You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SWISS STAR TO SIGN FOR REDS

If Rafa can sort this Degen's defending out then we may get a decent attacking fullback on the cheap.

Full backs defend first for me, and wingers attack first. Sounds simplistic I know. If you look at Ashley Cole for example, he is very good going forward but excellent at the back too, he always has Ronaldo in his pocket for example. I think Finnan will leave so this looks like good business and competition for Arbeloa - I just hope Carragher doesn't end up there.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full backs defend first for me, and wingers attack first. Sounds simplistic I know. If you look at Ashley Cole for example, he is very good going forward but excellent at the back too, he always has Ronaldo in his pocket for example. I think Finnan will leave so this looks like good business and competition for Arbeloa - I just hope Carragher doesn't end up there.

Reading that old thread which I posted up earlier reminded me of just how bad Evra was when he first came to the league, shockingly poor in his first few months until the United coaches sorted his defending out.

Now he looks like a rock at the back whilst maintaining his attacking abilities. For me it's the opposite of what you said, players can be taught to defend better, they can't be taught in a short space of time how to pass a ball, trap a ball etc better. They certainly can't be taught how to run a great deal faster.

Hmm, you obviously haven't read the whole thread.

It's sad that people are actually willing this guy to fail. It's very sad.

I reckon i've read enough to debate my case. Personally i don't want this guy to fail, and i don't understand why you're implying this, but i assert my right to be sceptical. I think i have legitimate reasons.

*delurks*

Andy Brassell on last night's World Football Phone In, that broadcasts on BBC 5 Live and The World Service, when questioned about Degen said something like "Very, very good when coming forward, one of the best players in The Swiss team and erm they're so keen to get him back they've rushed him straight back into the team without him playing for three months."

If you want to listen, you can find it here http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio/wf/wf_20080524-0407.mp3

It's mentioned a few minutes in, it's a really good podcast, it has Tim Vickery, Andy Brassell and Sean Wheelock taking people's questions on World Football. Just thought I'd try and redress the balance considering the waves of negativity.

*relurks*

:telloff:

Dirk, if you've been told once, you've been told a thousand times!

Stop coming in here and applying logic and providing evidence that is contrary to the opinions of everyone who thinks that anyone we sign who doesn't cost £15m+ is going to be a bag of shite....

PS - good to see you again ;)