You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's football

Newport

I can see both sides of it, but my main worry would be that there appears to have been no benefit in the ladies apparently doing it by the book by going to their administrators, so think things will be done more furtively in future.

Anyway,enough of the seriousness, here is Alisha Lehmann of Villa  and a bonus Douglas Luiz for the laydeez

1_lehmann-insta-grab-4.jpg

burton-on-trent-uk-jan-23rd-alisha-lehmann-of-aston-villa-pictured-during-the-barclays-fa-womens-super-league-match-between-leicester-city-and-aston-villa-at-the-pirelli-stadium-burton-upon-trent-.jpg

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yeah, I get that. The same is probably true, in certain circumstances, in other workplaces. Still a bit shit, like.

Looking at the two articles I posted on the first page, football would be a bloody interesting place if Alisson and Klopp were partners and Nat Phillips had got his missus to injure Van Dijk.

Average attendances in the Women's Super League have increased by 200% after England's triumph at Euro 2022.

Kelly Simmons, the director of the women's professional game, also says average attendances in the Women's Championship are up by 85%.

England won a first major women's tournament when they beat Germany in the Euro 2022 final in July.

"The Lionesses' victory propelled the women's game in this country to new levels," said Simmons.

On 10/12/2022 at 13:16, TheHowieLama said:

Average attendances in the Women's Super League have increased by 200% after England's triumph at Euro 2022.

Kelly Simmons, the director of the women's professional game, also says average attendances in the Women's Championship are up by 85%.

England won a first major women's tournament when they beat Germany in the Euro 2022 final in July.

"The Lionesses' victory propelled the women's game in this country to new levels," said Simmons.

Well the men have just seen to those crowds shrinking faster than a dick while  looking at  a naked picture of Susan Boyle.

• 2 months later...

I fucking hate it. Number of times I've clicked on a link on BBC football eg Liverpool target Manchester United Striker. I'm thinking what the fuck? Click on it and it's fucking woman's footy. Ah fuck off.

Plus the commentators. I would not watch the Champions league final if we were in it and a woman was commentating.

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I fucking hate it. Number of times I've clicked on a link on BBC football eg Liverpool target Manchester United Striker. I'm thinking what the fuck? Click on it and it's fucking woman's footy. Ah fuck off.

Plus the commentators. I would not watch the Champions league final if we were in it and a woman was commentating.

What if it was a black woman? 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

For one reason or another I watched quite a bit of the women's footy over the weekend (live footy on telly at 3pm on a Saturday!)

There is some quality, but the goalies - jeez, they're awful. 

I think the better goalie coaches go into the men's game and there are no (not yet anyway) female role models for the upcoming female keepers to look up to.

I'll probably get slagged for this and maybe rightly so but i'm going to say it anyway because it fucking grinds my gears.

I am sick of hearing about women's football. Not because it's women but because it is shit.

The coverage it gets goes way beyond the interest in it and the level it is played at. I do not know a single women who has even a passing interest in it. I am sure others will disagree and have wives and daughters that follow it and that is great. I have 3 daughters and not one would watch it if it was across the street and free.

A healthy woman's game is brilliant, I am all for it. it should be supported and funded. I suspect however that most tickets are bought by men for daughters or whatever. If a women's league is to be successful then how about women go and watch the thing. If they did I suspect they may get a few 1000's at matches and that is fine. Below conference level because that is the standard whether you admit it or not.

This is were I defo will get in the shit but the same applies to pundits and commentators. You have some women, I've no idea who she is, sitting next to Gerrard or Souness analyzing matches. Guys who have won European Cups played at World Cups alongside a female pundit who would not get a kick in a male under 16 game. 

I like golf have a decent handicap and play competitions all the time. They would not lob me on next to Tiger Woods. Not because I don't appreciate and understand the sport but I have never experienced that level of competition.

I repeat this is not sexist but particularly the punditry and commentator side of it stinks of box ticking. Have a womens game enjoy it, be successful, I wish it all the best, but tone the coverage down a bit until at least women regularly fill stadiums.

• Upvote 2