You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

Tits'n'Ass will be hoping the Novak v Rafa match goes the distance. If the winner of that match gets a decent rest after a short-ish match, he'll be able to dominate the final. If the Greek gets up a head of steam, I'd expect to see plenty of time-wasting from Nadal, or plenty of pretending to be injured from Djokovic.

Watching this Nadal - Djokovic match is don’t get me wrong gripping to view and unbelievably skilful but it’s  like the First World War in which every inch of land is fought over and no man will yield .  Thats how it is watching these two, I think they lose track of games but fight every point as if it’s life or death and brutally fight to the end….But McEnroe v Borg it ain’t 

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Watching this Nadal - Djokovic match is don’t get me wrong gripping to view and unbelievably skilful but it’s  like the First World War in which every inch of land is fought over and no man will yield .  Thats how it is watching these two, I think they lose track of games but fight every point as if it’s life or death and brutally fight to the end….But McEnroe v Borg it ain’t 

I kinda take it back that third set was unbelievable

6 hours ago, Trumo said:

Tits'n'Ass will be hoping the Novak v Rafa match goes the distance. If the winner of that match gets a decent rest after a short-ish match, he'll be able to dominate the final. If the Greek gets up a head of steam, I'd expect to see plenty of time-wasting from Nadal, or plenty of pretending to be injured from Djokovic.

Gotta love how these beasts turn it around with a days rest after locking horns for  several gruelling hours in heat yet footballers in a team sport are “tired” after 2 90 minute games a week

Only saw the last set, but Djokovic’s level looked impossibly high. Must be like playing against a brick wall. This match and the Wimbledon final against Federer in 2019 will be the crucial ones which cement him as ending up with the most slams out of the 3 of them. He’ll do it with plenty to spare now, too.

The way Novak just kept hitting the baseline to break Rafa for the second time in the final set was unbelievable. Gutted to see Nadal out of the French, I usually hate domination in any sport but something feels just right about him winning every French Open ever.

There are rumours that this will be Federer's last season, what an era to follow once Nadal and Djokovic also retire.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

The way Novak just kept hitting the baseline to break Rafa for the second time in the final set was unbelievable. Gutted to see Nadal out of the French, I usually hate domination in any sport but something feels just right about him winning every French Open ever.

There are rumours that this will be Federer's last season, what an era to follow once Nadal and Djokovic also retire.

I think it goes to show what an incredible achievement it was of Andy Murray to just compete with those three . I know he only ended up with three slams  (I say only three) and two Olympic individual golds but to do that in an era when Federer , Djokovic and Nadal have hoovered up 58 majors between them, then for Murray to get to number one in the world is pretty amazing .

To put his achievement into context the last player to be number one in the world other than Nadal , Djokovic and Federer was Andy Roddick back in 2003  

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I think it goes to show what an incredible achievement it was of Andy Murray to just compete with those three . I know he only ended up with three slams  (I say only three) and two Olympic individual golds but to do that in an era when Federer , Djokovic and Nadal have hoovered up 58 majors between them, then for Murray to get to number one in the world is pretty amazing .

To put his achievement into context the last player to be number one in the world other than Nadal , Djokovic and Federer was Andy Roddick back in 2003  

Yeah. Pity about the injury or he'd have won a few more majors. Great player.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Yeah. Pity about the injury or he'd have won a few more majors. Great player.

Yeah undoubtedly…And lost 8 finals to either Federer or Djokovic so it’s hardly like he blew any of them.

Olympic golds are the equivalent of a slam to be fair and what tends to be forgotten is he basically did a Maradona in winning the Davis Cup for GB .

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Stan Wawrinka is another who has done well to win majors in an era with such a dominant trio. He actually won 3 of the 4, as well as the Davis Cup and an Olympic gold (in the doubles).

Wawrinka was a fabulous player not as consistent as the other four don’t know whether that’s down to injuries or loss of form but when he was on it he could blow anyone away which is what tended to happen when he won a slam as he won three of the four finals he played in 

As likeable as Murray is and with his achievements to be very much respected, I don't think he gets to be put in "the other 4" bracket. It's these 3 by a fucking gargantuan mile.

Murray (3), Wawrinka (3), Del Potro (1), Cilic (1) and whoever it was who won the US open (Zverev maybe?) have what 9 Slams that weren't won by the other 3 in something like 15 years.

This tells me I should do my research before pulling out wonder stats from my arse as I have probably missed a couple.

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

As likeable as Murray is and with his achievements to be very much respected, I don't think he gets to be put in "the other 4" bracket. It's these 3 by a fucking gargantuan mile.

Murray (3), Wawrinka (3), Del Potro (1), Cilic (1) and whoever it was who won the US open (Zverev maybe?) have what 9 Slams that weren't won by the other 3 in something like 15 years.

This tells me I should do my research before pulling out wonder stats from my arse as I have probably missed a couple.

Not Zverev, but Thiem.

• Upvote 1

I think Murray winning three slams plus two olympics and the world tour finals, whilst reaching 9 finals and holding number 1 sport, probably puts him above the likes of Wawrinka. He also has insane stats that put him in the top ten ever for some achievements. For example, he's 8th ever for most amount of career wins (behind Sampras in 7th), he is 9th and 7th highest ever win rate at Aussie Open and Wimbledon respectively. He has the 5th highest win rate every on grass in this history of the sport (Sampras, Federer, Djokovic, Bjorg), 7th highest amount of wins in Hard courts in the sports history. As for his entire non-slam career, he has won the 9th most Master titles - more than Sampras. 10th best win ration in the sport. 5th best grass court player in history (entire career). 6th in the 'most match wins' table. Also the number 1 most successful in the olympics too, according to wikipedia. 4th every in prize money, just ahead of Sampras. 

He isn't in the same category as the other 3, but he's also a step above. We really are in 'in any other generation' territory with Murray. He'd have had an insane amount of titles. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, numero veinticinco said:

I think Murray winning three slams plus two olympics and the world tour finals, whilst reaching 9 finals and holding number 1 sport, probably puts him above the likes of Wawrinka. He also has insane stats that put him in the top ten ever for some achievements. For example, he's 8th ever for most amount of career wins (behind Sampras in 7th), he is 9th and 7th highest ever win rate at Aussie Open and Wimbledon respectively. He has the 5th highest win rate every on grass in this history of the sport (Sampras, Federer, Djokovic, Bjorg), 7th highest amount of wins in Hard courts in the sports history. As for his entire non-slam career, he has won the 9th most Master titles - more than Sampras. 10th best win ration in the sport. 5th best grass court player in history (entire career). 6th in the 'most match wins' table. Also the number 1 most successful in the olympics too, according to wikipedia. 4th every in prize money, just ahead of Sampras. 

He isn't in the same category as the other 3, but he's also a step above. We really are in 'in any other generation' territory with Murray. He'd have had an insane amount of titles. 

Agree with that, so this is what research looks like.

I think Wawrinka himself said that he doesn't belong in the same category as Murray due to all the slam finals he made.