You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Radiohead on Ross...

Chris

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Beatles for their later stuff but I reckon if you put the seven Radiohead albums in a ring and ask the Beatles to put their best seven in there to take them on, tune for tune the Beatles lose.

The Beatles were almost definitely more influential and pushed music on but they also have albums littered with Maggie Mays and Yellow Submarines.

A bold, bold statement Stu. I like your style (even though you are very wrong).

Thom Yorke's pubes are better than The Beatles. And even Paul McCartney (real name Paul McCarthy according to loadsoftrophies) would agree to that.

Hence why he has tried to salvage something from his own degenerating career by working with Nigel Godrich.

Stuart is massively wrong, but Radiohead are not a bad band - just another in a whole raft of student-art bands (and yes, I do 'get it'). Nothing they do is particularly original, but some of it is actually very good. I quite like Yorke's solo stuff as well, but you have to view it in the context of what's gone before.

I love the Beatles for their later stuff but I reckon if you put the seven Radiohead albums in a ring and ask the Beatles to put their best seven in there to take them on, tune for tune the Beatles lose.

The Beatles were almost definitely more influential and pushed music on but they also have albums littered with Maggie Mays and Yellow Submarines.

But I like Yellow Submarine.

I don't like Radiohead, some of their earlier stuff was alright but even then I was never a massive fan. After Kid A though I don't even listen to them, my life is much better without them.

Can't comment on any album since Kid A obviously, I'd have to hear (and like) something by accident if I'm ever to listen to them again.

Thom Yorke is a bell end as well, he's just a gozz eyed geek. I'd love to stamp on his head until my leg gets tired.

I don't like Radiohead, some of their earlier stuff was alright but even then I was never a massive fan. After Kid A though I don't even listen to them, my life is much better without them.

Can't comment on any album since Kid A obviously, I'd have to hear (and like) something by accident if I'm ever to listen to them again.

Thom Yorke is a bell end as well, he's just a gozz eyed geek. I'd love to stamp on his head until my leg gets tired.

That's some deep, deep wrong right there.

Not my genre at all, but the polarising attitudes on here have motivated me to seek out some of their newer stuff and have a listen. I was a student when The Bends came out, so pretty familiar with that.

Can't say I agree with wishing to stamp on Yorke's head either, I saw an interview with him on BBC2 a while back and he seemed an intelligent and likeable bloke.

Not my genre at all, but the polarising attitudes on here have motivated me to seek out some of their newer stuff and have a listen. I was a student when The Bends came out, so pretty familiar with that.

Can't say I agree with wishing to stamp on Yorke's head either, I saw an interview with him on BBC2 a while back and he seemed an intelligent and likeable bloke.

Cricket commentators should be intelligent and likeable, not lead singers of rock 'n' roll bands. Give me Liam Gallagher or Ian Brown anyday.

Cricket commentators should be intelligent and likeable, not lead singers of rock 'n' roll bands. Give me Liam Gallagher or Ian Brown anyday.

Thought so.

Take drugs, get pissed, be a gobshite and makes shite derivative music - Legend

Be a nice quiet bloke who actually tries to do something worthwhile - Twat.

The world has gone mad, people.

It was an interview discussing his musical influences I think. If him metaphorically getting his cock out in that situation, and giving it the large Gallagher style, would make him more likeable then we'll agree to disagree.

Personally, whilst I do like the odd Radiohead song, they're not really my cup of tea. I can see why people like them but for me, they've never really deviated from one subject matter of song about neurosis and insecurity within the world; but musically, you can't deny it, they are a top notch band.

Don't agree with the comment about The Beatles though. The thing is, music's changed a lot in 30-40 years. Stu Monty makes the comment about comparing seven of The Beatles albums and seven of Radiohead's, but it's worth remembering that a lot of The Beatles' best work was never released on an album. You couldn't get away with that nowadays as singles only seem to be adverts for albums. I think The Beatles have the greatest and most varying back catalogue of any band before and since them. For me, they are the greatest and most talented band who ever lived.

In my opinion, The Beatles will be remembered in hundreds of a years time the same way Mozart and Beethoven are nowdays for achieveing musical perfection because some of the stuff they have done (particularly on Revolver) makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It's possibly a bold thing to suggest, but I stand by it.

Personally, whilst I do like the odd Radiohead song, they're not really my cup of tea. I can see why people like them but for me, they've never really deviated from one subject matter of song about neurosis and insecurity within the world; but musically, you can't deny it, they are a top notch band.

Don't agree with the comment about The Beatles though. The thing is, music's changed a lot in 30-40 years. Stu Monty makes the comment about comparing seven of The Beatles albums and seven of Radiohead's, but it's worth remembering that a lot of The Beatles' best work was never released on an album. You couldn't get away with that nowadays as singles only seem to be adverts for albums. I think The Beatles have the greatest and most varying back catalogue of any band before and since them. For me, they are the greatest and most talented band who ever lived.

In my opinion, The Beatles will be remembered in hundreds of a years time the same way Mozart and Beethoven are nowdays for achieveing musical perfection because some of the stuff they have done (particularly on Revolver) makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It's possibly a bold thing to suggest, but I stand by it.

Some good points in that post, particularly the highlighted ones. It really is amazing the sheer scope of their output considering they were together as a recording band for such a short space of time. The Beatles are unique, no question about that.

Thought so.

Take drugs, get pissed, be a gobshite and makes shite derivative music - Legend

Be a nice quiet bloke who actually tries to do something worthwhile - Twat.

The world has gone mad, people.

Very laudable and I totally agree. Of course, like every rule, this one has an exception: Chris Martin - little tit.

Radiohead are terrible. 3 or 4 good songs but in general shite.

original they may well be, doesn't make it good though

Airbag

Paranoid Android

Let Down

Karma Police

No Surprises

High and Dry

Fake Plastic Trees

Bones

Just

Street Spirit

Bodysnatchers

Nude

National Anthem

Creep

And that's just the tip of an iceberg.

Really Monty... I understand why people like Creep and all that (obviously they're wrong, like totally wrong) but that song he played tonight? Jesus Christ man, it might have been the worst song I've ever heard in my life. No shit of bull.

Chris is right. It was so bad it hurt my soul.

Airbag

Paranoid Android

Let Down

Karma Police

No Surprises

High and Dry

Fake Plastic Trees

Bones

Just

Street Spirit

Bodysnatchers

Nude

National Anthem

Creep

And that's just the tip of an iceberg.

Jigsaw falling into place is an awesome tune as is Thinking About you.

And you can throw in the Pyramid song too.

Very laudable and I totally agree. Of course, like every rule, this one has an exception: Chris Martin - little tit.

Chris Martin is hardly "quiet" though is he?

Anyway, Radiohead are ace, it doesn't matter what any of you non-believers think, as you are all wrong.

I think we've already established we disagree on this. Genuinely funny and humble bloke that Martin chap. How anyone can watch his Zomb-Aid appearance in Shaun of the dead and not like him is beyond me.

I think we've already established we disagree on this. Genuinely funny and humble bloke that Martin chap. How anyone can watch his Zomb-Aid appearance in Shaun of the dead and not like him is beyond me.

Two words: his voice. That is all it takes for me. I fucking hate his silly falsetto thing. It drives me nuts.