven project in 2022 though.

Human rights issues are raised all the time - within the UK, Russia 2018, everywhere. For some reason you are so thin skinned and arrogant that while acknowledging and highlighting all the others, you are still unwilling to recognise those within the Middle East.

I’m irritated at myself for fanning your flame of attention you so massively crave. Just wish you’d fuck off to be honest. You’re not promoting unity and acceptance, you’re creating division and accusations.

32 minutes ago, Curly said:

Colonisation and all that went with it is a skid mark of shame for most people in the UK. Nobody is defending it, but not sure what it has to do with immigrant workers being given no rights on a huge commercially driven project in 2022 though.

In the life of an individual, colonialism was a long time ago. In the life of nations, colonialism is still recent and still affects what happens today.

Britain divided the Middle East and installed the systems that govern it. It also impoverished and stole the wealth of the countries that send migrant workers to the Middle East. That for sure doesn’t absolve the Middle East of responsibility, but it adds context to the overall picture.

Human rights issues are raised all the time - within the UK, Russia 2018, everywhere. For some reason you are so thin skinned and arrogant that while acknowledging and highlighting all the others, you are still unwilling to recognise those within the Middle East.

Thank you for your kind words, but if you read carefully you will see that I have recognized many issues and criticized them as well.

I’m irritated at myself for fanning your flame of attention you so massively crave. Just wish you’d fuck off to be honest. You’re not promoting unity and acceptance, you’re creating division and accusations.

I’m sorry you feel that way. Just ignore me then. Why do you find it hard to do that?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Jurgen Knows said:

In the life of an individual, colonialism was a long time ago. In the life of nations, colonialism is still recent and still affects what happens today.

Britain divided the Middle East and installed the systems that govern it. It also impoverished and stole the wealth of the countries that send migrant workers to the Middle East. That for sure doesn’t absolve the Middle East of responsibility, but it adds context to the overall picture.

Thank you for your kind words, but if you read carefully you will see that I have recognized many issues and criticized them as well.

I’m sorry you feel that way. Just ignore me then. Why do you find it hard to do that?

You’ve killed me with kindness and rational conversation there mate and I’m slightly embarrassed by the tone in my message to you, so apologies for that. 

You’re right - why do I keep entering those threads or discussions once my view has been aired. 

Apologies for the shitty bits in my post again. 

• Upvote 1

On 06/12/2022 at 22:07, dockers_strike said:

JB must have had a shite accountant during his playing days especially in his time with us. Although paid a fraction of what a mediocre PL player gets paid today, he was well paid by the standard of the times.

Ive spoken to JB at a game and he's a lovely fella, obviously not good with money though.

i remember when he signed there was a rumour he was living in a flat above the dentist on Priory rd

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Arniepie said:

i remember when he signed there was a rumour he was living in a flat above the dentist on Priory rd

Don't know about that, but the wife's best mate used to work in the KFC on County Road ( presumably breaking up straighteners ) in the 80's and Barnesy used to call in after training every day for a Bargain Bucket to take home. Said he was the sweetest guy no airs and graces at all.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Curly said:

You’ve killed me with kindness and rational conversation there mate and I’m slightly embarrassed by the tone in my message to you, so apologies for that. 

You’re right - why do I keep entering those threads or discussions once my view has been aired. 

Apologies for the shitty bits in my post again. 

Nonsense, don’t fall for his nice guy bullshit. He’s a willing apologist for an evil regimes crimes and ruins pretty much every thread he posts his bullshit on.

• Upvote 3