You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think it’s a great film but agreed, many better came before. 

Even forgetting Scorsese's previous work, I'm not sure I'd even say it was a great film in its own right. For me, it's a fairly middle-of-the-road crime thriller. Dicaprio and Damon are good, but Nicholson positively chews the scenery, and Winstone continues his ability to murder any accent.

The finale was almost laughable, from the daisy-chain of headshots to the final - painfully literal - shot of the rat against the building. 

Suffice to say, I preferred Infernal Affairs. Glad you like it though. Opinions, eh?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Even forgetting Scorsese's previous work, I'm not sure I'd even say it was a great film in its own right. For me, it's a fairly middle-of-the-road crime thriller. Dicaprio and Damon are good, but Nicholson positively chews the scenery, and Winstone continues his ability to murder any accent.

The finale was almost laughable, from the daisy-chain of headshots to the final - painfully literal - shot of the rat against the building. 

Suffice to say, I preferred Infernal Affairs. Glad you like it though. Opinions, eh?

I thought The Departed was ordinary,but so was that Infernal Affairs too. It seems Korean cinema gangsters are as stupid as their Hollywood counterparts.

41 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Nicholson is ace in it!!!!! I really like it. Haven't seen the other one. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

I love The Departed but was underwhelmed on first viewing, it gets much better on subsequent viewings. The dialogue and performances are top notch, especially from Di Caprio and Wahlberg. 

Baldwin is great as well. I actually don't mind Ray Winstone in it either even though his accent is woeful. They should have just kept him cockney. 

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah, I like him in it but he does get slated for the role quite a bit.

Well it's easy to measure him against previous performances that most performances ever couldn't stand up too. 

The business. Danny Dyer and the same pricks that are in every other Danny Dyer film. Snorting gear with slaaaags and saying cunt and bollocks a lot. Script written by a 10 year old ''The best thing about losing everything is that you have nothing left to loose'' being a particular favorite line.

As a serious film -1/10 as a comedy 8/10

The Fablemans

Steven Spielberg's latest Oscar nominated film. Far from being a blockbuster or dramatic schmaltz-fest, The Fablemans appears to be a hugely introspective and often heartwarming tale of a young Jewish boy who fast becomes fascinated with film-making.

How much of this is based upon Spielberg's own life, I do not know.

Michelle Williams is brilliant as young Sammy's free spirited mother and David Lynch steals the show with an inspired cameo.

Definitely at least 40 minutes too long and I can't imagine there being much re-watchability, but I really enjoyed The Fablemans.

7.5/10 Nodi Ezra Real Debrid

• Upvote 1

On 19/11/2022 at 23:12, Carvalho Diablo said:

Aftersun

Just finished watching this little British film and I'm floored by the 2 lead performances from Paul Mescal and 11 year old Frankie Corio, as a young dad and his estranged daughter who go away to Torremolinos on holiday.

I thought I saw the twist coming early but I completely misjudged it, just a sensational film, perhaps with a nod to Submarine.

Highly, highly recommended, the little girl is gonna be a star.

9/10 Nodi Ezra Real Debrid

Watched Aftersun last night, agree with all of the above. Two great acting performances. 

For a film where not much actually happens, it evokes a huge amount of thoughts and feelings.

The dance scene at the end was perfectly done. The music throughout was well chosen.

23 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Baldwin is great as well. I actually don't mind Ray Winstone in it either even though his accent is woeful. They should have just kept him cockney. 

Well it's easy to measure him against previous performances that most performances ever couldn't stand up too. 

Walberg is also great in it.

Think its a boss film.

• Upvote 2

As we never get to the cinema anymore, we've only just got to watching Everything, Everywhere, All At Once; it's astonishing, completely unlike anything I've ever seen before. It has a great aesthetic, the script and acting are superb and it's wonderfully emotive. I loved it. 9/10.

I also watched Bill and Ted Face the Music last week. It is none of the above but I still enjoyed for the 'member berries. 6/10.

I watched Schindlers List right the way through for the first time the other night, I don't know how I haven't before, it's probably as near you could get to depicting the horrors of that dreadful time in history. Three very good actors right there particularly Liam Neeson plus the speck of dust in my eye at the end.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I watched Schindlers List right the way through for the first time the other night, I don't know how I haven't before, it's probably as near you could get to depicting the horrors of that dreadful time in history. Three very good actors right there particularly Liam Neeson plus the speck of dust in my eye at the end.

Its one of the greatest films of all time. Absolutely horrible to watch but every person needs to see it to get even 1% close to how utterly fucking horrifying that period of time was. Agreed with the end, tears rightly flow. 

Neeson, Kingsley and Feinnes are unbelievable in it. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its one of the greatest films of all time. Absolutely horrible to watch but every person needs to see it to get even 1% close to how utterly fucking horrifying that period of time was. Agreed with the end, tears rightly flow. 

Neeson, Kingsley and Feinnes are unbelievable in it. 

Perhaps I'm a stone hearted arl twat but Schindler's List never did it for me.

Imo films like The Killing Fields, The Deer Hunter and several others affected me far more and packed a far greater emotional wallop.

Episode 9 of Band of Brothers, Why We Fight, was also much more harrowing.

Just my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Perhaps I'm a stone hearted arl twat but Schindler's List never did it for me.

Imo films like The Killing Fields, The Deer Hunter and several others affected me far more and packed a far greater emotional wallop.

Episode 9 of Band of Brothers, Why We Fight, was also much more harrowing.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion on films is like your taste in food mate. 

I don’t think Schindler’s List “does it” for anyone other than maniacs. That’s the whole point. The slow build up is absolutely phenomenal but the film is harrowing. It’s a complete masterpiece. It’s also (and the pianist is up there) the worst of the worst 

She Said

Investigative drama about Harvey Weinstein and the two NYT reporters who broke the story of his history of sexual assaults and rape within his Miramax company.

A brilliant cast, headed by Carey Mulligan, and a tight script make this a very powerful film.

Perhaps not quite as hefty as All The President's Men or Spotlight, but definitely cut from the same cloth.

God bless those incredible brave women who were brave enough to speak out and may Weinstein rot.

8.5/10 Nodi Ezra Real Debrid

• Upvote 1