You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Pacific (Band of Brothers II)

Gav

However, it is grim, uncomfortable watching. B of B was alway superb and none of it was difficult to watch. It was actually quite heroic in the true sense (not in the bullshit Hollywood sense).

But the Pacific campaign and hence this programme is unremittingly fucking grim. One long, sweaty, jungle fight after another on shitty little islands.

A great programme but much more uncomfortable viewing that BofB

Your a fucking tool you know that. Should they change the show then and make it less realistic and more hollywood rather that as brutal as it was? The show cant begin to explain what it was like but give a indication as accuratly as it can.

Its grim cos it was grim.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your pointless abuse and for showing what it would have been like if I had not gone to University.

Your analysis is as weak as your spelling.

I pointed out a problem with the programme. The nature of the war in the Pacific was too grim and too disjointed for it to be as successful as a piece of television as Band of Brothers. I am not sure why this would get a chav like you so excited

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Thanks for your pointless abuse and for showing what it would have been like if I had not gone to University.

Is that your default retort? It's pompous and ineffective. I'd wager that you went to an average University and achieved an average grade, just like most people that feel the need to bring up education in completely random circumstances.

Some of the people I was educated with are some of the most stupid people I've ever met.

I pointed out a problem with the programme. The nature of the war in the Pacific was too grim and too disjointed for it to be as successful as a piece of television as Band of Brothers. I am not sure why this would get a chav like you so excited

So the war in Europe was grim but not as grim as in the Pacific and therefore able to be a succesful tv show?

If you have gone to uni i'd ask for my tuition fees back cos it seems to have not done you alot in all fairness unless you did a business studies degree then i understand.

i'm not getting the outrage here - maybe i've missed something, but all i read from truefan999 'grim' comment is directed at the nature of the war in the pacific theatre, not the show itself.

i think the show is every bit as interesting as band of brothers, but it is certainly very savage and bleak at times.

like the show portrays, you aren't going to get a 'romanticized' war that so often is attributed to the european theatre. the enemy is different, they aren't like us. the marines had never seen or fought against such fanatical people.

you don't get the battles fought on rich historic locations or urban centers. the element of civilian interaction that makes war such a tragedy is missing. these are shithole islands in the middle of nowhere, that pretty much nobody ever knew or cared about. the islands are 'worthless' except as a strategic position or simply a human meat grinder. what they are fighting for becomes far more confusing and difficult to understand.

imagine if you will, what it would be like in combat knowing that you couldn't just retreat at the first sign of trouble....war on an island certainly would add a dimension of futility and doom to the scenario. at guadalcanal, the marines are dumped on the island to hold off the entire jap armed forces while being abandoned by the navy.

the show is bleak, it is harsh, and that i think is a tribute to quality of the show and the historical accuracy of the situation.

Guest TK-421
...it is grim, uncomfortable watching. B of B was alway superb and none of it was difficult to watch. It was actually quite heroic in the true sense (not in the bullshit Hollywood sense).

But the Pacific campaign and hence this programme is unremittingly fucking grim. One long, sweaty, jungle fight after another on shitty little islands.

Sounds great!

So the war in Europe was grim but not as grim as in the Pacific and therefore able to be a succesful tv show?

If you have gone to uni i'd ask for my tuition fees back cos it seems to have not done you alot in all fairness unless you did a business studies degree then i understand.

Actually I have a degree, a masters and a PhD and all from Russell group Universities.

Now pay attention to what I actually said. The nature of the war in the Pacific both in terms of the grim nature of island/jungle fighting and the disjointed nature of the campaign make it more difficult to encapsulate in the type of narrative structure needed for a programme of this nature. Unlike the European campaign which lends itself more easily to a structured narrative. Also in the European campaign you had the "grand battles" and simple lines of combat and structured advanced.

In the pacific you did not have any of that. It was one grim battle over one pointless mound of dirt after another.

As a result it is a high quality TV programme and better than 99.9% of the shite on TV these days but it was always going to struggle compared to BofB.

It must have been absolute madness. Each and every Island was akin to an Omaha beach style action. Then press inwards to kill every Japanese soldier and move on to the next island. Repeat over and over and your chances of getting killed increase as you get closer to Japan.

Can you imagine?

you see gentlemen - war such as this is why nuclear weapons are needed - they should have gone straight to firebombing tokyo civilians - its what they ended up doing anyway

From what i can recall the first atomic bombs tested by the US were in July 1945 and the bombing of Hiroshima was in August of that year. The war in the Pacific started in 1941!

Just watched the first two episodes on Sky 3. Breathtaking and truly frightening, I feel shellshocked now. As some of you have already said, it's fuckin bleak but an incredible series so far - this and BoB should be shown to all schoolkids.

Just watched it on SKY 3 as well....SKY are teasing bastards

The series looks awesome, must be a hell of an undertaking to try to recreate that

Box set out for Xmas ?

Episode 6, taking the airfield scene, FUCK ME!

Unfuckingbelievable ...that sequence has eclipsed any action scenes in BoB ,Private Ryan ,assembly,brotherhood and any other war movie i've ever seen.Blew me away completly

and on a sidenote ,anyone that has played the Call Of Duty world at war game,the similarities between this episode and the games Airstrip scene is uncanny,i'd say its definatly been used as a model/guide

i won't ever allow myself to play video games because i am absolutely positive that with a game like CoD i would lose myself for days/weeks/months playing it.

idle hands and all that...

and on a sidenote ,anyone that has played the Call Of Duty world at war game,the similarities between this episode and the games Airstrip scene is uncanny,i'd say its definatly been used as a model/guide

I can't play CoD' after about 10 mins I get violently sick, puking my guts up. Must be some kind of motion sickness? no other game does that. The film clover field did the same.

I can't play CoD' after about 10 mins I get violently sick, puking my guts up. Must be some kind of motion sickness? no other game does that. The film clover field did the same.

mmmmkayyy ,no idea if this is sarcasm,wit or fact

i won't ever allow myself to play video games because i am absolutely positive that with a game like CoD i would lose myself for days/weeks/months playing it.

idle hands and all that...

Only games I'm bothered with are the WWII /Vietnam ones and I can understand from experience what you are saying....played that fucking game evry night for months

Only games I'm bothered with are the WWII /Vietnam ones and I can understand from experience what you are saying....played that fucking game evry night for months

yup - i've sat and watched some of my younger relatives playing CoD at christmas, and i wanted it more than a junkie needs his daily fix.

i have way too much spare time and would become a hard-core addict very quickly.