You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

the players we're being linked with...

rebel23

... are a joke.

Barry, Johnson, Cattermole, Bentley. No doubt we'll soon be linked to Ferdinand and Dawson.

I know this is all media speculation but im sounding the alarm.

Benitez has accused Parry of being slow and ponderous in the transfer market, last year we were chasing Malouda who didn't feel "wanted" by everyone at the club, just as well because he would have cost us £13m and has been shit for Chelsea.

No football club should allow a manager to spunk millions of pounds on players who most fans do not think are good enough for a club with ambitions for the title, surely we know that from the Houllier era. I bet Parry hasn't forgotten.

I say most fans because you can guarantee there will always be someone who will think it's a good idea or a good deal to buy some player from a lower level Premier league club. Here's a reality check for you, NO IT ISN'T, not these days.

Our transfers under Benitez have been a lot better than his predecessor, that's for sure but he isn't infallable and often gets it wrong especially when going for older players such as Kuyt, Morientes, Malouda, he should stick to younger players where he often gets it right, notably from abroad.

it sickens me that we're linked to every strike it lucky work horse at every Premier League club when we should be chasing the top attacking talent from around the world and putting our resources in that direction.

Let's discuss this in an honest and frank manner.

and please i'm not being a cnut, I love this club and it pains me to see money being wasted on players who aren't good enough and who will last 2 years max or will sit on the bench and be part of the "squad" which HAS happened too much over the years and IF this speculation is true, will continue to happen...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will need to have a larger group of English players in the squad in order to comply with the new rules.

For every player from abroad we are linked with, we will be linked with an English player in the same position.

Just like Alves and Villa and the likes doesnt mean cos we are linked that they will sign

so chill wait and see who is in a red shirt and then give them a chance before writting them off

We will need to have a larger group of English players in the squad in order to comply with the new rules.

For every player from abroad we are linked with, we will be linked with an English player in the same position.

Just like Alves and Villa and the likes doesnt mean cos we are linked that they will sign

so chill wait and see who is in a red shirt and then give them a chance before writting them off

I don't know about these new rules, i doubt they will get through but it's still depressing when you think about what we need and when you see what we're linked with :wallbutt: i hope it's all rubbish myself...

Guest TK-421
I don't know about these new rules, i doubt they will get through but it's still depressing when you think about what we need and when you see what we're linked with :wallbutt: i hope it's all rubbish myself...

Your irrational dislike of any player who doesn't fit into your obscure "policy" makes it difficult to discuss this topic. What is wrong with English players? Players like Lampard, Carrick, R.Ferdinand and J.Cole were all plucked from lower league teams and have all been instrumental in the success of their respective clubs.

Its all just speculation. Rafa doesnt do his work in the media so the hacks rely on what the agents tell them. Most agents would sell their own grandma if they could make a buck out of the deal, add to that the fact that all hacks will print anything that sells and you've got yourself a bullshit rumour. I'm just surprised we haven't seen a thierry henri story yet.

Your irrational dislike of any player who doesn't fit into your obscure "policy" makes it difficult to discuss this topic. What is wrong with English players? Players like Lampard, Carrick, R.Ferdinand and J.Cole were all plucked from lower league teams and have all been instrumental in the success of their respective clubs.

i'm not against it, young ones are fine, Barry and Bentley I wouldn't think have much more upside potential, Johnson is a GOOD prospect and player but really is a waste of resources for next season at least, we should surely be looking at more attacking options on the right, left, in behind etc that can go into the starting XI

Barry wont leave Villa and would be a great signing for anyone if he did in a better team he looks better as he showed for England

Dawson as always been a target for Liverpool since his Forrest days so they must see something in the lad doesnt mean he will be signed

Johnson and Cattermole are two young players who could go on to be anything and are players for the future i dont see what they have done wrong for people to have a go at them maybe if they where Spanish or Brazilian and have a you tube clip we would be happy No

So that leaves Bentley now the lad can play so no one can grumble on that score is he better than what we have on the right Maybe so the only thing is how much would he cost if you are talking 17m + Then i would think you can get better for that type of money so it would depend on the fee for me

But non of these deals are anything more than speculation at the moment they haven't played a game in a red shirt and yet they are deemed not good enough by some

I believe some of you are in the wrong jobs as you would do much better as a scout for Liverpool

I don't like to talk about transfers, as I'm not a scout and haven't seen them play. Saying that, I hear Robinho is unhappy at Madrid and think he'd be worth a 10-15m bid.

Agreed he is on a stupid wage at Madrid for a player of his tallent and that is the reason he is unhappy i would have him in a heartbeat

Guest TK-421
i'm not against it, young ones are fine, Barry and Bentley I wouldn't think have much more upside potential, Johnson is a GOOD prospect and player but really is a waste of resources for next season at least, we should surely be looking at more attacking options on the right, left, in behind etc that can go into the starting XI

Bentley is an attacking option, you don't like him because he's "exposed" or some other such nonsense which contravenes the policy. As I say it's hard to discuss because you will dismiss every proposed signing, as you have done on this thead, which doesn't adhere to your ludicrous policy.

So that leaves Bentley now the lad can play so no one can grumble on that score is he better than what we have on the right Maybe so the only thing is how much would he cost if you are talking 17m + Then i would think you can get better for that type of money so it would depend on the fee for me

l

There in lies the problem.

The inflated prices for Englsih players.

Maybe after a season or so of this complusory homegrown thing the prices will fall into the land of reality bracket!

Bentley is an attacking option, you don't like him because he's "exposed" or some other such nonsense which contravenes the policy. As I say it's hard to discuss because you will dismiss every proposed signing, as you have done on this thead, which doesn't adhere to your ludicrous policy.

yes he is exposed but I dont think he has the quality, he should stand out a bit more than he does for £15m but he has the usual good game against Wigan and gets an England cap and is suddenly overhyped, will he progress much more to justify the expense? Doubtful. is he good enough currently to justify it? no, not in my opinion.

Lennon was supposed to be worth £15m last year too and many people creamed themselves and wanted us to sign him, SWP was touted and bought by CHelsea for £24m, he barely starts for them. they're all the same, waste.

J. Cole a rare exception, i'll grant you that but he looked special at West Ham and stood out from a young age and always had his heart set on chelsea (Bentley for example is not skinning people like a young Joe Cole was!). occasionally there is the odd exception

I don't know what the exact ruling is about English players but i remember hearing 5 named in a euro squad. I assume that foreign players that have been involved in the academy/youth team will be classed as homegrown talent. So when the ruling comes out we won't have any problems.

If their a massive difference between the Bentley and Nasri situation?

one has more upside potential than the other.

if there was a young Joe Cole about we would all know about it, we would see him skinning people at 19, Bentley is NOT that we all know it and he is 23/24, he is a functional player at this stage and too expensive, in my opinion of course.

Not much point in kicking up a stink about who the media say we are interested in. there is no evidence that we are actually trying to sign any players, never mind any of those listed. Wait until we sign someone before going mental, although even then there is no point as you just have to trust the manager.